Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I wonder if there's statistical evidence that proves somebody is better off if they commute 35 (or more) miles to work (when given the choice).
Just to be fair, couldn't a similar question be asked whether there is statistical evidence that proves somebody is better off by living closer poor performing schools and higher crime rates?

This graphic below really illustrates why a 35 mile commute might be worth it:

Palmdale/Lanacaster Schools compared to Santa Clarita Schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 08:52 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just to be fair, couldn't a similar question be asked whether there is statistical evidence that proves somebody is better off by living closer poor performing schools and higher crime rates?

This graphic below really illustrates why a 35 mile commute might be worth it:

Palmdale/Lanacaster Schools compared to Santa Clarita Schools
That is a fair question.

Re: poor performing schools. While Lancaster and Palmdale have more than their fair share of dark colors on that map, there are some 5, 6, and 7's on the west side of CA-14. Is it worth the 35 miles to get an 8 or a 9 in Santa Clarita? Are the 1 or 2 extra notches in the score worth it? And is there that much of a difference between a 7 and a 9?

Side notes/disclaimers: That map is using outdated scores (2007, the most recent), things could have gotten better or worse since then. The API only uses standardized test scores to determine a schools rank, right?

Way back in 1992, I scored 99/98 (out of 100) on a standardized test at what is now a "2" school (per the map). Things could have been better back then (though the demo in the neighborhood hasn't changed much), but it is possible for a child to do well in a poorly performing school. But that's a debate for another thread.

Re: crime. Lancaster and Palmdale are hanging right around "average" in the crime department, per C-D's crime index. Santa Clarita has about half the crime Lancaster and Palmdale do. This is a question of average vs. above average, and if the commute is worth it -- putting one at risk on the road everyday might make the crime a wash.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
That is a fair question.

Re: poor performing schools. While Lancaster and Palmdale have more than their fair share of dark colors on that map, there are some 5, 6, and 7's on the west side of CA-14. Is it worth the 35 miles to get an 8 or a 9 in Santa Clarita? Are the 1 or 2 extra notches in the score worth it? And is there that much of a difference between a 7 and a 9?
Other advantages of Santa Clarita:

Closer to "Plan" B jobs in the LA metro and Santa Clarita itself. Would reduce the risk of having to move if he loses the Palmdale job.
More stable? (Maybe, I don't know, but it seems more stable - may help for resale.)

Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Other advantages of Santa Clarita:

Closer to "Plan" B jobs in the LA metro and Santa Clarita itself. Would reduce the risk of having to move if he loses the Palmdale job.
More stable? (Maybe, I don't know, but it seems more stable - may help for resale.)
Yes, I completely agree with the "Plan B" being an advantage. There isn't much sense in living in the AV (or anywhere) unless you want to and/or you work there.

SC does appear to be more stable, at least housing wise. The AV is the land of boom and bust (right now, it's bust).

Old 02-15-2010, 07:47 PM

18 posts, read 69,999 times
I live in Lancaster, but am moving to San Diego in less than a week. I am so excited to get out of that area!! My cousin works at Edwards and it takes him about 30-45 minutes to get to work everyday and he lives in Lancaster so I would not recommend living in Santa Clarita although it is a much nicer area. If you can stay in the Quartz Hill area or west Lancaster (in the area of the Westside Union School District) you should be alright. The Antelope Valley is NOT the best place to live, which is the mistake we made when we moved out here for our cousin's job at Edwards.
I would really recommend finding a different region to live in just because we have lived here for nine years and we are SOO ready to get out! I used to like the area alright until about '05 when growth of the "ghetto" people began. Now seeing San Diego and how nice that is, I like the area even less! Edwards is an AMAZING place to work at with all the aerospace and NASA, but the living in the area is the complete opposite. Hope this helps!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 PM

82 posts, read 358,694 times
If your going to be in the Lancaster/Palmdale area I would ONLY recommend living on the West sides and really looking at the neighborhoods, Rancho Vista in Palmdale and Westside of Lancaster. Quartz Hill has its down spots too so just make sure to visit, but the best rated schools fall in Quartz Hill and the west side of town.

Santa Clarita and Acton are nice, and if you want to go the other direction there is Tehachapi, I have heard some garbage is inflitrating that area too but I know a lot of people who live in Tehachapi and love it there and left this area.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyVicky View Post
I have heard some garbage is inflitrating that area too
That's a nice way to talk about people....

Old 02-17-2010, 07:18 PM

20 posts, read 56,973 times
I have friend up in the Palmdale, Lancaster area. They try to stay on the west side. Quartz Hill, Lake Elizabeth. Look down Rancho Vista across from the mall. It is still all very diverse and they are gangs up there. I have never had any problems, but you do have to know where to go. I didn't want my son going to school up there. So, when 1/2 the Valley moved up there in the 80% to get a larger home for less I moved to Santa Clarita. It was nice up there in the 80's, got bad after the riots and the jail in the Mojave desert releases its prisioners into that city. Again, stay on the west side. Do not buy until you are for sure you can live there...Rent a house. I go there and it is a drive up the 14 fwy, but like previous post... it is a quick drive due to driving against traffic. You get use to it. My friends husband has been doing it for years for work. Santa Clarita consist of different cities with in the city...so look for Valencia, Saugus, Stevenson Ranch and Canyon Country..all good school systems. I like Valencis and Saugus of course i live here. I feel safe and my son who is 17 can go to the mall or movies with his friends and I feel ok. He has been doing it since he was 14. Great Paseo's in Valencia and most housing developments have a community pool. Very family oriented.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 PM

60 posts, read 305,942 times
How close to Edwards AFB are we talking about?? If you are right there, in the Rosamond area, then IMO a commute from that distance to Santa Clarita is undoable (for me, anyway). If you are working in Palmdale, then yes, SC would be fine but....from what I glean from your post, you specifically stated Edwards.

Nitpicking aside, Acton is a nice place. Expensive I guess but very small towny. I would probably make that commute from Edwards to Acton without too much complaining.

Alternatively, you might like west Lancaster close to the college. Since the sheriff opened up a sub station of sorts on campus, many of the undesirables and unemployable loiterers that used to be seen wandering around the streets have disappeared.

Nothing, however, will change my opinion of the way the powers that be operate in these high desert cities. The crime has been allowed to escalate here beyond all reason and, thanks to deals cut with Los Angeles County, the high desert has become a dumping ground for human detritus of all kinds.

Whatever you do, however, stay the heck away from Lake Los Angeles.....

Old 02-18-2010, 02:39 PM

60 posts, read 305,942 times
@David Aguilar

'Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyVicky View Post
I have heard some garbage is inflitrating that area too'
That's a nice way to talk about people....

Oh puhhleez. Until you've lived here as long as we have, you have no idea. These unemployable types will do anything for money. ANYTHING. That includes prostitution, drug dealing, mugging, burglary, homicide......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles