Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,093 times

Advertisements

Walking around Brentwood,Westwood,Bev Hills, you'lle see lots of jeans and tees..$600 jeans..and $200 tees..that's trendy West LA for you dressing down for less; however most of LA outside the pricey zip code hipster zones dress statement oriented for much less coin.

Last edited by Scott5280; 04-14-2009 at 02:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 04:53 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
IMO people in LA dress a lot more "creatively" than other cities, but I really see little evidence most of the clothes are expensive, whereas in cities like Dallas, Atlanta, people are more "brand happy." LA fashion is a lot more about being "unique" than spending a lot of money. I'm not saying people don't spend money on clothes here (I know they do) but it's not as obvious. If you can pull a unique, cool look from cheap clothes, you will fit in fine here, compared to Dallas, where it's more about the brand of clothes than the look.
I'd agree with you. You see a lot of cool looks here but everyone isn't so brand crazy. People tend to want to look more unique.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
I don't wear anything with a billboard on the front of the shirt. Who cares if your wearing a shirt made by Hollister. I always thought Hollister was a city in California anyway. I am not from there so why advertise? As far as I can see most of the T shirts I see or even the sweat shirts with logos look the same as one without a logo. Why does someone get off having A and F posted on there chest, butt, or anywhere else? Do these designers make clothes that actually look good or just clothing items with a logo on them?

As for me I am not the most stylish individual. Levis and a pullover are plenty for me. Nikes are cool, although I am in flip flops more than likely. Stick all that in my Porsche and it really doesn't matter what I wear anyway.

By the way my wife shopps at Ross. I can't stand digging through racks looking for my size, but she loves it. Then again she has my sizes and I don't have to hang out at Ross.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:10 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
people here wear brands like gucci, prada, bcbg etc etc. sometimes its knock off, sometimes its real.

the majority have their own style. old, new, hip, crip, military chic, goth, sport, etc etc.

also, thrift stores have always been big. they might have cooled of a bit in the early 2000's, but for those kids with personality, the thrift store has always been the premier shopping destination. and even then you have the goodwill, sal. army, the mom and pop stores, but also the more trendy stores on melrose, SL, echo, hwood. it can get expensive.

having money here doesnt nec. mean you look like it.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM

73 posts, read 147,345 times
You know, after all is said and done, people all over the US dress the same way with minor variations. I would say California has a huge influence on younger fashions. With the exceptions of a small minority, I found people in Los Angeles dress just like people in Chicago and in New York.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 AM

293 posts, read 893,293 times
Talking People in LA wear clothes?

I love it when the weather turns hot... High Five!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
A lot of people in LA mix high and low fashion $250 jeans with a $20 vintage tank/or tee and Chanel ballet flats (that they bought from a resale boutique)

Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,942 times
Here in Los Angeles I think it is more about how you look in what you wear. One of the things I have noticed in other cities (I won't name any) people are really big on name brands, but don't necessarily care about how it looks on them. Some think just having on Prada, or Guess, or True Religion does the trick.

In L.A. none of that seems to matter if you have a pot belly. It seems people out here would rather wear Levis and a Hanes T-shirt and be fit with a nice physique than wear the expensive brands and be a little pudgy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles