Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:46 PM

418 posts, read 1,734,837 times

Advertisements

[quote=adysmom;10580950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
A few more, taken taken about a half hour ago from my backyard. Pretty crazy looking -- but I think these may actually have been intentionally set by the fire patrol.

Hi, great pictures, what ares is that? I use to live on Markridge Road, off of Ramsdale.....
Thanks. That's La Crescenta, about a block south of Foothill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 07:55 AM

352 posts, read 482,836 times
I was in the middle of it down in Sunland . I watched the flames come up and over Mt Lukens and the hill they call "camel back" out my front door, then to my left the Big Tujunga area to Riverwood Ranch homes . I was surrounded by fire ! The smoke and ash were so thick ... and the smell was in the house too . I had a headache for about a week .

btw - if anyone has facebook , there is a group called The Station Fire, which gives updates .

Yesterday's update : Sept 13, 2009
Yesterday's firefighting efforts were concentrated on the east flank in the San Gabriel Wilderness and in the Mount Wilson area. Hand crews in the wilderness completed line construction from Hwy 2 down to Cogswell Reservoir thanks to the continued hard work and near perfect weather. Continual patrols and mop-up of at least 300-feet in from the perimeter lines continues. Interior smokes will continue through the next few days as residual fuels burn. The burnout operation from the back side of Mt Wilson toward Cogswell Reservoir was successful. Hard work these past few days has resulted in a successful understory burn. Infrared flights have not detected any hot spots in this area. Direct hand line construction is nearing completion in the Loomis Ranch and Alder Creek area and big horn sheep have been seen grazing in the area. Today's major goal is to complete remaining fire line and mop up at least 300-feet inside the perimeter. Some hot spots continue to be detected in and...

Old 09-14-2009, 04:44 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Prayers and well-wishes for everyone who's had to deal with this tragedy.

Everyone always asks if I'm scared of the earthquakes out here, but I'm far more afraid and upset by the fires every year.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Interesting article about the USGS's predictions of winter mudslides:

Federal scientists say risk of mudslides from Station fire extremely high | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I read that article, and I even clicked on the link and read the actual report from USGS. The scariest part of the assessment is that the scenarios mapped out aren't that far from the ordinary. They don't even get into the "pineapple express" - those series of storms that last for three to five days and dump 12" or more in the mountains. This assessment outlined a thunderstorm lasting three hours, or a regular rainstorm lasting twelve hours, under two conditions - with debris basins empty or with them full. I feel bad for anyone living along the mountain front. I grew up La Canada, and I know people who still live in La Crescenta and Tujunga. I hope they'll have time to get out if it gets that bad!

Old 09-25-2010, 08:03 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Default Post-fire response forensics

Forest Service releases Station fire transcripts

Old 09-25-2010, 10:22 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
"The transcripts also contain apparently joking comments about the fire burning the entire forest. In a statement, Tidwell said the remarks were “unfortunate.”

Oh my g-d. I hope heads roll for this.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:50 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
The county board of supervisors has been highly critical of the fire service all along; looks like they were right. Los Angeles lost a huge part of the Angeles Forest thanks to the ineptitude of the fire department. Makes me nervous now that the "santa ana" wind season is here.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:51 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The county board of supervisors has been highly critical of the fire service all along; looks like they were right. Los Angeles lost a huge part of the Angeles Forest thanks to the ineptitude of the fire department. Makes me nervous now that the "santa ana" wind season is here.
Forest Service, not fire department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles