Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:40 AM

448 posts, read 1,607,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Not really working class.. More like middle to upper middle to upper class. Working class might be Lakewood and maybe Torrance, but that's the very successful working class types(firefighters, policemen, boeing mechanics, established longshoremen, etc). Real working class is somewhere like Wilmington, where there is no Trader Joes. The Long Beach Trader Joes is in the Marina(ie Yachts), borders Naples(one of the priciest areas in the city and in SE LAC) and Seal Beach(decidedly upper middle class). Manhattan Beach is very expensive. Thousand Oaks is expensive. Santa Clarita is a family exurb. Bakersfield is it's own metropolitan area(57th largest city in the US). etc

You aren't talking about Harbor City, Wilmington, or Hawaiian Gardens here. Those are where the real working class live, and the primary bigname food retailer in those areas tends to be Food4Less, not Trader Joes or Whole Foods

I'm not saying Trader Joes is engaging in any kind of discrimination or anything, but they are in areas that can afford and desire their product selection, which can be fairly eclectic and sometimes pricey.

Have to agree with BHCompy. Trader Joes tends to place themselves in the richer-type neighborhoods. Hence the reason we can't expect one in NoHo. Toluca Lake is as close as we're gonna get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,653,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Can't answer your question, but I can tell you that I purchased the worst rib eye steaks I've ever had at the Fresh & Easy in Manhattan Beach last month.
I'm with you. Fresh & Easy. Yuk!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 02:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,237,931 times
When F&E floated the idea of opening a store in Glassell Park, lots of people protested because the parent company (TESCO) is non-Union. We here in Mt Wash have lost alot of area 'mainstream' super markets and are forced to travel to other cities to shop. Not good. Thankfully, we have a tip-top Ralphs downtown. Free parking, as nice as any suburban market.

Needless to say, F&E opened anyway- I honestly don't know if their wages are below area standards, or what their benefit package is like. Regardless, the place seems awfully clinical to me, and the whole gig feels like Trader Joes only with an industrial motif. Their bargain-basement wine is undrinkable to me, and their frozen food is average at best.

I know downtown boosters have been trying to get a TJs there for decades- no luck. I think it would do booming business because of FIDM, the loftdwellers, office workers doing shopping after work, etc. Problem is TJs doesn't take even the slightest risk when opening a new store. And what's with the narrow aisles and limited parking? The only TJs I ever visited with ample parking and room inside was in Long Beach.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,621,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
So I've been told.
I don't know about that.

Van Nuys was definitely a working class neighborhood BEFORE it became a ghetto.

This topic plays into the disappearance of working class neighborhoods in Los Angeles, either they get gentrified or become ghettos.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,774,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
When F&E floated the idea of opening a store in Glassell Park, lots of people protested because the parent company (TESCO) is non-Union. We here in Mt Wash have lost alot of area 'mainstream' super markets and are forced to travel to other cities to shop. Not good. Thankfully, we have a tip-top Ralphs downtown. Free parking, as nice as any suburban market.

Needless to say, F&E opened anyway- I honestly don't know if their wages are below area standards, or what their benefit package is like. Regardless, the place seems awfully clinical to me, and the whole gig feels like Trader Joes only with an industrial motif. Their bargain-basement wine is undrinkable to me, and their frozen food is average at best.

I know downtown boosters have been trying to get a TJs there for decades- no luck. I think it would do booming business because of FIDM, the loftdwellers, office workers doing shopping after work, etc. Problem is TJs doesn't take even the slightest risk when opening a new store. And what's with the narrow aisles and limited parking? The only TJs I ever visited with ample parking and room inside was in Long Beach.
Fresh and Easy isn't quite Trader Joes, though they do carry some of the same type of food(like a decent amount of foreign themed food items you won't find at grocery stores). Their primary target seems to be people that keep a low stock of food in home and buy meals ready made or easy made for the next day or two. I'm a fan of their precooked stuff personally, particularly the chicken tikka masala. Drop 3 or 4 bucks, have a full dinner and leftovers for tomorrow. Works for me after a long days work

Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,276,725 times
Love Fresh and Easy
Cheap Cereal than the supermarkets
Pre-made foods are awesome especially when they go on sale (and you get the extra 10% discount when buying 3 or more)
Ice cream is cheap.
The stouffers lunch, lean quisines are cheaper than supermarekts
bread is definitely cheaper.

there is one close to where I work and I stock up on Mondays for food for the rest of the week. Definitely saving money.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:12 PM

396 posts, read 906,660 times
Fresh and Easy has some awesome Ground Sirloin meat. You just gotta make sure you buy the freshest ones out. The steaks always look nasty though.

And Santa Clarita working class??? LOL!

Old 08-01-2010, 11:29 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,203,913 times
The Sylmar F&E opens September 8.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:24 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,289,982 times
The only thing I remember about F&E is that they had parking spots for hybrids only.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:57 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,203,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi View Post

And Santa Clarita working class??? LOL!
I hear ya. Santa Clarita actually has a higher per capita income than Burbank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles