Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:16 PM

20 posts, read 61,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
You made a valid point. We may not be rich or overly educated but we are happy and have good food, good fishin', good huntin', and good partyin'. LOL
This is true, you know as well as I do, in other states after the age of 26, people never dance, sing, or even congregate in public with their friends. Unfortunately it's that north/south division in our society. You either have good music, good food, and warm weather, or you have great educational systems, with unfriendly uptight people and cold weather.

True, we do play too much, but I won't criticize anyone for playing too much, unless I am out there being constructive and leading by example. Right now I am in Massachusetts, so I guess I bailed. Practically I had to bail. Louisiana is a great state to live if you want to take it easy, but it can't compete in terms of the industry contacts students will be exposed to in New England, California, etc.

As far as the friendly thing, I thought Louisiana was friendly, but then I went to Columbia and Aiken, SC. Those places are WAY friendlier than Louisiana. My goodness, the young people over there are cool and down to earth. In Louisiana, sometimes it feels like you either have people who want to be friendly or a totally laconic hilly billy or coon ass with 18 LSU flags in his store chewing Skoal.

After traveling across the country, the thing I would say Louisiana excels in is partying, music, and food.

"I was born way down in Louisiana, I love the way it sounds, 'cause that's a my home, way down in Louisiana, I gotta go back, and settle on down"-Percy Mayfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 06:43 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,544 times
New Orleans, Louisiana is a great place to be from but not necessarily a great place to remain in. I bailed almost 23 years ago for NY state. Would do it again.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:13 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muer View Post
This is true, you know as well as I do, in other states after the age of 26, people never dance, sing, or even congregate in public with their friends. Unfortunately it's that north/south division in our society. You either have good music, good food, and warm weather, or you have great educational systems, with unfriendly uptight people and cold weather.

True, we do play too much, but I won't criticize anyone for playing too much, unless I am out there being constructive and leading by example. Right now I am in Massachusetts, so I guess I bailed. Practically I had to bail. Louisiana is a great state to live if you want to take it easy, but it can't compete in terms of the industry contacts students will be exposed to in New England, California, etc.

As far as the friendly thing, I thought Louisiana was friendly, but then I went to Columbia and Aiken, SC. Those places are WAY friendlier than Louisiana. My goodness, the young people over there are cool and down to earth. In Louisiana, sometimes it feels like you either have people who want to be friendly or a totally laconic hilly billy or coon ass with 18 LSU flags in his store chewing Skoal.

After traveling across the country, the thing I would say Louisiana excels in is partying, music, and food.

"I was born way down in Louisiana, I love the way it sounds, 'cause that's a my home, way down in Louisiana, I gotta go back, and settle on down"-Percy Mayfield
These are all good attributes to be sure. Louisiana does fall down in the intense industrial, creative, business areas. I believe that my fellow Louisianians could rise to the occasion if they would, but they never seem to be interested in much other than the aforementioned activities from my last post. That is why many of us leave the state as although we dearly love it, it lacks the serious vitality of states such as Mass, Ill, Ca., etc. That, my Louisiana friends, is another kind of spirit we don't possess to any great degree.

A man can leave the shackles of poverty by educating himself to do something which will earn him a decent living. You can take it to the top, but you must be willing! It's a sacrifice and too many can't take the rigors.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,843 times
I used to live in Florida, and talk about uptight people. I left all of my extended family to move to a place(Baton Rouge) where myhusband and I liked much better. We had enough of the yuppy attitude and unfriendly behavior from the south(really though Florida is all northerners looking for paradise). Anyway, I do think that Louisiana has the friendliest people I have ever met and a great attitude. I would not want to live in any other state, at least not that I have already visited! I really like BR and think it is awesome here.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:58 PM

20 posts, read 61,340 times
One thing that has been on my list is to learn French, I have a good working knowledge of two other languages - Romantic languages too - but French would just set it off. French just keeps sinking lower of my priority list in favor of other languages. I occasionally get asked if I speak French when I tell people I'm from Louisiana.

Speaking of self-esteem, I think the most effective change I can take is personal change.
I think it would be cool if more people did know French. When you go to Austin, TX some of the gringo college students speak Spanish with the shop owners.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:16 PM

420 posts, read 479,185 times
Woooooooooowwwww!!!! Look at all these comments. Let me ask you some questions. How many thousands and thousands of great, intelligent, difference making Louisiana natives (like some of you guys and gals here) leave this state to contribute to another states greatness? I mean think about it now, how many successful and well-off states have leaders in there community that bring people together for a great cause for almost no reason at all? How many times has that happened in Louisiana? You know what not to many times in my young life. The funny thing is I find that many people from Louisiana are doing this exact thing in other states, knowing that their native state needs it more that anything. You brag about how delicious the food is, friendly the people are, and how great the partys are, but who here is willing to say this is my state, I want to see it better, so Ill stay here and contribute. You can go to the top cities in America and look back in history, who made a particular region what it was, the people of the region. No disrespect but, Im not a Mexican hopping over a fence, I am an American who happens to live in Louisiana. We have all the tools here to change it, but you people all flee to go live a life "better" life that only exist in you mind. Those places are not necessarily better, your minds just have been train in part of a retarded trend called "Louisiana aint spit, and we should hate it because the ranks and East coast people say so". I cant help but to think what a difference all those thousands of people who left could of made just by living here, spending money, having insight, use the educations to give back education, and most of all......the practice of sharing the will to be better.

I did not answer whether or not I felt Louisiana has low-self esteem and I still wont. Why because who actually admits they have low self-esteem. Im so Louisiana to the fullest and Im happy, and if you dont like us then kiss my bayou!!! I'll dedicate myself to the place that made me. Maybe its too late for most of you, but hopefully through my hopes and motives, I can at least spark the mind that can make a different in the place I call home.............Thank you, the legend

Old 04-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,489,843 times
Most people I know havefamilies that have lived here for generations and have no intention of leaving this great palce we call Louisiana. I think that lots of people stay here. I know some that think it is boring, but I love it.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:00 AM

5 posts, read 23,843 times
In response to the "coming to live in LA soon".
I don't mean to be rude, but my friends, family and colleagues are pretty much self confident, are not economically depressed, and have good jobs. If part of your perception comes from all the national TV coverage during and after Katrina, then you're basing your perceptions on one of the worst national disasters in history of this country. Granted we are not always the most progressive area, but we're not at rock bottom. And there are many of us who have made changes in that mold, and its ongoing. There are several organizations that are working hard and fast to beef up our Art Scene in BR, and its working.
Louisiana has a rich history, great food, music and is by and large a friendly state... and it is culturally diverse.
As far as no friends will want to visit you? I have friends in Germany who come to visit me! Yes, they want to see me, but they also want to come to experience the food, music and New Orleans and the Louisiana culture in general. The only thing they can do without is the humidity and heat in August!
If you come looking for negativity, I have no doubt you will find it. If you look for the positive when you're here, you're going to get it.
So...if you're coming here to live, 'hold your head up' and enjoy the best we have to offer...and ...bring some of your own diversity to add to the pot!

Old 04-06-2008, 12:08 AM

21 posts, read 84,877 times
Do you think someone with an Associates Degree in CAD/D (computer aided design and drafting) will be able to find a job in Shreveport or Alexandria?
We've found plenty of openings now, and it looks like at least a few each month open up, but we're just looking for opinions from some people that may know first hand. We plan on moving in January '09 and will be needing a home to rent and a job associated with that degree.

Again, just a question (since self esteem is so low, maybe this will boost it?)

Old 10-12-2008, 01:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I came to Louisiana from up north, in the 50's, when I went to college. One of the first things I noticed was that Louisiana people were in awe of Texans. Anybody from Texas was thought of as some sort of a god. Students, professors, anyone from Texas was worshipped and adulated. I think a lot of students actually rooted for Texas A&M to beat LSU, or at least resigned themselves to the certainty of it.

This may have come about because so many Texans has colonized Louisiana, had taken over positions of import in business and industry, brought in other Texans for positions of responsibility, and in general looked down on Louisiana as a subservient source of low-level manpower. This was particularly acute in the petroleum sector.

Later, I worked in Lafayette (in a non-petro sector) and all the upper management and department heads were from Texas, and there was no vertical mobility across that line. The social distinction was unbelievably viscous. It was so bad, I stayed only a month or two. And the Louisianians had no contempt at all for the situation---all they did was brown-nose the Texas cadre, maybe hoping to be transferred "up" to a Texas branch or something. In New Orleans, the Texans are treated with the contempt they deserve, but in the rest of Louisiana, it is just sickening the way Louisianians worship at the feet of Texans.

And those pretty girls in Dallas? They're all from North Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana