Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 05:07 PM

14 posts, read 30,546 times

Advertisements

Read my reply to the rentals, schools post too it has detailed school info. Kids or no kids good schools means good resale value !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:14 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,248,335 times
My wife and I were checking this listing here in this neighborhood
3116 Harmon Ct, Louisville, KY 40213 is For Sale - Zillow

This listing and another one nearby. Its close to the airport, is this a nice area? It says its considered Audubon Park, and actually there is a church nearby that we really like.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:38 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
My wife and I were checking this listing here in this neighborhood
3116 Harmon Ct, Louisville, KY 40213 is For Sale - Zillow

This listing and another one nearby. Its close to the airport, is this a nice area? It says its considered Audubon Park, and actually there is a church nearby that we really like.
That is a great area. Audubon park is gorgeous, historic, and has a country club. good prices for money and stable area. not much airport noise except early am, where ups jets can be heard on occasion. not too walkable but close to a few eclectic shops on preston, and a 10 min car ride to all that is cool in highlands, dt, nulu, crescent hill, germantown, etc. very central location.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:30 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
I really like the Audubon Park area too. That area would actually be my personal favorite area of Jefferson Co to live in from a home owner perspective. The only reason I didn't suggest it is because it is in the heart of the city (next to the airport and two major freeways) and I thought that might not be suburban enough. There would be some airplane noise in the AP area although the worse noise are directly N and S of the airport as that is the path the largest planes take. I used to live in Old Louisville and walls would sometimes shake lol. But in AP it would be more indirect but noticeable noise

Old 07-17-2014, 06:07 AM

Actually the house is right behind the country club..

Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 AM

Ok, regarding Audubon Park and these areas, how is the crime and burglary factor! We noticed that lots of homes in these areas, while nice, have iron security bars and alarms. One of the reasons my wife and I are leaving Arg is the burlary and violience here in Arg, which is around us on a daily basis. We've already had our house broken into once and everyone, I mean everyone here has alarms and iron security bars over every door and window, even 2 floor windows.
The burglary rate here is 1000 burglaries pero 100,000 people, as opposed to the US nat'l average which is about 120 per 100,000. Many times the burglaries are violent, they break in and wait till you get home and suprise you. So, security is also a BIG factor for us. In just our block alone, last year 2 cars were stolen in broad daylight!!

Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 AM

223 posts, read 300,346 times
Eric, good luck with your move to Louisville. I cannot speak to how it is now, but I did earn my undergrad. degree at the University of Louisville. I really loved the Kentucky charm, but I also really struggled with the accent at first. I think I missed half of what was said in class the first couple months until I got used to the accent. LOL! When I moved back to Wisconsin, everyone said I had a Southern accent. Now, when I talk on the phone to my good friend from Louisville, I find myself easily sliding back into the Southern accent...guess I'm a chameleon.

You must be missing that good Kentucky cooking if you've been living in Argentina for the past six years or so. I could go for one of those big biscuits right now! I think Louisville (like Lexington) is an absolutely beautiful area...different foliage, flowers, and more plush grass than around here. For me, the winters were mild...but I come from Northern Wisconsin. What can I say?

Good luck with your move and finding a nice neighborhood in Louisville...there are many.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
Eric, good luck with your move to Louisville. I cannot speak to how it is now, but I did earn my undergrad. degree at the University of Louisville. I really loved the Kentucky charm, but I also really struggled with the accent at first. I think I missed half of what was said in class the first couple months until I got used to the accent. LOL! When I moved back to Wisconsin, everyone said I had a Southern accent. Now, when I talk on the phone to my good friend from Louisville, I find myself easily sliding back into the Southern accent...guess I'm a chameleon.

You must be missing that good Kentucky cooking if you've been living in Argentina for the past six years or so. I could go for one of those big biscuits right now! I think Louisville (like Lexington) is an absolutely beautiful area...different foliage, flowers, and more plush grass than around here. For me, the winters were mild...but I come from Northern Wisconsin. What can I say?

Good luck with your move and finding a nice neighborhood in Louisville...there are many.
My family has been in Central Kentucky and western Kentucky for generations. They 1st settled Kentucky as Maryland catholics after receiving a land grant for their service in the revolutionary war ( like many early Kentucky pioneers ) They crossed the mountains in western Maryland hitched a ride down the Ohio river on a flatboat, got off at the "Falls Of the Ohio" ( now Louisville basically ) and headed south through Lebanon Junction and settled what is now SE Nelson, Washington and Marion counties in Kentucky, a little hamlet called "Raywick" Kentucky right on the "Rolling Fork." I still have many distant kin in those counties still living there to this day. After the civil war. my family moved further west and now reside in the Owensboro area where they all still live today after several generations more or less from when they first arrived on the "Rolling Fork".

Everybody in my family in Kentucky has a heavy southern accent ( Kentucky style ) even my aunt and three cousins that live in NE Louisville. Most of them live in tiny towns of less than 900 people or in the country and are pretty much country people. They love to hunt and fish and love Bluegrass and Old-Time Fiddle/Banjo music ( Like me. They are good traditional what I call "down-home" Kentucky folks and church going people and very friendly, not low-class or redneck types.. in some ways kinda like the folks in the movie "Elizabethtown" a little...big family gatherings BBQ's, little kids playing, running everywhere...very similar. As a man and a human being, I'd say Kentucky made me alot of who I am today.

Anyways, after being in Florida and Argentina for a while, I miss Kentucky and my family alot. I want to live in Kentucky and be near them, but also be in an area that has opportunities. Also my wife is 100% Argentine, she's a city girl ( she also struggled with Kentucky's accent ) however alot of folks in Louisville are from other parts of the US or maybe don't have an accent quite as marked as rural Ky ( although many still do ) so I think she'll manage a bit better in Louisville. Plus my mom is coming back to Kentucky in 2 years when she retires, she misses Kentucky and her brothers and sisters alot and now that my dad is passed she's pretty much alone in Florida except for my sister and my niece and nephew. Also, the Louisville area has a great Bluegrass and Folk music scene and me, being a former Mandolinist and tenor singer that used to sing and travel the SE in a few Bluegrass band I want to become active in the music again and also find a good Louisville area church and get active as well. Plus I want to be able to take my boy farmpond fishing or camping in the Bernheim or Jefferson Memorial Forest, it's all close by. And drive him around and show him the history of his Kentucky heritage, our heritage that runs deep there. So it's alot of nostalgia for me. And I think Louisville is the best compromise for both my wife and I.

I also miss what I call "Kentucky-Gourmet" ( everyone laughs when I say this it's a rhyme: "Kentucky gourmet: "Aint tofu but Burgoo and anything that goes "moo-moo" dried beans and taters, with fried cornbread and peeled maters, Pulled Pork, Mutton, Fried Chicken all greasy n' finger lickin, gravy n biscuits, fried apple fritters n' triscuits, Wild Turkey, Deer, fried rabbit's n' squirrel, come to ole Kentucky the cookins outta this world!!!

Oh yeaah, I think I need to add: Sweet Tea, grits and bacon in there somehwere LOL

I either get lot's of laughs or really dirty looks....

Last edited by EricOldTime; 07-17-2014 at 09:17 AM..

Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 AM

223 posts, read 300,346 times
Eric, sounds like you're a true Kentucky guy. I loved your poem...it's making me hungry!

Old 07-17-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
Eric, sounds like you're a true Kentucky guy. I loved your poem...it's making me hungry!
Me as well to be quite honest! I taught my wife how to make Biscuits and Gravy and eggs with grits, bacon and she's argentine but does a pretty good job!
I really miss my grandparents garden, they always had a huge garden and did alot of canning in Kentucky, always. They always had a batch of new snapped beans, sliced tomatoes, boiled Red Potatoes, Okra, corn on the cob ( in Ky they say "roastin ears" ) so at my grandparents house, we always ate good! Those were some of the best dinners I ever had, but sadly my grandfather (paw-paw) is gone and my granny is now very old so she can't keep a garden anymore since shes pushing 90 years old. They also used to make the best homemade pickles, sweet and spicy relish to eat with fried fish, everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area