Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times

Advertisements

I moved to LA roughly three years ago from Columbus, OH. I feel the opposite as you when returning to the Midwest to visit friends and family. I feel that the people out there are quite laid back and very friendly. I do not get depressed... if anything I get nostalgic... but I'm always happy to know I'm flying back here at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 03:42 PM

95 posts, read 281,339 times
Depending on your definition of "long-term" I could be one of those people. I moved from Iowa to Los Angeles 5 years ago to work in entertainment. I ended up switching careers, but I don't see myself leaving Los Angeles anytime soon.

I love going back to Iowa to visit my family, but I honestly get bored after a few days. It's great to see my loved ones, but my life is in Los Angeles now and most of my friends have also left Iowa.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:21 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enltguy View Post
It sounds like YOU'VE gotten more tense. L.A. can do that. But it's actually that the midwest is so laid back that people tend to be more personal, because people don't really care there about ego and bull****. They just want to be your friend. You're a changed person, clearly. Too bad. No cool people in L.A. Just uptight egos and dumbasses everywhere. Saying a small prayer you're able to get back to your roots at some point.
Dated thread is dated.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Not trying to burn up thread space, but I am curious how many midwesterners move to LA and actually stay there for a lengthy time. If so how do you feel when you have to come back to the midwest to visit friends or family? Do you get depressed? When I come back to Indiana after being out west I get pretty down because it's so much more tense in the midwest. People here are so different and personal. So really I just wanna get some other people's opinions on this.
Boom! Me!!! Good question. I moved here in 98' at the age of 19 and never looked back. Originally from a stateline town between Milwaukee and Chicago, called Beloit. I don't get depressed when I go back, I just get bored. I never liked it home, always felt I belonged somewhere else. Found myself longing for things to do in the summers growing up. I lived in FT. Worth as a child from 3-11ish and even though Ft. Worth isn't a BIG city it was bigger than the 37k people from my hometown that we moved back to when I was 11 and so I always longed for a place with people out on the streets and things to do whenever.

I think when I first moved here, I didn't go back for almost 2 years. Going back is fun though. I just relax a lot and go see old friends. I try to keep from talking about Cali unless they ask because it can come off like I'm bragging or think I'm better. They will project that on you so I just act like it's no big deal, (because it isn't) and just enjoy my time there. I can only stomach about a week or so there before I start craving LA's madness again.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
No one returns to the Midwest? Where did you drag that random thought out of?

I work for a Fortune 500 corporation in the Midwest. We have several transplants from LA in the office now. They are in upper management positions. Lots of professionals are leaving CA for the Midwest.
Whoa! No need to over-analyze and contradict them just because your experience is better. Generally speaking, most transplants to Cali are from the midwest and a lot of them stay here. Do a lot go back? Yes! Do a lot of Cali people jump ship and move to the midwest?! Yes! But that wasn't his point, no need to make it personal. He didn't. There's a reason why the typical tv show or movie has a midwestern person moving to Cali searching for their dreams--it happens a lot. Doesn't mean that the reverse doesn't happen. Let's not take everything so literal and personal people...this thought wasn't random at all, this is a very well known occurrence.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
It sounds like YOU'VE gotten more tense. L.A. can do that. But it's actually that the midwest is so laid back that people tend to be more personal, because people don't really care there about ego and bull****. They just want to be your friend. You're a changed person, clearly. Too bad. No cool people in L.A. Just uptight egos and dumbasses everywhere. Saying a small prayer you're able to get back to your roots at some point.
Disagree with this. People care about ego and ish everywhere it's just different. There it's just more blue-collar and etc., "NO cool people in LA?" That's your experience, a lot of people in the midwest are super self-righteous and xenophobic. LA is known for being one of the most laidback of the big cities. If you don't like LA say that but own it, don't diss it because your experience is or was bad and then come here and project it on someone else. Here you might find chicks that dig boob jobs and etc, there you find chicks that obsess over buying Chevy Malibus and/or guys overly caught up in football because there's not much else going on. It goes both ways, it's just different cultures, the ego stuff plays out in both.

Note to the O.P. first thing I got when moving here was care about my money but don't let it be my center point. Too many people compare themselves to their friends back home or even here and feel down because they: don't own a home, own a vehicle or two and can afford this or that.
I got resolved a long time ago that if I want to enjoy this city, I'd have to do a few things right: Be good with my money. Budget my entertainment money and save up for stuff. Be patient, it's gonna take time to do a lot of things. A lot of my peeps have owned cribs since late 20s I probably won't until my mid-30s but that's fine because this city is so rich with other things. Don't compare myself to people. If you start doing that you'll lose. This city has a lot of wealth and when driving around it's easy to be like man, I wish I had that car, or that job or that house or yadda, yadda, yadda...but that will only lead to you feeling beneath this city and then you'll start to hate the city and the people. I've never felt like the general population of LA was a bunch of self-centered people. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot but it's a big city and every big city is going to have people who are rude, self-centered and etc., because it's a big city and people feel like they can't afford to be nice and think of others (I notice this when driving a lot). But that's all it is, generally, when I meet people, they are nice and cool and want to be good human beings like everyone else does. Take your time, work hard and don't put limits on yourself. My wife and I wanted to go to europe so we saved up and did it. We were patient about it. We're looking to buy within next 2 to 3 years, I'll be 35, no biggy. Take your time because LA is like fine wine, just get better if you sip it slow.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 PM

Just noticed how dated this thread is...

Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Absolutely not.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
For what it's worth, I have friends from Chicago that moved here decades ago and have zero plans to return except to visit family. They say they hate the snow. They have become Californians.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
For what it's worth, I have friends from Chicago that moved here decades ago and have zero plans to return except to visit family. They say they hate the snow. They have become Californians.
I feel the same way. Never liked it and a lot of people back home don't despite some acting like they do. I'd estimate 50/50 as far as those loving and those hating the snow and cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles