Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:04 PM

336 posts, read 844,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiergirl View Post
Excellent point but the military life isn't for everyone. Our country is at war so the thought of joining the military sounds scary to a lot of people. It offers a lot more than people can imagine. I have been on active duty for the past 4 1/2 years and bless the day I joined it. The basics are: a place to live, food everyday regardless of where mission takes us, money to pay the bills, money in our pockets, free medical and dental care for us and our immediate family members, great physical conditioning, pride of being able to perform the tasks a lot of civilians cannot even imagine performing in their lifetime. Free money for college and beyond.

If you plan on joining Krander, let me know and I will provide you money to come to Fort Polk, Louisiana and a place to live while you wait to go to basic training and AIT. This is a personal promise to my fellow American.
THANKS AGAIN,YOU HAVE GIVEN VERY GOOD ADVICE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 05:39 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,052 times
This kind of question would not come up in most of Europe. It points to a lack of social security in USA.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:44 AM

209 posts, read 739,013 times
I have sent your question to Wayside Christian Mission, an excellent helping organization. I told them I can relay information they might have... or you can contact them directly, if you still have access to email, at tim@waysidechristianmission.org

I wish you the blessings you need, krander.

And yes, internat, the US is far behind in truly caring about its poor, and caring for them. But we love to punish and scold.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:03 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Two nights ago a homeless man was strangled to death in the downtown area.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:56 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,052 times
That is sad. I do not think such a society is sustainable. I think it is a product of uncontrolled Capitalism.

"Let all bear in mind that a society is judged not so much by the standards attained by its more affluent and privileged members as by the quality of life which it is able to assure for its weakest members."

--Javier Perez de Cuellar (former PM of Peru and Secretary General to the UN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by louroclou View Post
And yes, internat, the US is far behind in truly caring about its poor, and caring for them. But we love to punish and scold.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:59 PM

8 posts, read 38,685 times
Lightbulb Why be mean! here's a good place to sleep

As someone who is about to be homeless I fully understand! Your doing what it takes while you still can. I know how tuff it is. I hurt my back two years ago, (double herniation) I also have arthritis in my knees. I applied for everything everywhere. No-Help-Yet! I'm an orphan so family is non-existent. I did my research already. The places to go no matter where your at is to the town center. Specifically near a library. The one near me has a bridge nearby so when it rains I'll be protected. I will also use the library's resources to try to get help. They do have Internet access. Most library's have a bench or two and many have large grounds. Thankfully I made it through the winter. New York City is one of the toughest cities to be homeless in.
At the local homeless shelters violence is very common. Rape of the weak and elderly occurs all the time. It seldom goes reported because the caretakers don't want anyone to know it happened under their watch. The drugs and alcohol people use these shelters on a daily bases and know when a newbie comes in. They actually fight amongst themselves to see who gets to rob/molest them. They dig their filthy fingers down into your crotch area to see if your hiding something. Also, everyone has to be out at 6:00am, Then, the daily search for a meal begins, walking from one soup kitchen to the next takes up the day for you. By the time your done you'll have to be back at the shelter before your locked out.
The best bet is to avoid shelters unless its somewhere safe and you know it. Don't buy the hype that the government takes care of these people. THEY DO NOT! Worker's caseloads are so overwhelmed that proper care giving is near impossible. Why do you think many homeless prefer jail?
In my quest for employment I've failed. I have respiratory problems that tire me out after walking 20 feet or so. I can't climb stairs due to my knees. I'm clean, proud and resourceful, like the person who asked "where's a good place to sleep" I know this is a person who will eventually be a winner.
Friend, if you get this message ignore & forgive the people who don't understand. They can't help it, they just don't know how to be helpful.
I could spend all day talking about this. But I'll save you the drugery. I hope I planted a few seeds in the open minded.
Me- I'm not dumb, I'm not mentally wounded in any way. I have a degree in geophysics and could run mental rings around anyone. I choose to be who I am and so did the guy who asked 'where's a good place to sleep. It's people who have to analyze everything said, put salt on it eat half and toss the rest away like you who will never get the message.
Thanks for reading.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 AM

81 posts, read 254,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
This kind of question would not come up in most of Europe. It points to a lack of social security in USA.

We demand more personal responsibility, Which while could be hard on some folks doesnt mean they have to sleep in the streets. there are all kinds of shelters programs to help you get back on your feet. And those with kids get free food, free housing and free medical care.

Me personally ive been out without a home (6 months), i managed to stay with friends here and there. And because of that i now make sure i take care of my health happiness and money. Its all intertwined in this country as it should be. If you are happy you will automatically want to work and provide for yourself. Its human nature. The government can keep their money.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,665 times
Hey , i once droped a homeless person off at Cherokee Park Its located off of 64. You just have to stay out of the sight of cops.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:46 PM

221 posts, read 751,720 times
Edgey, thanks for telling it like it is.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:45 AM

246 posts, read 1,056,937 times
Default highliner

Thanks Edgey for lying it like it ain't. In the field of corrections, where we meet many people who lie pathologically, the experts refer to a post such as yours as "word salad", which indicates either a sociopathic personality disorder, or else organic brain disease. People, don't fall for this guy's stuff- there are many cards missing from his deck(which just might be stolen)- and his testimony is worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area