Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 PM

154 posts, read 346,446 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking to move to Louisiana at the end of this year, and Lafayette is at the top of my list of places to settle for a year.

I'm choosing Louisiana (and Lafayette) to listen to good music, soak in the different layers of culture and history, and enjoy what the geography has to offer in the ways of flora and fauna.

Will be looking for a small place to rent for one year. One bedroom, one bath - even a studio would be fine. Budget less than $500 per month. Renting someone's mother-in-law flat or a converted garage or something along those lines - perfect. (That is also along a bayou with an overhanging deck and a screened porch and a live oak adjacent ... but OK, back to reality ... )

Mostly I'll be working online, so I need a fast and reliable internet connection.

Can anyone help me get an idea for the character of different neighborhoods in Lafayette? Characteristics might address: age of neighborhood, city center/near city center/suburban, walkability, architecture, mixed zoning (i.e. mixed single-family, multi-family, commercial), age demographic, proximity to parks, trails, perception of safety, general vibe, etc.

No kids with me, so school districts not relevant to me.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Perfect city for you and the city has great internet.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:34 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
The city doesn't have a lot of urban communities, it's a lot of suburban sprawl. Many subdivisions, dead end streets, etc. I felt like I was in a real city when I lived in the downtown/university area. Outside of that, it's got a more suburban or rural feel. You can really chose what you want, unlike New Orleans where you'd be forced to be in the city.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
The city doesn't have a lot of urban communities, it's a lot of suburban sprawl. Many subdivisions, dead end streets, etc. I felt like I was in a real city when I lived in the downtown/university area. Outside of that, it's got a more suburban or rural feel. You can really chose what you want, unlike New Orleans where you'd be forced to be in the city.
Its definitely more sprawled but still has a lot of gridlike traditional neighborhoods.
Not really identifiable specific neighborhood area except for broadmoor. Thats the closest to a real family neighborhood.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM

Thanks, all.

I'll just wait til I get there to poke around, I guess.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,035,334 times
You'll know what's right for you. I had a little of everything from moving around, it's just a great place to be overall.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:41 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Probably plenty of condos and apartments, duplexes, and some houses in that price range. I rent, and I always look in the newspaper, rags, and craigslist just to be informed in case I find something rentable that's better than where I am!! lol

Check out quikquarter.com. it's a rag paper with lots of rents.

And, btw, Lafayette is the bomb.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 PM

105 posts, read 234,710 times
You'll want to stay on the south side.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:46 PM

Thanks to both of you today and yesterday.

pug - I'll check out the quickquarter.

TT - what's attractive about the south side? Also, is this anything south of I-90 or is there a different boundary in use?

Old 08-04-2013, 08:49 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzuie View Post
Thanks to both of you today and yesterday.

pug - I'll check out the quickquarter.

TT - what's attractive about the south side? Also, is this anything south of I-90 or is there a different boundary in use?
Southside is where most of the new development is found. The shopping, dining,and amenities are all excellent on the southside.
southside is basically anything south of university/evangeline thruway.
This is where the bulk of stuff to do in Lafayette can be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana