Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedEvergreen View Post
See what I mean? Ignore the truth and focus on lies. I am not crabby, I am usually mild mannered but serious about my lifestyle. I plan on becoming a detective which not using sterotypical thinking is a wonderful occupation. I have a strong Brooklyn accent which is highly admired by people of my kind.

I am happy you realize the truth about LA driving. All else to be said by me is that Angelinos like you love lies. I know people from other parts of Chicago (namely the northeast side which has people like you) that say bad things about the south side.
Guess what, not all of it is bad. Most of it is. The same is true with the LA metro area. I have to go to bed now but remember my words. Good night and I hope to never love LA again. Gimme a "sawsige and uh brat" instead of whatever health food you eat.
The previous response was a bit of bandying between us uptown_urbanist and me, not between you and uptown_urbanist. But, c'mon, by your own admission your experience was limited to a month or less at a time, wherein you claim a full knowledge of the breadth and depth of LA's soccer mom, minority and club (by which I'm guessing you've invoked "promiscuity") culture. I've live here my entire life, with years-long interludes in other parts of the country, East Coast and northerly, and even I don't know everything about LA. But I'm afforded some basis for comparison, and, jeez, people are people. There are really no overarching statements I can make. Except that the driving is pretty bad here. And I can talk, because just yesterday, well, I was kind of an assh*le.

Last edited by Bunjee; 04-29-2009 at 11:37 PM..

Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
Yes, I blended posts, but figured that people would read the various posts and connect the dots. Yeah, I was making fun of one of your earlier posts, but it was so over-the-top I just couldn't resist. I wasn't calling you (Enchanted Evergreen) crabby (although your posts seem to indicate at least a rough day) or otherwise insulting you personally. I don't care what accent a person has, although based on your posts it seems that you do). I'm happy to hear that you try to avoid stereotypical thinking, and simpy ask that you try to apply those principles in life beyond the police force.

I don't live in LA anymore, although I think it's a great city and I would certainly welcome a chance to go back. Like Bunjee, I've lived in a variety of places, and know that people are people wherever they happen to live. LA is a very tough city to understand, and it takes years to get to know it. I only lived there for three years and barely scratched the surface of what it has to offer.

I'm not sure what a "person like me" is, other than I don't like to make blanket-generalizations about the nature of people based on where they live, especially when you're talking about a city and metro area as large and diverse as LA.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:41 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
EnchantedEvergreen
Your visits sound like a lot of dating that gets emotional real fast [maybe I am wrong so corrected me]. Or were you staying in LA for extended periods looking for work & babes? I, too, have experienced stuck-up people but quickly shed those who enjoy flaunting & self-centeredness. But to be quite honest, nobody in LA can hold a candle to New York for outright rudeness & insults and I lived there for 3 yrs [I love NYC but there are way too many vicious snobs].

Overall Los Angeles is a fairly mellow city. Hang out at the beach & meet some healthy people [great parties at beach-front houses\ condos at night - lots of good memories for me]. People tend to not talk to total strangers more out here but not because they are conceited [it's more a distance thing]. Many people live in houses w/ fenced yards & have more privacy than other large cities [Chicago\ NYC] that are high-rise apartments. Friends & neighbors but also just sitting out in the back yard & look at your orange tree grow or swim if you have a pool. Being a little less confined may mean being a little less outgoing, IMO

Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 AM

158 posts, read 660,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedEvergreen View Post
I have a strong Brooklyn accent which is highly admired by people of my kind.

What the hell does that mean?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I think that, many times, people come to Los Angeles with a preconceived idea of what it will be like, based either on what they've seen in the media or, perhaps, previous visits. Once they get here and realize that it's not what they expected, they can become disappointed and bitter.
or they just get pissed off when they dont "make it" as an actor/actress/musician/whathaveyou. they have to blame something. blame LA. i happen to love SoCal. i would give almost anything to live there. preferably SD though.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
i happen to love SoCal. i would give almost anything to live there.
What is stopping you?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
There's two kinds of people: (1) people who like L.A., and (2) people who dislike L.A.

I doubt if either side is going to convert the other side to their viewpoint.

Rant on.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 PM

305 posts, read 771,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkyone View Post
Or maybe people in LA are too big of wussies to handle a real winter?
LOL.

If we can't handle winters, everyone else outside of L.A./California must be wussies to be unable to handle earthquakes. And I have a similar story to share as well.

When I was in high school there was a girl from Ohio who had just came to our school and she happened to like her new California home... that is, until we had an earthquake before class. While everyone else was kinda standing still and waiting out this small tremor, do you know what this girl did?

She just ran straight out of the door in a straight line, out of the building and she ended up almost on the other side of campus... after that, she started crying.

We all just kind of chuckled afterwards.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 PM

41 posts, read 120,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
LOL.

If we can't handle winters, everyone else outside of L.A./California must be wussies to be unable to handle earthquakes. And I have a similar story to share as well.

When I was in high school there was a girl from Ohio who had just came to our school and she happened to like her new California home... that is, until we had an earthquake before class. While everyone else was kinda standing still and waiting out this small tremor, do you know what this girl did?

She just ran straight out of the door in a straight line, out of the building and she ended up almost on the other side of campus... after that, she started crying.

We all just kind of chuckled afterwards.

haha what a loser...

and whats this infatuation with earthquakes people from the east coast always talk about? they are always saying "Cali will fall into the ocean" or something...its just weird.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:40 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,351 times
What's all this talk about people here not knowing what "real winter" is? I grew up in Maryland and never once used snow chains until I moved to California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles