Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:22 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'd like to know how these cities are "gone." The real stumper is when he said New Orleans and Lafayette are "gone."
Yes, I don't quite understand that either. FS250 where do you live now?

Old 08-12-2012, 03:44 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Folks, let's don't drift too far off topic - this thread has to do with Monroe specifically. If FS250 wants to start a thread on cities that must have disappeared in Louisiana, that's fine...but let's try to confine the conversation in this thread to the city it was initially about. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:06 PM

187 posts, read 626,549 times
Wrong. Monroe is ****. Gone. Might as well change the name to RICHWOOD.

Here's an expert on the US economy. I'm right on both points.

This Is Just the Beginning (Economist Peter Schiff Predicts Disaster)

http://ivn.us/2012/04/03/peter-schif...e-around-2013/

Old 08-12-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Yes, I don't quite understand that either. FS250 where do you live now?
In probably THE only municipality in the state that doesn't have 2x the national avg nightly crime (murder, home invasions, drugs) rate. Damn sure not in monroe. W/in the next decade the pop. will have dropped 20+%...bank on it.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:15 PM

Don't get me wrong though. 1970's - 80's monroe was a wonderful place to live. I've never seen a city nosedive straight down soo fast in my life. NLU/ULM will be next declare bankruptcy. Watch & see. Prospective professors are avoiding that place like plague or quitting & leaving like a long time excellent accounting professor I know.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 PM

When I say "gone" I mean past the point of no return. There is no amount of $$ or any other constructive measure which will make these areas pleasant to live in again. mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-12-2012 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: waaaayyyy off topic

Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 AM

20 posts, read 60,299 times
My son lives in Plano and loves it. If at all possible, don't move!!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:22 AM

33 posts, read 60,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS250 View Post
Don't get me wrong though. 1970's - 80's monroe was a wonderful place to live. I've never seen a city nosedive straight down soo fast in my life. NLU/ULM will be next declare bankruptcy. Watch & see. Prospective professors are avoiding that place like plague or quitting & leaving like a long time excellent accounting professor I know.

Well hell yeah it's gone downhill. Heck look who's Mayor and I don't see that changing any time soon.
Look down Louisville avenue; I see a bunch of run down buildings that should have been taken down years ago. And it seems that I'm constantly hearing and reading efforts to bring back downtown Monroe. Why? I've been to Coda (or Cotton whatever its called now) and it was great eatery. There are some things downtown that are great like SFMC, Vantage, The Kitchen (looks hideous but tastes great), etc.

Now look on the other side of the river to West Monroe. Antique Alley has always been nice and the area seems to be doing and doesn't look like **** the way most of downtown Monroe does.

Why they built Target, Best Buy and other new stuff in Monroe is beyond me. They should have put those in
West Monroe.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:03 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Monroe is not alone. Many cities in America have changed in the last 20, 30, 40 years-some not for the better and others for the better. I don't think Monroe/West Monroe is so bad, really. Sure it's different, but over a period of time things do change.

I live in Bossier City and things have changed in the last 20 years, not necessarily for the better either. Oh we have had growth for sure. But the traffic is terrible all the time and they just keep building. Well, it's a positive experience anyhow. But it was a little quieter in the 90's. The only thing that hasn't changed is we still have that 2 lane Jimmie Davis bridge which carries well beyond it's intended capacity. Politicians don't change; they have lied about expanding it for years now. I see no indication it will ever happen. So there, some things never change!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM

33 posts, read 60,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS250 View Post
I am very saddened to learn of the decline of Monroe. I lived there from 1976 to 1999 and it was an awesome place to live. I remember shopping (especially xmas) at Twin City Mall. It was sooo crowded you could barely walk 2 steps. I saw The Empire Stikes Back at the Plitt Theater. I saw alot of other movies at the famous EastGate Cinema, Orange Julius, the record store playing "controversial" Like A Virgin, the grill a the 5& dime store. the iron on T shirt stand, Fiesta Nutrition, Selber Bros.

I still can't beleive Johnny's Pizza closed across from NLU. That place was an institution. I remember going out to Private Eyes, Freddy's, Club 1900, Sal's Saloon, the Library Lounge. I was there when Pecanland opened and they let people write on the walls. I saw Christmas Vacation at the movie theater.

The concerts at the Civic Center (and the Ark-La-Miss Fair) were incredible. I remember when Elvis plsyed there. I-20 was backed up for miles.

Life in the 80's in Monroe was sooo much fun. I can't beleive the town has fallen apart.
Like you I have fond memories of the area. I remember seeing Star Wars at the Plit (ABC Plaza) when it came out in '77. I saw BattleStar GAlactica at Eastgate in sensuround. It was so loud that it was possible to hear the high level frequency effects rumble in the parking lot.

Twin City Mall had some nice stores including Musicland as you mentioned (my brother worked there when it was called Reco Record Rendeouz) and I bought a lot of blank tape, LP's and CD's there. My parents often bought prerecorded open reel tapes there too.

Then there was the Book End in the malls entrance area. Murphys mart/ morgan and lindsey had a soda fountain there; my dad and I would eat there often. I also remember Wards in the mall had a small restaraunt (sp?) and going there several times. Then there was Kmart close by that also had a grocery store in it and Shakys pizza on the end.

I want a time machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana