Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:13 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times

Advertisements

There used to be a nuisance stray dog, a huge male black Lab that would come round and get into my trash cans, as well as dump his massive loads in my yard. One day this summer I came in the back gate, and he didn't hear me he was so intent on shredding my trash. His back end was facing me, and two big fat targets were hanging down in their dangling sack. I made solid contact with my booted size 12 right foot, and he hasn't been back since.

That's one way to handle an unleashed, bothersome dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 10:00 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
There used to be a nuisance stray dog, a huge male black Lab that would come round and get into my trash cans, as well as dump his massive loads in my yard. One day this summer I came in the back gate, and he didn't hear me he was so intent on shredding my trash. His back end was facing me, and two big fat targets were hanging down in their dangling sack. I made solid contact with my booted size 12 right foot, and he hasn't been back since.

That's one way to handle an unleashed, bothersome dog.

That is one point in how one may handle the situation but, as written in the literature I give out to the owners of these unleashed dogs, dogs do not know they are not suppossed to be leashed.
Dogs don't know the legal consequences of being unleashed.
Dogs don't know it could cost their owner big bucks in legal action brought on by the dog being unleashed.
Dogs don't know in some instances they could be impounded and seperated , perhaps permenantly from their owner if found off leash.
All these things dog owners should be made aware of because some of them just don't know the consequences, while others really don't care.
That is the part that is shameful.
Kicking tha dog as you did proably gave you some sort of satisfaction, but truthfully, it was the worst thing you could have done to solve the situation.
What you should have done was to call animal services, and they could have removed the dog .
What you did was cruel and I would hope you will refrain from solving any future animal problems that way.
Do the right thing and call animal services.
That is why we have animal services , too solve problem dog issues.
Bob.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,981 times
just stay out of Denver, or any part of Colorado

Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 PM

339 posts, read 777,916 times
Bob, speaking as a retired peace officer, you could have had the individual that threatened you arrested for making a terrorist threat. That's a federal felony. It would have been the last time he walked his dog, leash or no leash.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHawk View Post
Bob, speaking as a retired peace officer, you could have had the individual that threatened you arrested for making a terrorist threat. That's a federal felony. It would have been the last time he walked his dog, leash or no leash.

That point had never entered my mind but, It will be paramount in my mind should I be confronted by him or someone similar in the future.
Thanks for that bit of advice.
Bob.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:23 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
What you should have done was to call animal services, and they could have removed the dog .
Typical response time for SB County Animal Services: 3 days. And that's when they hurry. I still have the unpleasant memory of the stray that was killed by an 18 wheeler in front of my house, and how the body sat out at the curb in the hot summer sun, wrapped in a plastic garbage bag as they instructed me to do. It sat there stinking and giving birth to blowflies from Thursday morning until Monday afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

What you did was cruel and I would hope you will refrain from solving any future animal problems that way.
What I did was elegantly simple and effective, and immediately solved my problem. That dog will never enter this property again, and if he does, he can expect more of the same. Or worse.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Typical response time for SB County Animal Services: 3 days. And that's when they hurry. I still have the unpleasant memory of the stray that was killed by an 18 wheeler in front of my house, and how the body sat out at the curb in the hot summer sun, wrapped in a plastic garbage bag as they instructed me to do. It sat there stinking and giving birth to blowflies from Thursday morning until Monday afternoon.

What I did was elegantly simple and effective, and immediately solved my problem. That dog will never enter this property again, and if he does, he can expect more of the same. Or worse.
And, you could be arrested and charged with animal cruelty if someone sees you.
You might want to think that one over.
Ever since the Vitt case, the courts take animal cruelty very serious, and are handing out stiff sentences, an huge fines, for abusung an animal.
Bob.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,863 times
Hello, I was just looking for a good leash law forum and came across this one. My story is an interesting one, I am an avid dog lover and actually worked at a kennel as a dog trainer for several years in the past. I am used to dogs jumping on me and even have a great deal of experience in handling aggressive dogs and preventing dogs fights. However, I was recently walking a trail in the brentwood area ("mountain gate") with my dog. My dog is an american pitbull terrier, and I rescued her from an extremely abusive dog fighting situation--so she is being rehabilitated socially and struggles with canine socialization(she may act aggressively out of fear, but she has been trained not to instigate). Anyways, I turned a corner on this trail and 10 dogs (several golden retrievers, huskies, labs, etc.) ran up to me off leash and began jumping on me. One of them attacked my dog, and my dog attacked right back; Soon, all of the dogs were attacking my dog, and when I tried to break it up, I was actually attacked myself. Fortunately I was able to break it up after about 10 minutes (and several thousand dollars of veterinary bills)--once I had control of all ten dogs and my own and held all of their leashes--an ignorant girl came casually walking up the trail wearing a commercial dog walking tshirt. She asked me what I was doing to "her" dogs--after explaining the situation she said my dog was aggressive, hers were all very social, and that she was going to the bathroom and didnt hear anything. I tried to explain she was being negligent and what she was doing was illegal, but she was too ignorant to understand and not to mention my dog needed emergency care; she simply gave me her bosses number (which ended up avoiding all of my calls) and then took off. Is there some sort of authority I can call to have that operation ticketed or shut down? If that situation happened to an old woman with a small dog, both could be dead or severely injured. That girl was very lucky.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:29 PM

33 posts, read 90,200 times
Many of the parks here in Lakewood have signs posting "no dogs" but that does not deter most people. There are a few parks where dogs are allowed but they are seldom on leash. I am afraid that this may be one of those unenforceable laws, like driving while talking on a cellphone. I have an Akita that I always walk on a leash. She doesn't like any other dogs in the least, and it can be a challenge when stupid owners allow their animals near her.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM

687 posts, read 1,119,728 times
I know there are "dog parks" in and around the L.A. and Ventura County area but I don't know if they are legal dog parks. Personally, I would never take my dogs to a dog park and take the risk of them being attacked by someone's "nice" doggy. My dogs are about 10 lbs and have each other to socialize with. The one time I did have one of my dogs off leash at the dog park in Sherman Oaks Park, he strolled over to where a woman was sitting on the lawn in the middle of all of the dogs and he proceeded to take a pee on her arm. I'm a quick learner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles