Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 PM

5 posts, read 60,131 times

Advertisements

We're moving there soon from Indiana, and I'm wondering how often you see snakes in the NE part of the state. I know they tend to be more prevalent near the water, but how about just a regular backyard? Do you see them often?

I hope not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 AM

768 posts, read 4,386,809 times
I can't comment on NorthEAST Louisiana, but here in Northwest Louisiana around Shreveport they're fairly common. My dogs were fighting over a snake in the backyard earlier this week, as a matter of fact. But it seems to mostly be grass snakes. If there's a bayou or drainage ditch in your neighborhood, there's a good chance you'll find other snakes and creatures from time to time. Every year I get crawfish mounds in my front and back yard, for example, and to be honest with you there's not a natural water feature for quite a good distance from my home.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:15 PM

635 posts, read 3,092,838 times
Very common.

NE Louisiana still has a lot of wetlands, swampy areas, and other habitats ideal for snakes even as compared to the coastal areas.

I would consider all of Louisiana pretty heavily populated by snakes that prefer anything from water(moccasins) to dry(timber rattler), and in-between(copperhead). There are also a lot of non venomous snakes such as black snakes, king snakes, and other varieties.

It isn't something to be overly concerned about, but NE Louisiana definitely has snakes.

Al

Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 PM

eeks- that's what I was afraid of. Where we live now, there aren't many at all (I haven't seen one in about 20 years). We are contemplating living lakefront, but the snake thing has me so freaked out that I'm not sure I could enjoy it.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:38 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
Watch your step bulldog and you'll be fine. I never see any in the dead of winter, but in spring they come out and you must be careful then. In mid summer they are out early am or late pm and at night. Fall you see them. Not necessarily the bad ones (unless you think they are all that way). Some water snakes look kind of like cottonmouths. I have spotted several coachwhips along side the road. Had a gold speckled king snake in my back yard once Hauled it off and released it in a field.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 AM

Hopefully I'll never have to be close enough to see if it's venomous or not What in the world is a coachwhip?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:06 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog6 View Post
Hopefully I'll never have to be close enough to see if it's venomous or not What in the world is a coachwhip?
Wikipedia says they're small, thin, fast-moving and non-venomous. Coachwhip (snake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I think they're cute! I haven't spent much time in north Louisiana. This is the best news I've ever heard about it because I love snakes! I don't see too many snakes where I am...but then again I'm in an urban area.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 PM

I know that many people harbor quite a fear of snakes, often involuntary in nature, even when they know there is little in reality to fear.... which I can respect.

But do keep in mind that except for areas that really are quite cold(except maybe an island devoid of snakes), snakes are all over, you just don't see them. I bet even Indiana has a fair share out in rural country. And they don't want to see you either. In fact, they REALLY don't want to see you

The Snakes of Indiana

I lived in many states for decades that would likely be considered to have a "high concentration" of snakes, and only ran into two venomous snakes in the wild, and really not even that many non-venomous. Again, they really like to avoid YOU, and many are sensitive to vibrations and sense you long before you come tromping along *laugh*

Unless you have an insurmountable fear of snakes, or even the thought of snakes, I wouldn't consider the incidence of snakes in LA a significant factor in moving there.

....now if they were just slithering all over everyone's yards, and climbing into cars, that might be different

Cheers,
Al

Old 09-29-2008, 08:10 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post
But do keep in mind that except for areas that really are quite cold(except maybe an island devoid of snakes), snakes are all over, you just don't see them.
I don't know...I don't think they are in urban areas. I'd be really excited if they were, though!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I don't know...I don't think they are in urban areas. I'd be really excited if they were, though!
Well I'm sure that just like any wild animal that snakes are less concentrated/common in urban areas due to loss of habitat and people, but you also might be surprised at how well they adapt. One can still find them in micro-environments like sewers, culverts, streams/ponds, and sometimes just turning up in the most odd places. But I'd agree that it would be quite unusual, and newsworthy, to say.... run into a timber rattler or cottonmouth basking on the sidewalk along "main street"

It is also important to point out that new construction in what had been undeveloped areas also tend to exacerbate confrontations between wildlife and humans until the former is driven away. I can remember living in Houston(well, actually Townewest/Sugarland) and looking a huge fat cottonmouth through a floor to ceiling window in my brand new elementary school with my classmates. It was fascinating, and I'm sure the snake was pretty unhappy we had "moved in"

Bottom line, unless someone has an overwhelming phobia and anxiety of the "chance of running into a snake", even with snakes being native to LA, it really isn't a problem and is rare to run into them unless one is looking for them. Again, they really don't like YOU, and tend to know you are there first and run away. People tend get into trouble with snakes(and most other wild animals/insects) really in two ways: 1) Ignorance and bad luck of putting the animal on the defensive, such as stepping on a snake. Or in my case, cornering a raccoon in a tree by accident or 2) Intentionally harassing the animal, such as chasing and grabbing a snake or throwing rocks at a hornet nest

For example: I lived on a bayou for 2 years(one house row removed, so about 150ft away), and never had one snake found in the yard. If I didn't have snakes sleeping in my shoes in that scenario, I don't what would be more likely

Al
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana