Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emom975 View Post
I must be missing something then because on all my drives through downtown Louisville I don't see too much to even bring up it in the same conversation as Chicago or Nashville. Where or what besides betting on horses or watching a minor league baseball game? There is not much within walking distance of the riverfront. Louisville can not attract people from other states with its current school system etc. Louisville lacks suburbs instead it encompasses all the towns around it.

I know many people who have lived here a few years for their jobs and left when they could. Louisville needs to try to keep the people that move here for jobs and attract others to the area who want to stay. Most families moving into the area that can afford it move to Oldham county. I think that's just sad because the city should offer sooo much more.

I'm trying to think of major companies that would want to have meetings or conventions in the area. Even cities in California are hurting because companies are cutting back on meetings and conventions. But I'm sure an expensive new hotel in downtown Louisville will be the draw. While I realize my federal taxes will be increasing to pay for this project; I hope my state and city taxes will go down with the wealth of money this project brings in.
I am not sure how much you know when you mention Chicago and Nashville in the same breath. Louisville's urban neighborhoods are more walkable and more dense than Nashville. The city of Louisville and its urban area is larger than Nashville. In the last 20 years, Nashville's metro area has become quite a bit larger, and that is what OffTopic is referring too. 30 years ago Nashville had no pro teams. Neither did Indy. If you really think there is THAT much more to do in Nashville than Louisville well, you just don't know much about Louisville yet.

I am a Chicago native, have lived all over, and Louisville is a great midsized city. But to mention a mega world class city like Chicago with Nashville...come on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I must be missing something then because on all my drives through downtown Louisville I don't see too much to even bring up it in the same conversation as Chicago or Nashville. Where or what besides betting on horses or watching a minor league baseball game? There is not much within walking distance of the riverfront. Louisville can not attract people from other states with its current school system etc. Louisville lacks suburbs instead it encompasses all the towns around it.

I know many people who have lived here a few years for their jobs and left when they could. Louisville needs to try to keep the people that move here for jobs and attract others to the area who want to stay. Most families moving into the area that can afford it move to Oldham county. I think that's just sad because the city should offer sooo much more.

I'm trying to think of major companies that would want to have meetings or conventions in the area. Even cities in California are hurting because companies are cutting back on meetings and conventions. But I'm sure an expensive new hotel in downtown Louisville will be the draw. While I realize my federal taxes will be increasing to pay for this project; I hope my state and city taxes will go down with the wealth of money this project brings in.

How about all the museums? Four and Five diamond restaurants? Waterfront Park, a top ten urban park in America? Large companies and fortune 500 headquarters? Fourth Street Live, the growing Arena district and bars, and even more great restaurants? The art galleries and art gallery hops? And this is just downtown.

In all your drives downtown? So, I suppose you have not actually walked downtown? Just drove through a couple times on a weeknight, declared it dead, then went back to your suburb where you know everyone wants to live because you know all 1.3 million people in Louisville metro?

Really, emom, we know you are not happy in Louisville, but look at some of your posts and rethink your attitude. I am not trying to attack you. I am not trying to make you like Louisville...but your blanket statements are just downright false.

Oh, and by the way, Louisville has one of the top ten largest convention centers and hosts some of the nations largest conventions:

US Largest Convention Centers - Conferences - Conventions - Exhibitors - Exhibits - Trade Shows - Restaurants - Transportation - ExhibitorHost.com

So... more large hotels within walking distance of downtown are needed and Museum Plaza would fit the bill. But if you just moved to a city, and make blanket statements about its downtown without ever walking it, then how would you know?

Furthermore, your tax dollars aren't footing a penny of Museum Plaza, and as OffTopic said, the federal tax structure is such that it is killing those high earners, not the middle class.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:06 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
LOL, I told you I'd leave a response to others! A much better job that I could have done.

Louisville is a great midsized city with lots to offer. We need to make sure it stays that way and even improves through projects like this. This project is nothing but a win for Louisville, Louisville workers and Kentucky in general.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:52 PM

65 posts, read 140,138 times
Then I am happy for you and your city.

Hope to be out of here within a year. Everywhere I've taken by kids there have been incidents I don't expect or want my family exposed to. Knock down drag out fights at the Chickfila on East side, movie theater people cursing with cars speeding off, no these weren't teenagers but adults. and then the 3yr old calling a 7yr old **** at the pool--- yes all this in a nice area of town. These are my experience of just this past week. No this is not representative of the greater louisville but very disturbing none the less.

We have been to the riverfront park and it's nice but not as nice as many other cities. I haven't walked around the downtown area because of my experience at the riverfront park "crowd". There may be alot to do for you but I look for things to do as a family and going to the zoo, cave, waterfront park, & Churchill downs I didn't see many other families doing things together. That's just my experience over the last month. To me this is not an easy city for families to move to , find neighborhoods, schools, etc. and the city to me doesn't offer enough family friendly activities. That is only my opinion. I'm sure everyone will disagree.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 PM

39 posts, read 113,342 times
It's all a matter of perspective. My wife and I happen to think it's an outstanding city for family activities. Between All About Kids, ArtSparks, Louisville Science Center, the Zoo, Bats games, story time at a couple local library branches, numerous splash parks, an outstanding new playground down on River Road, the wonderful family pool at the New Albany YMCA, Frankfort Ave Easter Parade, Crescent Hill Old Time 4th of July, Yew Dell Gardens, Hidden Hill Nursery, blueberry picking at Bryant's Blueberries, Creasey Mahan Nature Preserve, Bernheim Arboretum, bicycling around Cherokee Park, the Anchorage Trail, etc, etc, we've managed to keep our 22 month old son and 7 month old daughter very happy and occupied. And they're not even old enough to get to some of the things I'd love to participate in.

Of course, we've never been parents anywhere else and lived most recently in Champaign, IL. Champaign was a great town in a lot of ways, but the population finds nothing else to do but drink for the colder 6 months of the year and we couldn't be happier raising our children here. Like I said, it's a matter of perspective and other locales could possibly offer more to us but we are happy we ended up here!

Quote:
Then I am happy for you and your city.

Hope to be out of here within a year. Everywhere I've taken by kids there have been incidents I don't expect or want my family exposed to. Knock down drag out fights at the Chickfila on East side, movie theater people cursing with cars speeding off, no these weren't teenagers but adults. and then the 3yr old calling a 7yr old **** at the pool--- yes all this in a nice area of town. These are my experience of just this past week. No this is not representative of the greater louisville but very disturbing none the less.

We have been to the riverfront park and it's nice but not as nice as many other cities. I haven't walked around the downtown area because of my experience at the riverfront park "crowd". There may be alot to do for you but I look for things to do as a family and going to the zoo, cave, waterfront park, & Churchill downs I didn't see many other families doing things together. That's just my experience over the last month. To me this is not an easy city for families to move to , find neighborhoods, schools, etc. and the city to me doesn't offer enough family friendly activities. That is only my opinion. I'm sure everyone will disagree.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:17 AM

Sorry to hear emom has had such a bad experience. But the knock on Louisville was for a long time that there were only family orientated activities and not enough for singles, etc. So I think we've worked hard to open options for everyone and I hope that hasn't led to a lessening of options for families. But TeamZissu has accurately shown that's not the case, imo.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Sorry to hear emom has had such a bad experience. But the knock on Louisville was for a long time that there were only family orientated activities and not enough for singles, etc. So I think we've worked hard to open options for everyone and I hope that hasn't led to a lessening of options for families. But TeamZissu has accurately shown that's not the case, imo.
Agreed. While it is probably among the best cities in its size range for families, it still has work to do in college attainment and the singles scene. But it certainly has a pretty decent singles scene now.

Emom its painting the whole city poorly based on a couple unfortunate circumstances that could have happened in any city. I truly am sorry she had to experience this because now she will likely not be able to see the positive sides of a great city. She just got a bad first impression.

Also, her comment about the "crowd" at Waterfront park is suspect. If she is insinuating that having people of different races and socio-economic backgrounds coming to a common area to recreate is a bad thing, I am not sure she fits in with the growing liberal and accepting mindset in Louisville. Coming from a much smaller area and also suburb in SC, the Midwest liberalness and diversity of Louisville may be a bit of a culture shock for her. That said, Louisville is not exactly a liberal or dangerous place. I remember when I first moved to the city I always thought, where the heck are the minorities? But I had lived in mostly larger coastal cities and Chicago growing up, so my perspective was skewed. It is all in ones perspective and what they are used to.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:55 PM

65 posts, read 140,138 times
I guess it is wrong to have commented about the waterfront area but it is wrong for me to want my kids to be able to be in public without people smoking all around them? There is no ill will towards any minorities cause these days we are the minority but that's fine. I just don't enjoy tatto's and piercings and smoking and yes that may be wrong but the more kids are exposed to it the more "accepted" it becomes. To each their own---

Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
To each their own---
I have a tattoo that says that!

Old 07-01-2010, 03:00 PM

8 posts, read 16,962 times
emom,

Do NOT be intimidated / bullied by these unfortunate souls who have no clue. You are right to move away. We have just moved after.........waaaaaay too many years here.

Louisville is a MEDIOCRE town in a POOR state. There is not much here for anyone.

The number one reason we moved was EDUCATION. There is none............be it public, private, or parochial. And just look at your choices at the "higher education" level...........not so good.

You are right in that there is not much to do here for families, esp. in the winter..............which for me, is endless and depressing.

I feel that I have done a major disservice in having my kids go to school here through middle school. They are behind in their schooling where we are now.

I hope Louisville gets its "act" together at some point.............you do have the state of KY dragging you down. All of this is a turnoff to corporations, high school graduates, and anyone who is contemplating a move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area