Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:11 AM

33 posts, read 161,720 times

Advertisements

I know the Economy is not at its greatest these days...But I know some cities fair better then others...North and South of our state where are the jobs at??? Let me know your opinions......And share cities that you think are on the decline.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel et Intelligent View Post
I know the Economy is not at its greatest these days...But I know some cities fair better then others...North and South of our state where are the jobs at??? Let me know your opinions......And share cities that you think are on the decline.......
I can't think of any Louisiana cities that are in the dumps, although Shreveport is nervously awaiting to see what will happen with the GM plant, and Alexandria has had layoffs at Union Tank Car. Besides that, Monroe is supposed to get a car plant, BR is holding its own, as are Lafayette, Lake Charles, and New Orleans.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:58 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
Lafayette is doing really well right now. Last month unemployment was at 4.2% and I havent seen much business closing. Mostly Ive seen stuff being built and opening new branches.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Lafayette is doing really well right now. Last month unemployment was at 4.2% and I havent seen much business closing. Mostly Ive seen stuff being built and opening new branches.
Lafayette has come a long way from the oil crash of the 80s. I want to say it's one of the fastest growing Louisisna cities (although I'm sure BR isn't far behind).

Old 06-23-2009, 05:10 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
I can't think of any Louisiana cities that are in the dumps, although Shreveport is nervously awaiting to see what will happen with the GM plant, and Alexandria has had layoffs at Union Tank Car. Besides that, Monroe is supposed to get a car plant, BR is holding its own, as are Lafayette, Lake Charles, and New Orleans.
Yes, Union Tank Car has been laying some workers off (I'm not sure of the exact number but I think it was around 75). But still the economy isn't too bad at the moment. StarTek (a call center) is hiring 100 new workers and their are expansions going on at St. Frances Cabrini Hospital.

Alexandria was dealt a major economic blow when England AFB closed back in 1992, and it has come a long way since then.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
Yes, Union Tank Car has been laying some workers off (I'm not sure of the exact number but I think it was around 75). But still the economy isn't too bad at the moment. StarTek (a call center) is hiring 100 new workers and their are expansions going on at St. Frances Cabrini Hospital.

Alexandria was dealt a major economic blow when England AFB closed back in 1992, and it has come a long way since then.
I was told once that in the 90s (post England) harly any new neughborhoods were built in Alex.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:58 PM

81 posts, read 295,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
although Shreveport is nervously awaiting to see what will happen with the GM plant.
Well, if the Chinese deal goes through for Hummer, then the Shreveport plant will actually be expanding to add another line because the Hummer H3 overseas production will stop and that line will be moved to our plant.

To the original poster: as far as job markets go, apparently Forbes.com and BusinessWeek.com think Shreveport-Bossier is in a good spot right now, as evidenced by the following recent media announcements:

FORBES LISTS SHREVEPORT-BOSSIER AMONG THE COUNTRY’S TOP CITIES FOR BUSINESS, CAREERS AND JOB GROWTH - ConnectingSB - Shreveport Bossier City (http://www.connectingsb.com/forbes-lists-shreveport-bossier-among-the-country%E2%80%99s-top-cities-for-business-careers-and-job-growth/ - broken link)

The Best Places to Start Over: Where the Jobs Are - BusinessWeek

As an added bonus, here is a short BusinessWeek.com article about Shreveport's Highland Hsitoric District, which it has listed as one of 15 "Up-and-Coming Neighborhoods" across the nation:

The Best Places to Start Over: Where the Jobs Are - BusinessWeek

Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 PM

420 posts, read 479,062 times
Economic development is huge in Northern Louisiana!!! From Shreveport to Ruston to Monroe, You wont find no where esle in Louisiana where things are moving at a faster pace except along I-20. I mean Monroe felt the hurt of economic hard times 5 years ago losing about 3,000 jobs, but gain 5,000 more new jobs in that same 5 years. I agree Lafeyette has to be the hottest city in the state, but collectively as whole, Northern Louisiana is the all super duper powerful allmighty!!!! haha, but no seriously, southern Louisiana is just culture, customs, and tourism. You want a real job and dont wanna catch iodine poisoning from eating shrimp all day, come to North Louisiana and experience less mosquitos and swamps!!! lol.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:03 PM

81 posts, read 295,089 times
So sorry, I screwed up my post by posting the "Where the Jobs Are" link twice. The second link I posted was supposed to be this one: Buy Now While They're Cheap: Shreveport, La. - BusinessWeek. Again, sorry.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUISIANA'SLEGEND View Post
Economic development is huge in Northern Louisiana!!! From Shreveport to Ruston to Monroe, You wont find no where esle in Louisiana where things are moving at a faster pace except along I-20. I mean Monroe felt the hurt of economic hard times 5 years ago losing about 3,000 jobs, but gain 5,000 more new jobs in that same 5 years. I agree Lafeyette has to be the hottest city in the state, but collectively as whole, Northern Louisiana is the all super duper powerful allmighty!!!! haha, but no seriously, southern Louisiana is just culture, customs, and tourism. You want a real job and dont wanna catch iodine poisoning from eating shrimp all day, come to North Louisiana and experience less mosquitos and swamps!!! lol.
Southern Louisiana is what gives the state its identity. Dont underestimate its importance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana