Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:38 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9TheCityOfAngeles9 View Post
Its funny how people continue speaking on the hip hop culture know nothing about it and they speak on it like their scholars .
It's quite hilarious. They take things for face value. "I saw Nelly talking about sex with a girl, therefore hip-hop is about sex". That's what some of them sound like. There have been plenty of genres that talk about such things, that came before hip-hop. Heck, theres even christian hip-hop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 01:43 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
From the news report there was an argument. Apparently it was bad enough that someone who could afford a Mercedes Truck pulled out a gun and killed the young man and also lost his own freedom. I think the overly glamorized tough guy image in rap causes problems. I mean a Rocker can wear a dress and lipstick and still have fans. Imagine Jay-Z in a dress how credible would he be to his fans.
But the rocker is still doing drugs, and objectifying women, regardless of what he is wearing. Have you seen that brett michales show? It's just like that flavor flav show.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:47 AM

163 posts, read 493,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The thing is, rap is getting blamed for alot of the social ills in our society that have existed LOOOOOONG before rap came to popularity. It's like hip-hop is some sort of scapegoat for American Society as a whole. There have been plenty of negetive events that have happended without the help of hip-hop. Columbine, OK city bombing, VTech shooting, shooting in immigrant service place in upstate NY, Sept 11, and many, many more.
true

a whole lot of things happened without hip hop . Slavery and mistreatment of people came way before hip hop

Drugs being shipped into this country by our own goverment came way before hip hop .

The Nooses hung on the trees in Jena wasnt hip hop related

Our environment isnt controlled by rap music

But rap music is controlled by our enviornment

Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 AM

163 posts, read 493,974 times
BennyPhoenix was the rock musician Phil Spector influenced by rap music when he killed that woman ?

Did Charles Mansion get inspired by Trick Daddy when he plotted all those murders.

Richard Ramierez was a fan of rap too right ?

Did President Bush listen to Bombs over Bagdad by outkast before he decided to go in to Iraq ?

Let me guess Maydolf got influenced by Ice Cubes jackin for beats

the stupidity of some of these people

Old 05-20-2009, 03:03 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
It really gets me that both the shooter and the victim are from Atlanta. Were they both just visiting here? If so, where did the gun come from? And why didn't they settle their score in Atlanta?

LA, particularly Beverly Center, seems like a really weird place for a shooting.

On pro-gun websites, they are calling this another shooting in a "Gun Free Zone," but Beverly Center isn't really a gun free zone since anyone with a concealed carry permit can carry in the mall, just like off-duty cops, etc.

Secondly, and kind of related, I saw a big rapper several years ago on his way to an awards show. He had a complete entourage, including ARMED security (and his security force didn't look like a bunch of gangbangers -- they were pro all the way).

Last edited by UB50; 05-20-2009 at 03:13 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 03:13 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
but when Rob Halford came out of the closet his fans were overwhelmingly supportive, probably because many of them already knew he was gay before he made it official.
I'm a dyed in the wool metalhead and me and my friends have been making Halford gay jokes since the late 1970's because even then it was whispered that he might be into men. So when he finally made it official, everybody just kinda yawned. As long as the music rocks, and Priest definitely does, who cares who musicians want to sleep with?

As for rap, whether you like the genre or not, the biggest problem as I see it is that it has become a loudspeaker that promotes some pretty ugly stereotypes of African-Americans as little more than greedy pimps and thugs. The KKK, in fact, uses those gangsta videos to promote their moronic cause.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:51 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9TheCityOfAngeles9 View Post
BennyPhoenix was the rock musician Phil Spector influenced by rap music when he killed that woman ?
In my original post, I mentioned Spector as being the exception to musicians of the past not engaging in the type of behavior associated with hip hop. Spector has a LONG history of gunplay dating FAR back before Lana Clarkson's death. Spector had the attitude towards open violence that many rappers have long before most of those rappers were born.

Quote:
Did Charles Mansion get inspired by Trick Daddy when he plotted all those murders.
Manson was a failed artist resentful of people who made it. His particular beef was with the Beach Boys, and his family were under the impression that Dennis Wilson was living on Cielo Drive when he told them to kill everyone in that house. He didn't realize that Dennis was no longer there. He also didn't know that Terry Melcher (the producer of Paul Revere & The Raiders and The Byrds, whom Manson also had a beef with) and his girlfriend Candice Bergen weren't there either, and Polanski and Tate had replaced him.

[quote]Richard Ramierez was a fan of rap too right ?

Ramirez was just a methhead psychopath who had an unhealthy "Asian fetish" which he took to murderous extremes. While not all of his victims were Asians, all of his murders took place in neighborhoods with large Asian populations. Ramirez appeared to be an AC/DC fan, but AC/DC can't be blamed for his actions. Just like the Son of Sam was a fan of Peter, Paul & Mary but they can't be blamed for his actions. The difference was that those acts who were favorites of serial killers weren't selling a package glorifying gang violence. Even certain R&B acts of the past who had connections to ghetto violence like pimp-turned-blues singer Larry Williams (or those who had friends in the ghetto underworld like Ike Turner or Johnny Watson) never glorified "gangsta" stuff.

Quote:
Did President Bush listen to Bombs over Bagdad by outkast before he decided to go in to Iraq ?
Probably not, as the song didn't exist at the time. Nevertheless gangsta rap's move towards embracing "gangsta capitalism" was perfectly in line with the Bush administration - i.e. Young Jeezy's production company called "Corporate Thugs Inc." and 50 Cent referring to Bush as "gangsta" (as a compliment)

Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Exactly right. Most rappers are middle class or working class kids who have invested a lot of time in their act. Gangsta rap, as a genre, is essentially dead, and most rappers in general are embracing their roles as entertainers, albeit with little creative or innovative effort.
I sense even certain rappers who DID have hood backgrounds would've become comedians if there was no rap. For example, Snoop Dogg - who genuinely did have a gang background - used gangsta rap to become a comedian and comic actor and is more successful from comedy than rap these days. Ice T, who also had a hood background, is far more successful as an actor than as a rapper these days (if not for his success the path from rap to acting success wouldn't exist). Same goes for Ice Cube.

Since so many rappers have gotten successful acting careers (Will Smith being the most successful of all) , that sends out a signal to struggling actors that by establishing themselves as rappers they have an additional chance of making it in the business. I happen to know a few rappers from entertainment industry families who see rap as part of their career strategy as actors.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:28 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
On pro-gun websites, they are calling this another shooting in a "Gun Free Zone," but Beverly Center isn't really a gun free zone since anyone with a concealed carry permit can carry in the mall, just like off-duty cops, etc.
You cannot get a concealed carry permit in Los Angeles.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
You cannot get a concealed carry permit in Los Angeles.
You can in some cities in LA County, but it'll cost you plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles