Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,851 times

Advertisements

I’m deciding too move (18) , I’m looking in the Lafayette area (possibly their community college) & would really like some suggestions (especially jobs ) , some advice (I’m going blindly to leave the nest of where I’m from which is Kentucky) but I gotta good feeling it’s a going to be the best thing ever . So enlighten me here . (I’ve saved by far a lot )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 07:57 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
You're moving from a poor area to a poor area to attend community college? What brings you to laffy?

Old 04-28-2020, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,851 times
What makes it so poor ???

Old 04-28-2020, 12:26 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Political corruption has alot to do with why jobs pay very little and aren't plentiful. What makes you choose this area?

Old 04-28-2020, 12:30 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Go there first. Check out the school, housing, jobs, the people, before you relocate.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:04 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTic9btP38

Old 04-29-2020, 10:16 AM

370 posts, read 447,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieahboo View Post
I’m deciding too move (18) , I’m looking in the Lafayette area (possibly their community college) & would really like some suggestions (especially jobs ) , some advice (I’m going blindly to leave the nest of where I’m from which is Kentucky) but I gotta good feeling it’s a going to be the best thing ever . So enlighten me here . (I’ve saved by far a lot )

First and foremost, Louisiana has a violent higher crime rate per capita than Kentucky.
Louisiana 5.3
Kentucky 2.12

You are going to need to approach people differently here and also learn to avoid being in public at night.

SOURCE:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Second, our economy has a strong oil industry component. Recent drop in oil prices is translating directly into unemployment for people working this industry. Lafayette and New Iberia depend heavily on offshore oil drilling activity. Make your own assumptions from that regarding my first point.

Third, Lafayette over built their urban centers during the oil boom and many businesses were on the decline after workers were leaving the industry for the past few years.

Finally, one key reason for attending a university is to network and find good jobs in the area once you graduate. Nothing about the economic future in Lafayette points to good jobs in the next few years.

Last edited by Yac; 05-04-2020 at 07:45 AM..

Old 05-03-2020, 08:53 PM

372 posts, read 450,565 times
Y’all sure know how to take the positiveness of the OP and flip it to doom and gloom. I too want to know what’s the move for but don’t listen to all the negativity. Southern Louisiana is fun place and and SLCC are great colleges and improving. What kinda job prospects are you hoping to have? Industry you looking to break into? That will let you know whether the area will be good to you for the future.

Despite the previous post about approaching people differently it’s wise to just be mindful period no matter where you are. I’ve not had an issue with crime since I’ve been here for 9 years. There is crime but mostly in certain areas that you probably won’t have a reason to be in. I’m not sure whether you’re just trying out a new place or looking for something more but don’t be discouraged.

Louisiana has a lot of problems and of course it’s experiencing some of the same economic woes as other places due to Covid 19. I would visit before making the jump. Unless you’re into politics I highly doubt an 18 year old is worried about political corruption... lol

Old 05-04-2020, 10:11 AM

712 posts, read 1,093,275 times
^ While it may appear negative, no one has lied about what they stated. Those are just some of the bleak realities of living in Louisiana. For an 18 yo to blindly move from Kentucky to the Lafayette area, to possibly attend community college and also get a job, it just doesn't make much sense given these realities. As you and others have mentioned, they should visit first and see if the area suits them. But at least the OP now knows what to possibly expect if they were to move down there and can plan better prior to the move. When I was 18, I was ready to get as far away from New Orleans as possible but thankfully I had people talk sense into me. Hopefully the OP will let us know what specifically attracted them to the Lafayette area or what they're looking for in general.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:08 PM

28 posts, read 44,850 times
I relocated to Louisiana from the central East coast 6 years, 11 months and 24 days ago. The reason people stay here and think it's "nice" is because they've never been anywhere else. Education? 48th-49th in The United States. Earning a living? Fine, if being assistant manager of the toilette seat display at Walmart is a goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana