Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:57 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,267 times

Advertisements

You know we all have our "eeeks", and mine is June Bugs! I have personally handled all kinds of bugs, spiders, snakes, lizards and I'm not easily take back, but June Bugs do it to me! When I was a kid living in South Lake Tahoe we had hundreds of large [1 inch across] big yellow/black June bugs that would hit our big patio glass doors with a sound of a rock hitting glass going for the light, and then fall to the ground stunned but hissing. After a few minutes there would be dozens on the ground hissing. Quite a fright for a 3-7 year old! How are those June Bugs out there? Similar to what I describe or different? Inquiring June bug hater wants to know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 03:25 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
You know we all have our "eeeks", and mine is June Bugs! I have personally handled all kinds of bugs, spiders, snakes, lizards and I'm not easily take back, but June Bugs do it to me! When I was a kid living in South Lake Tahoe we had hundreds of large [1 inch across] big yellow/black June bugs that would hit our big patio glass doors with a sound of a rock hitting glass going for the light, and then fall to the ground stunned but hissing. After a few minutes there would be dozens on the ground hissing. Quite a fright for a 3-7 year old! How are those June Bugs out there? Similar to what I describe or different? Inquiring June bug hater wants to know. Thanks.
I think you are actually talking about cicadias. We had a huge outbreak two years ago. These bugs only emerge once in 17 years, so you should be ok. Almost any city in the Midwest or South had them a couple years ago. Boy, we had them bad around the beautiful parks in Louisville though. Also, I wouldn'dt judge all of metro Louisville by just one day of driving around...its much too large a metro area for that. If you are interested in highlighted tours, PM me and I can give you some recs.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:53 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
You may also mean japanese beetles and yes we have them but I can't say "hundreds". We also have june bugs that do hit your window but again it isn't hundreds. You might see four or five on your front porch or may find them in your pool but isn't too bad. If you are talking 17 year cicadas then those things fly EVERYWHERE but like STX said, they are only every 17 years. We do have a cicada that is sometimes confused with katydids that make a loud buzzing sound in the trees but you don't usually see them unless it is the shell that they shed. Hope that helps!

Old 10-22-2007, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
You may also mean japanese beetles and yes we have them but I can't say "hundreds". We also have june bugs that do hit your window but again it isn't hundreds. You might see four or five on your front porch or may find them in your pool but isn't too bad. If you are talking 17 year cicadas then those things fly EVERYWHERE but like STX said, they are only every 17 years. We do have a cicada that is sometimes confused with katydids that make a loud buzzing sound in the trees but you don't usually see them unless it is the shell that they shed. Hope that helps!
Missy, I have never seen the large june bugs you speak of? can you find a pic online? The only pests here for me are the cicadias.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:15 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,267 times
Interesting about those Cicadias. Why only every 17 years, just curious. Do you recommend covered porches for your home, I have noticed that some homes do have that done, or is it not really a issue?

Old 10-22-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Missy, I have never seen the large june bugs you speak of? can you find a pic online? The only pests here for me are the cicadias.
I guess it depends on what you call large but here ya go :

June bug:

Japanese beetle:

17 year cicada:

and the regular ol' cicada:

we have 'em all!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:08 PM

I had these in a huge tree in my yard:

Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 PM

Here's a link to bugs of KY, its easier than posting all the pictures lol:

University of Kentucky Entomology: KY Critter Files - Insects, Spiders, and Their Relatives

Old 10-22-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
Interesting about those Cicadias. Why only every 17 years, just curious. Do you recommend covered porches for your home, I have noticed that some homes do have that done, or is it not really a issue?
No...I don't think the bugs are too bad here. Cicadas hibernate and shed every 17 years for some reason. They really are disgusting and they make a heinous hum. They really are annoying, but the other bugs here are nothing that you would notice too much I don't think. By this time a year, most the bugs are dead anyways, so I doubt you'll see any when you visit.

It always interests me the things people worry about when they move !

Old 10-22-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Here's a link to bugs of KY, its easier than posting all the pictures lol:

University of Kentucky Entomology: KY Critter Files - Insects, Spiders, and Their Relatives
Oh wow, ive never seen any of those! I think you must be out in the country digging in dirt to see them. The pests here are the same as anywhere else. termites, roaches, and the occasional flies or "daddy long legs" spiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area