Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:21 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymum View Post
I've been to LA beaches in the summer (August) and found ample parking in the mid-afternoon. Not all beaches are overflowing their lots. At the worst case one can escape up to the less populous beaches in Malibu.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I've never been there, but are Florida's beaches any less crowded? It seems to me that almost everyone living here in the NY metro area either vacations there in the summer or has plans to retire there (and quite a few already have parents living there).
HA! Malibu beaches are what I am talking about-- I have lived here for three years and know for a fact that they are extremely crowded all summer long. If they are considered "less populous" I shudder to think of what the other L.A. beaches are like!!!

As for Florida beaches - I have lived in both Tampa and Miami and never had any problems finding parking or getting to the beach. There was always plenty of parking (with the exception of Hollywood Beach near Ft. Lauderdale in the winter) and we could easily have a picnic and just relax. Everything seems to have a hectic pace and vibe to it here in L.A. - even the beach where people should just be able to go and relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 03:48 PM

19 posts, read 97,379 times
Default Leaving Las Vegas

I too miss LA and will be moving back in a couple of months. I grew up in the valley which most bitter people thrash. There is something about the rawness of the county, the city and even the burbs that makes everything real. I have been living in Las Vegas for five years. I don't regret moving here but living here has made me appreciate even the challenges of living in Los Angeles.

I fondly reminisce about the 405, the Budweiser plant, the Polish deli, little rolling quakes at 3am, PCH, the beaches, the weather and the PEOPLE.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:15 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waverlyroot View Post
I've never lived in the Bay area, only visited, but my impression of Northern California from people who've lived there is that the mindset is a lot more provincial than I'd have thought ... SF is not as globalized as LA is. More PC and aggressive about it.

I have my problems with LA, but I'd much rather be here.
Having lived in both Calif metro areas--------I definitely prefer SoCal as well.

It is wierd: the demarcation line for me on the SF Peninsula would be where Belmont ends and San Carlos begins..........I suspect it has something to do with the climate as well-------warmer and drier approaching San Jose.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:22 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
I lived in the LA area for a year between 2004 and 2005. Moved back to Hawaii and now live in SF. I am thinking about moving back to the LA area, namely the western portion of San Gabriel Valley. SF is just not my cup of tea. The architecture is monotonous and boring. I can't stand seeing rows of Edwardian and Victorian houses. I like the variety in the LA area. Oh yeah, I love the preponderance of mid-century modern ranch houses in the LA area. The Bay area's mid-century modern homes are fugly.
I know exactly of what you speak of there. Especially the 1950's-60's SFV

Maybe it was due to my 'growing up' in the nasty Wash DC area in the 1960's and watching those neat TV shows from/about SoCal. I left DC 30 years never to return

Old 05-09-2008, 09:49 PM

31 posts, read 105,643 times
Reading this messages make me so blue. I can help to think of LA , due to lack of jobs I move for a while to wyoming. Out here nothing to compare, think of beautiful weather of LA , and over here es snowing , raining , the temperature never get to pass 57 degree. I miss my home town LA PUENTE.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:35 AM

190 posts, read 443,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
HA! Malibu beaches are what I am talking about-- I have lived here for three years and know for a fact that they are extremely crowded all summer long. If they are considered "less populous" I shudder to think of what the other L.A. beaches are like!!!

As for Florida beaches - I have lived in both Tampa and Miami and never had any problems finding parking or getting to the beach. There was always plenty of parking (with the exception of Hollywood Beach near Ft. Lauderdale in the winter) and we could easily have a picnic and just relax. Everything seems to have a hectic pace and vibe to it here in L.A. - even the beach where people should just be able to go and relax.
Well I found parking at Zuma but this could have been either because it was late in the day on a weekday or because this beach is pretty far removed from Santa Monica, Venice, etc. There are other beaches though, some without dedicated parking, and some which may require a short hike to get to. But these are hidden gems and never as crowded as the aforementioned.

I'm sure Florida's beaches are nice, but I'd miss the majestic mountain scenery crashing into the surf that socal has in spades.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:20 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,873,701 times
I understand how it feels to be homesick,but hopefully you'll be able to move back to California,especially since the prices for homes are dropping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARUFA View Post
Reading this messages make me so blue. I can help to think of LA , due to lack of jobs I move for a while to wyoming. Out here nothing to compare, think of beautiful weather of LA , and over here es snowing , raining , the temperature never get to pass 57 degree. I miss my home town LA PUENTE.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:04 PM

303 posts, read 846,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARUFA View Post

I know very well how you feel. I'm stuck in Texas due to lack of jobs and after months searching with no results, I am considering temporary employment so I can come back home and escape the rain, thunder, and the humidity that never drops below 80%.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:03 PM

81 posts, read 339,390 times
I've had many friends who have moved out of Los Angeles in the last few years and every single one said it was the best thing they ever did. To want to move back here, you are a glutton for punishment.

You say California has an abundance of jobs? Where are they? Or should I say, where are the ones that pay a livable wage?

Old 05-10-2008, 02:13 PM

31 posts, read 105,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
I know very well how you feel. I'm stuck in Texas due to lack of jobs and after months searching with no results, I am considering temporary employment so I can come back home and escape the rain, thunder, and the humidity that never drops below 80%.
Isn't sad ?. Like I said out here the warmes night is 28-30 degree, snow in some parts the whole yr round. People out here think of CA so bad , they don't CA and is even worst if you are fom LA . I'll talk to you later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles