Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:28 PM

154 posts, read 533,936 times

Advertisements

Just for the record, which school do you guys think is better Southeatern or Louisiana Monroe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 06:26 PM

14 posts, read 83,936 times
YES the University of Louisiana at Monroe is a good school! what is you major?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:19 PM

Accounting, I have a brother in Louisiana, I would love to be closer to him. I just know nothing about Louisiana. I can get a larger scholarship to SELU. Can you guys give me some info on it? Also, whats crime like in Hammond or Monroe?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:09 PM

763 posts, read 2,661,367 times
Monroe Louisiana Crime Reports, Crime News, and Crime Statistics

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Try these.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 04:54 AM..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:54 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,569 times
I have been Northern Louisiana along I-20 back in 1999 and to New Orleans via I-55 in 1997 and get the impression that northern Lousiana resembles more of Mississippi and Arkansas and New Orleans and the part of Southern Lousiana reminds me a little bit of Florida with minor variations. To me, the humidity of New Orleans and Orlando are similar (very humid) but my seem different those from either one of the cities or who have visited the areas.

With the people, people from both areas were friendly but there were a couple of ladies from Southern Louisiana that were very nice people but comical at a conference in the MPLS-St.Paul area. There was a NO Saints- MN Vikings game on TV and the two ladies show their pride for the Saints and wore the jerseys, and this was up in Vikings territory. They were very talkative to say the least. Very interesting people.

I remember Northern Lousiana people being friendly as well in addition to the people in New Orleans and the Hammond area.

Thinking of the friendly people, I am getting excited to explore parts of Louisiana in four to five months, although I have several routes in my mind.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:38 PM

I was told today that New Orleans and Baton Rouge had no "southern feel" to them. They are more like New York then then South. Is this true????

Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees_are_kool View Post
I was told today that New Orleans and Baton Rouge had no "southern feel" to them. They are more like New York then then South. Is this true????
New Orleans, definitely - it was partially settled by the same Irish and Italian immigrants who came to NY. BR is fairly southern, although it has some influence from Cajun country, north Looziana, and New Orleans, thanks to the petrochemical industry, state government, and the universities.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:34 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
Where do north and south split?

and where do the cajuns live?

Is cajun separate from north and south cultures?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:53 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Where do north and south split?

and where do the cajuns live?

Is cajun separate from north and south cultures?
My general rule of thumb for splitting north and south is this (I don't want to list each parish - that'd put people to sleep ) - outside of metro NO, parishes west of the Miss River and south of Alexandria are "south Louisiana" and are majority Catholic/Cajun. Alexandria and parishes to the north are "north Louisiana" and are Protestant (Baptist) majority. That leaves the "Florida Parishes" - an area east of the Miss River from Baton Rouge east to Hammond and Bogalusa which are closer to north Louisiana than to the south. However, Baton Rouge has a little of north, south, and NO in it.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
northern part is much more like mississippi.
south east has its own game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana