Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times

Advertisements

Southern louisiana-primarily catholic. Northern Louisiana-primarily protestant. Also in the north louisiana, white gravy is used more often than brown gravy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 04:51 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Heaven View Post
Don't expect too much of the people from south Louisiana, especially if they were born and raised there. They've never been exposed to anything else, but South Louisiana traditions. They are rude and will try to dominate you. And please don't expect a warm smile or "good morning", unless you've grown up or lived there most of your life. They actually believe that there's something owed to them other than just to breath.

Don't get me wrong, I've lived in Louisiana most of my life; but traveling beyond these borders gives you an understanding of what life can be outside of the south - how people can be just people if you know what I mean. Most north Louisianans are more pleasant, but still limited in their views of the world in general.

Get ready for a big culture shock.
I was born and raised in S. Louisiana , and still somehow managed to be exposed to cultures and traditions from about half of the other states , and a couple of foreign countries . That kinda shoots a hole in your theory right away . You strike me as somebody that got your fragile feelings hurt , or just had a hard time " fitting in " . More than likely through some fault of your own . Could it be your attitude , perhaps ?

Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM

91 posts, read 256,718 times
you can tell where people is from by how much hot sauce they put on they food. that for sure. like north La may put one or two drops if any on they food and south La. will put 6 or more on they food. New Orleans and south east La put 4 or 5 and lake Charles and the south west La. may put 3 drops of hot sauce on they food.
This may help you out

Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko500 View Post
you can tell where people is from by how much hot sauce they put on they food. that for sure. like north La may put one or two drops if any on they food and south La. will put 6 or more on they food. New Orleans and south east La put 4 or 5 and lake Charles and the south west La. may put 3 drops of hot sauce on they food.
This may help you out
Now, now-in north Louisiana_"Some Like It Hot"

Old 09-19-2010, 11:51 AM

420 posts, read 479,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko500 View Post
This may help you out
Yea right, I wish i could show you the relation between my hot sauce cabinet and my trash can. I could go through some hot sauce...and thats coming outta Monroe, LA buddy!!

With you being from Lake Charles that close to Texas you might have some of that ol' Texas Pete hot sauce on your plate!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:31 PM

I talking about the drops of tabasco sauce you count as they add it to the food. I know some like it hot no matter where they live. Most restaurants here will have tabasco.
As for tabasco I like it but it not my favoite sauce as the vinegar taste I do not like in all my foods so I look for sauces that have the heat like tabasco but with out the vinegar taste. I finded some but then they went out of business
as for Texas Pete I tried it but not hot at all to me. It is fairly mild, registering 747 on the Scoville heat scale
and Tabasco is 2,500-5,000 SCU on the Scoville scale.
That a big diff in heat there.
of couse i try diff types of hot sauces and even made my own as i find the receipes on the net and if I like what I see i try them out some times.
here one of tghe sauces i made which is very good Piri-Piri and you find it here on this link http://www.gumbopages.com/food/piripiri.html
plus what is good about makeing your own is you can make it hotter of mider to your taste.
Oh the gumbopages is real good on good Louisiana foods
oh i put about ten drops of tabasco on my food. I lived in lafayette from 1970 to 2010 and just moved to Lake Charles. still looking for good cajun food to eat out at but so far just my house

Old 09-19-2010, 06:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,241,105 times
Tabasco sauce is for tourists.
Too salty and vinegary.

My grandparents and great grand parents didn't cook with Tabasco. Neither did my parents. Neither do I.

I'm 100% Cajun. Literally. We don't use that stuff. Avery Island is nice, however.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:48 PM

you right, Sacalaitwhisperer. But in a restaurants many do not have nothing else. not even cayenne pepper. I did ask a few times and they did not have it lol.
Now if I cooking for myself it be cayenne or some other hot pepper. But if I got people comeing over or cooking for others I have to hold back the heat and put out the hot sauces. Piri-Piri is made for cooking but you can add it to the food like a hot sauce too.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:03 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
I use a lot more Tony Chacheres and Slap Ya Mama seasoning than any kind of hot sauce.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 PM

I do too. oh talk about tony Chacheres the receipe of it is on gumbopages. So if you like to change any part of it like if you can not use salt. You can just add the salt sub. for the salt.
here the link
Creole seasoning blend
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/creole.html
i did mix it just like they say and it came out like you buy in the store. Now I can change it anyway i wish too. I leave out he black pepper and just add white pepper in it place

Last edited by jocko500; 09-19-2010 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: misspelled word, added a link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana