Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
- Los Angeles had more established departments, especially in the police force. Many residents of San Pedro saw L.A. laws regarding/against saloons, gambling, prostitution, ect... beneficial and wanted those laws to become a part of San Pedro.
And that was another difference between San Pedro and Venice. Venetians saw those laws as oppressive and moralistic government interference in the lives of citizens, and really didn't want James E. Davis' LAPD (which vigorously enforced Prohibition laws) as the police force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 PM

342 posts, read 1,927,048 times
San Pedro didn't have to give LA its crown jewel (the port) in order to outlaw saloons, gambling, and prostitution. San Pedro could have outlawed those things itself.

I think the most likely scenario is that LA took San Pedro by force and used water as bait to lure in its prey.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:50 PM

As recently as a couple years ago the city of LA tried to take the El Toro military base in Orange County by force (through a long term land lease) so it could set up, own, and operate LAX south. I guess LA just takes what it wants and feels that the regular rules don't apply to them.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:06 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
As recently as a couple years ago the city of LA tried to take the El Toro military base in Orange County by force (through a long term land lease) so it could set up, own, and operate LAX south. I guess LA just takes what it wants and feels that the regular rules don't apply to them.
I doubt the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) would have approved an annexation of the El Toro base by Los Angeles as first and foremost the base is not contiguous to the City of Los Angeles, i.e. not in Los Angeles' sphere of influence, and therefore could not efficiently provide any services to that location (which is one of the factors for determining the viability of annexation). Regarding the long-term land lease, that's well within the rights of any city to pursue so that's not really anything to be 'opposed' to and its certainly not illegal.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:08 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
San Pedro didn't have to give LA its crown jewel (the port) in order to outlaw saloons, gambling, and prostitution. San Pedro could have outlawed those things itself.

I think the most likely scenario is that LA took San Pedro by force and used water as bait to lure in its prey.
I wonder just how developed the port was in 1909. I have a Thomas Guide from 1945 and the port has grown quite a bit even from then to now. I doubt San Pedro would have had the capital to develop it on it's own without LA's financial muscle. If LA hadn't gotten San Pedro, they could have wound up with Long Beach.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:15 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I wonder just how developed the port was in 1909. I have a Thomas Guide from 1945 and the port has grown quite a bit even from then to now. I doubt San Pedro would have had the capital to develop it on it's own without LA's financial muscle. If LA hadn't gotten San Pedro, they could have wound up with Long Beach.
Los Angeles' annexation of San Pedro (and the associated harbor area) is a classic urban planning case study and one of the key drivers that led to the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO). I am strongly inclined to say that if any attempt to annex San Pedro were to happen to today, it would not be approved. San Pedro could have incorporated and with the harbor within its jurisdiction could have been a wealthy city.

The development of Los Angeles and Southern California, in general, is fascinating.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:17 AM

I wonder why LA ended up with San Pedro rather than Long Beach. I guess because Long Beach was larger and more established than San Pedro. Sounds like San Pedro and Wilmington were smaller and easier to push around than Long Beach.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:18 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
I wonder why LA ended up with San Pedro rather than Long Beach. I guess because Long Beach was larger and more established than San Pedro. Sounds like San Pedro and Wilmington were smaller and easier to push around than Long Beach.
Long Beach was already an incorporated city.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:20 AM

City of LA did not want to annex El Toro but with a 99 year land lease they could certainly control it. It is wrong for LA to go around taking control of other cities or large parts thereof for its own financial gain. Especially if the property in question is as far away as central/south Orange County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I doubt the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) would have approved an annexation of the El Toro base by Los Angeles as first and foremost the base is not contiguous to the City of Los Angeles, i.e. not in Los Angeles' sphere of influence, and therefore could not efficiently provide any services to that location (which is one of the factors for determining the viability of annexation). Regarding the long-term land lease, that's well within the rights of any city to pursue so that's not really anything to be 'opposed' to and its certainly not illegal.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:22 AM

So all of the cities LA ever annexed were unincorporated? One incorporated city cannot annex another incorporated city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Long Beach was already an incorporated city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles