Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 32,758 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking for a 2br home or apartment for rent. However I have an eviction from 2006 due to a messy divorce that resulted in rent checks being bounced. Long story short, there was a judgment against me and I paid it full.

Sadly, I'm finding that just having an eviction has earned me quite a few rejections from several places. I've been up front and honest about my situation, but it hasn't got me anywhere. I have a solid work history and make decent money. I just need a safe place for myself and my 5 yr old son.

I'm running out of options as I'm basically living on craigslist waiting for something to come up that looks ok and will accept me as a tenant.

I do not have anyone to co sign for me so that is not an option. I'm risking being homeless soon if I can't find something fairly quickly.

Anyone know of any private owned apartment buildings or houses that would bypass a credit check or overlook an eviction?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 01:02 PM

20 posts, read 108,714 times
Have you checked rentalhouses.com (not sure if I'm allowed to post that or not); however, when I moved to Louisville, they had a fair number of listings. Also, not sure if it is an option or not, but you may try offering a double-deposit (ie two months up-front) and just explaining your situation with hopes of finding a sympathetic landlord--good luck, this does sound like a tough situation.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM

22 posts, read 77,860 times
As a landlord I can tell you that most homeowners will 100% require a full credit history. Think logically, its an investment and people are def. not going to take any risks. You may have to get a co-signer or live in a lower income area..best to straighten the credit issues b/c trying to get a house, car, apt. is going to caus many issues for you. Good luck in your search..

Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 89,296 times
Well I will be honest with you. I have been here 2mths looking for a place. I moved from Atlanta..and thinking seriously of going back. I think Louisville is very unfair for not accepting people with evictions. Now this may not be an option for you but Atlanta offers a lot of apartments on a second chance program A LOT of them are in good parts of town.

Check craigslist. Alot have $99 move in specials. I have realized in my 2 months of saying in Ky they are not very diverse here at all.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:40 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x.anonymous.x View Post
Well I will be honest with you. I have been here 2mths looking for a place. I moved from Atlanta..and thinking seriously of going back. I think Louisville is very unfair for not accepting people with evictions. Now this may not be an option for you but Atlanta offers a lot of apartments on a second chance program A LOT of them are in good parts of town.

Check craigslist. Alot have $99 move in specials. I have realized in my 2 months of saying in Ky they are not very diverse here at all.
I think it's a little unfair to say that 'Louisville' in and of itself is unfair and not very diverse. Like someone said above, think about it from the property owners point of view: they're protecting their investment. It's not their fault that you have some previous issues (which may or may not have been anything you could control, of course). that's where accountability for your decisions and actions come into play; that's why it's best to think ahead of time before doing something silly, or taking a risk. (Not saying that's what caused you to have something on your report that makes landlords balk, mind you). It just sounds very "Poor me! It's not fair!", which is just all too common these days, so if that's not the case, please know I meant no harm. Just giving an example.

And I have to be honest: why would anyone just up and move to a new city without having secured residence/accommodation before arriving in town? I don't know anyone who has had the Lifetime-movie-of-the-week-luck where they rock up in town, and get an apartment the next day. Even the cheapest (read: scummiest) places in the "worst" part of town will run a credit check.

Perhaps returning to Atlanta is in your best interest, if you are able to secure super economic housing in really great parts of town. if they offer second chances, maybe start there, and work your way "up"....?

good luck whichever road you choose.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 29,877 times
There is a lot of houses and apartments that don't run your credit you just have to drive around and look for for rent signs in their yard.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:02 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlinlou View Post
As a landlord I can tell you that most homeowners will 100% require a full credit history. Think logically, its an investment and people are def. not going to take any risks. You may have to get a co-signer or live in a lower income area..best to straighten the credit issues b/c trying to get a house, car, apt. is going to caus many issues for you. Good luck in your search..
I agree with you 100% about screening for credit. The landlord has numerous of bills to pay in a required time and if the renter doesn't have good credit, their check could bounce or they may not pay at all. You can't go letting a lady with a pretty smile or good looking man move in if they have issues. It would cause the landlord to have issues paying their bills and what they rely on from the tenants monthly income.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 PM

6 posts, read 36,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x.anonymous.x View Post

I totally agree with the lack of diversity in rental properties in Louisville. The city and its rental communities want so bad to believe its a major metro they try and act like they are renting in one. They will give an 18yr old kid,or a mexican with no rental history or credit an apartment over a grown man with 10years on the job w/ 1 eviction.The fact is there are not enough desirble areas in Louisville to be renting like that in such a small city. In the bigger urban areas you have thousands of other options to just renting an apartment. You have 100's of roommates posting's everyday in desirable areas of their cities. You have a ton of sublets,temporary housing properties, people renting out their pool houses. In louisville you have the inn town suites,or a sweaty old guy or college kid you can rent a room from while you try and squeeze yourself into an apartment. When I was younger renting in Louisville wasnt like it is now,and im not that old. The landlords, and even the property managers treated everyone on an individual basis. You could go into almost any apartment complex in the city show them you have a job and a good head on your shoulders,flash them a little cash and you were in. Now a days even the smallest apartment communities have 3rd party property managers guarding their properties like a pitbull.Im telling you this city has gone way down hill, and the reason is its lost its sense of what it is. I will be gone for good from this place in a few months and can not wait!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
A small scale land lord is more likely to be accepting than a large apartment complex. I don't think the apartments I got in the Highlands or Old Louisville even did a background check

Old 06-01-2014, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 21,232 times
Hi my name Micheal, just moved to Louisville from San Diego and Las Vegas before that. I agree the real estate market is tuff for people that have bad credit. I lost a home in Las Vegas because I got tierd of being the fool on the block that spent three times what the property was worth. I then moved to San Diego where rent ran from two to three thousand per month. I moved to Louisville to make a new start. Finding a place to live has been almost impossible. Im a RN for almost 21 years. I have a good job and my income is more than adequate. I just need someone who is trusting enough to give me a chance. Where do I go, where do I look. I am new here and could use some advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area