Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 20,862 times

Advertisements

krander: Louisville is not a safe place to sleep outside partner, I don't care what part of town you go to. Many have told you the right advice stay in a shelter until you can do better.

Quote:
LOUISVILLE (WAVE) -- A homeless man was brutally beaten last week, and police say a group of juveniles are responsible. Witnesses say there were almost 12 attackers, ranging in age from 13 to 17. WAVE 3's Scott Harvey investigates.

The assault happened around 2 a.m. June 27th, near the Salvation Army on Brook Street. We talked to several of the witnesses, who say this isn't the first time it's happened, it's just one of the few attacks that have been reported.
Links that can help

Homes and Communities - U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
http://www.homelesscoal.org/ourpublications/tips.pdf (broken link)

INTRODUCTION
The Louisville 2006 Street Tips booklet is produced and published by The Coalition for
the Homeless. It is intended to be a quick reference guide for those in immediate need of
shelter or services. In addition, we hope that service providers will find this guide useful
in providing referrals to our homeless population and others in need.
If you need additional copies, please call the office of The Coalition for the Homeless
(502) 589-0190 or print from our website, Coalition For The Homeless.
KEY TO SERVICES
(F) = Family
(S) = Single
(T) = Teen
(C) = Children
__________________________________________________ ______
EMERGENCY NIGHT SHELTERS
(S) (F) Center for Women and Families 581-7222
927 South 2nd Street (Domestic violence female victims only; call first for information)
(S) The Healing Place
1020 West Market Street (Men) 583-0369
1607 West Broadway (Women) 568-6680
(S) (F) Haven House 285-1197
1613 East 8th Street, Jeffersonville, Indiana
(F) (S) Salvation Army 625-1170
831 South Brook Street (check-in: 5:00 p.m. women 6:00 p.m. men)
(F) Volunteers of America 636-0816
1321 South Preston Street
(F) (S) Wayside Christian Mission 584-3711
812 East Market Street (check-in: 4:30-5:30 p.m.)
(T) YMCA Safe Place Services 635-5233
2400 Crittenden Drive
(S) St. Vincent de Paul Ozanam Inn (Men ) 584-

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 04:05 PM

4 posts, read 13,254 times
i would suggest going into the millitary if i were you krander

Old 11-25-2007, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 53,949 times
Smile Might be homeless

I strongly believe you will find free accommodation in Louisville while you look for a job. Not too far from the greyhound station, there is a shelter which will take you in and feed you. Please do not sleep on the streets because it is dangerous regardless of what city you live in. I am an active duty soldier getting ready to go back home to louisville, I would have offered you a place to stay while you got on your feet. If you are still active on this site, respond to this message so I can find some help for you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krander View Post
I might be homeless soon (for reasons beyond my control), is it safe to sleep outside in Louisville? I planned on moving there in the near future but now I am thinking about just taking a greyhound to Louisville with a couple hundred dollars and sleeping in random spots until I find a job there.

I would probably just sleep somewhere near the greyhound station, I hear about a place called the riverfront downtown? Do people just randomly sleep there?

Question- Would I have to worry about being robbed and mugged?
Also would places (like mcdonalds or similar) even hire me if I had no permanent residence? Should I just register a PO Box there and put that down on job applications?

It seems I keep getting handed the worst cards in life continuously and I just can't catch a break. At this point in my life I really wouldn't be too phased if I have to be homeless for a while, I just am wondering if I have to worry about being robbed/stabbed if I sleep in random places in Louisville.

I figure if I could find a job relatively quick in Louisville I would only have to sleep on the streets for maybe a month or 2 until I find a cheap apartment or someplace.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm at the end of my rope.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:25 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Default The Salvation Army has a shelter

They will allow you to spend the night there as long as you're going out in the day time looking for work. Just look in the phone book under Salvation Army. If they can't house you, they should be able to refer you to somewhere else.

Please don't sleep outside in Louisville - or anywhere else -

Louisville is not a low crime area.

I feel very bad for you. I've been seeing a whole new type of "homeless" person around the streets of our country.... you sound like you would fit the description.

Too bad Washington is so out of touch with the real America... and what's happening.

I wish I could personally help you. Call the Salvation Army. That is a good place to start. They have all kinds of help available.

Good luck!

Old 11-25-2007, 05:45 PM

336 posts, read 844,738 times
Default This Is My Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiergirl View Post
I strongly believe you will find free accommodation in Louisville while you look for a job. Not too far from the greyhound station, there is a shelter which will take you in and feed you. Please do not sleep on the streets because it is dangerous regardless of what city you live in. I am an active duty soldier getting ready to go back home to louisville, I would have offered you a place to stay while you got on your feet. If you are still active on this site, respond to this message so I can find some help for you there.
THANK YOU SOLDIERGIRL FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY. YOU ARE LIVING THE GOSPEL,IE, DOING UNTO OTHERS,LOVING THY NEIGHBOR AND FEEDING/SHELTERING THE HOMELESS.THANK YOU,WE NEED MORE YOUNG PEOPLE LIKE YOU...

Old 11-25-2007, 05:52 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Default family and friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowants2know View Post
Would love to give you advice, but need more info please. What has led to you being homeless? Are there no family or friends that can assist you? Why do you have trouble getting/keeping a job? What is your line of work? Would you consider going south to avoid cold winters, since winter really isn't that far off as it is.
Obviously, you have no understanding of what brings someone to the place of being homeless. Even if they answer the question...you probably won't get it.

you asked, Why do they have a problem getting and keeping a job? There is blame implied in your question...

There are millions of people who grow up in this country and are so damaged by their "families of origin" that they don't have the tools to take care of themselves in this wonderful, dog eat dog, society.

If this person had family or friends to turn to - do you think they'd be considering sleeping on the street ???

This poster may have other problems but when someone is so desparate that they are considering sleeping on the street rather than ask for public assistance... I doubt they are street people who know the ropes.

I've worked in Christian social service as a volunteer. I've personally met many in the OP's circumstances... It doesn't matter WHY they're there... what matters is HOW can we help them get back on the road to success.

When someone says that they just keep getting knocked down... they don't need more shame or blame from outsiders that have no idea how bad things really are. What they need is human kindness.

Happy holidays

Last edited by World Citizen; 11-25-2007 at 06:06 PM..

Old 11-25-2007, 06:44 PM

229 posts, read 879,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
Also, u might want to check with temp agencies!

I would suggest places like Labor Ready or temp agencies where one can get paid on a daily basis.

OTOH, I would NOT suggest places like Kelly Services, Adecco or even Manpower. I have learned over the years that while these place always take applications, a lot of times they don't really have jobs. And when they do, sadly a lot people are treated like garbage, My sister worked at a factory through Kelly, she was fired from her assigment because she spent more than 2 minutes in the bathroom. Plus she was telling me their Regular full-timers had three breaks and a half hour lunch while the temps only had a the one 15 minute break and thats it. Even though everyone worked the same amount of hours.

Also by going through these people, sometimes it may hard to get a permanent job elsewhere if you work for them. Say you have an interview with AT&T, Kroger, or whoever and write down "Manpower" as a reference. Manpower will tell them NOT to hire you because you do "assignments" for them. Its all about the money and profits.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 PM

Smile Let us help one another

I am glad you responded with such great insight and information to the previous post. A lot of people in this country don't care to help others even though they have everything they need in abundance. In other countries where people work so hard for very little money, you don't find people sleeping on the streets yet we call ourselves the most advanced, richest and civilized country on earth. What are we doing with all the wealth and material possessions we are accumulating when we can’t take them with us when we die?
I believe that real joy and happiness is being able to share what we have with others who need it.
The military offers a lot more than people can imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Obviously, you have no understanding of what brings someone to the place of being homeless. Even if they answer the question...you probably won't get it.

you asked, Why do they have a problem getting and keeping a job? There is blame implied in your question...

There are millions of people who grow up in this country and are so damaged by their "families of origin" that they don't have the tools to take care of themselves in this wonderful, dog eat dog, society.

If this person had family or friends to turn to - do you think they'd be considering sleeping on the street ???

This poster may have other problems but when someone is so desparate that they are considering sleeping on the street rather than ask for public assistance... I doubt they are street people who know the ropes.

I've worked in Christian social service as a volunteer. I've personally met many in the OP's circumstances... It doesn't matter WHY they're there... what matters is HOW can we help them get back on the road to success.

When someone says that they just keep getting knocked down... they don't need more shame or blame from outsiders that have no idea how bad things really are. What they need is human kindness.

Happy holidays

Old 11-26-2007, 01:49 PM

Wink The military isn't as bad as civilains make it.......

Excellent point but the military life isn't for everyone. Our country is at war so the thought of joining the military sounds scary to a lot of people. It offers a lot more than people can imagine. I have been on active duty for the past 4 1/2 years and bless the day I joined it. The basics are: a place to live, food everyday regardless of where mission takes us, money to pay the bills, money in our pockets, free medical and dental care for us and our immediate family members, great physical conditioning, pride of being able to perform the tasks a lot of civilians cannot even imagine performing in their lifetime. Free money for college and beyond.

If you plan on joining Krander, let me know and I will provide you money to come to Fort Polk, Louisiana and a place to live while you wait to go to basic training and AIT. This is a personal promise to my fellow American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strapped205 View Post
i would suggest going into the millitary if i were you krander

Old 11-26-2007, 01:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
dont do it very dangerous. sleep in public if necessary in the day. stay up at night ride bus or something else do not sleep in public places at night. do not crawl off to a secluded area and try to sleep at night the wrong people will find you.
this is why homeless really like cars even a lousy one, safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area