Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times

Advertisements

Palomino = long gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 02:14 PM

736 posts, read 2,296,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It had to be 68, 69 or 70, because Parsons wasn't a Burrito all that long.

That must have been a classic gig.

I saw Dr. John there in 1991....the place closed around 1995.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:42 AM

70 posts, read 191,008 times
Those flyers are awesome!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:49 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,786,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
How about the good ol' Topanga Corral
Yep, we used to go there too. I think it burned down.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

Didn't know the Country Club was a movie theater. I can't remember where the projection booth would have been placed. So is the Country Club still around?
Whoops, by bad. The Country Club was the Sav-On a couple doors down from the Reseda Theater.

Here's a shot of the theater looking east from Sherman Way and Reseda, 1963

And here on Google Street View, you can see the same facade of each:

Sav-On to Country Club, and now called Iglesias De Restauracion????

reseda - Google Maps

Reseda Theater, sadly boarded up and ugly:

reseda - Google Maps

Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

Pretty sure the structure is gone:

Raji's [on Sunset – what a cool venue, despite the giant column which managed to block every possible sightline to the stage—how punk is that? Now a parking lot?
On Hollywood Blvd. condemned and torn down after the Northridge earthquake.

Club Lingerie [classic venue on Sunset]

The building's still there, not sure what it's used for.

The Shamrock [A nice, divey bar somewhere in L.A.—it was on a corner]

On Hollywood Blvd. east of Vermont. Now a strip club.

Al's Bar [on Traction or Hewitt, just east of Little Tokyo. Really painful to see this one go. What's become of the space? Victim of gentrification?]

It went away before the gentrification started.

Jabberjaw [3711 W Pico Blvd; what's become of this icon? Great arcade with Tempest and one of the few all-ages venues. Progenitor to The Smell]

Casualty of the riots?

The Gaslight [cool bar somewhere in Hollywood]

Now used as storage space for the Ivar Theatre next door, which has been converted into a dance club.

Music Machine [12220 Pico Blvd, West L.A.]
[
Converted to retail

Cathay De Grande

Selma & Ivar. Sitting vacant waiting for a new tenant to move in. More vacant commercial property in L.A.

Starwood

Burned down and replaced with an ugly mini-mall. The movie theatre next door is also gone

The Masque

Torn down

Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 PM

While researching the Starwood (I didn't know it burned down), I came upon another Wikipedia page with the histories of many of the clubs mentioned in this thread.

Category:Nightclubs in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interestingly, the Wikipedia article mentioned that Starwood was closed to do too much underage drinking. We used to drink in the parking lot across the street (I was probably 19 or 20) and the cops (LASD) and make us pour our beers out. Drive back to the valley around 2AM (and I remember even then traffic on the 405 in the middle of the night) and hit Dennys. Good old days.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:09 PM

736 posts, read 2,296,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Whoops, by bad. The Country Club was the Sav-On a couple doors down from the Reseda Theater.

reseda - Google Maps
Another great spot in the same block of Sherman Way was Be Bop Records which was a hip record store/gallery space that played host to live mostly "unplugged" shows (before that term was used). Sort of like the Valley's version of McCabes.... Be Bop was there from 1982 to 1990. Really cool place.

The acts they hosted included: Los Lobos, the Minutemen, Jane's Addiction, Firehose, to name a few.

The owner is an artist in Calfornia and has this link on MySpace about his days running Be Bop....

http://www.myspace.com/bebopreseda

Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Another great spot in the same block of Sherman Way was Be Bop Records which was a hip record store/gallery space that played host to live mostly "unplugged" shows (before that term was used). Sort of like the Valley's version of McCabes.... Be Bop was there from 1982 to 1990. Really cool place.

The acts they hosted included: Los Lobos, the Minutemen, Jane's Addiction, Firehose, to name a few.

The owner is an artist in Calfornia and has this link on MySpace about his days running Be Bop....

MySpace - Richard / Bebop Records - 63 - Male - Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA - myspace.com/bebopreseda
Couple records stores I frequented in that time frame, early 1980s was Slipped Disk and Moby Disk. One was on Ventura near VNB I think and the other on Roscoe east of Sepulveda I think.

While punk and new wave were really big then, there were some Los Angeles based progressive bands, The Fents for example, sort of on a second wave of fusion/prog after the early 1970s first wave, that we'd go check out in different venues around town. One of the guys in one of those records stores was a real prog rock expert and pointed us to all sorts of good bands and records.

Another place I don't think is around anymore is Pasquales in Malibu. We'd watch jazz there, you could hear the waves crashing in the background, real nice.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:52 AM

1,631 posts, read 4,226,806 times
Man, last time I went to the Reseda Country Club was maybe 1997. I saw Hoobustank (it used to be spelled like that) and Black Eyed Pea's (pre Fergie) there and some other rap acts which was odd. I also saw the Incubus guys hanging out there watching Hoobustank. I understand they used to have boxing matches there? I don't know, I never went back.

I also remember seeing 2 chicks in a row OD at Club Lingerie. Once again, probably 10+ years ago.

Is the Cobalt Cafe in Canoga Park still around? I remember that was sort of the mandatory (unofficially) to play before moving on to other gigs. I saw many bands there and even played there myself.

The Key Club used to be called Billboard Live.

Most every venue I went to is probably still there. I only started going to shows in 96.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles