Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:00 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I am pretty sure Bardstown Rd IS magazine st...
I looked around on streetview and one difference I see that Bardstown is a state highway and probably gets more car traffic. The different nodes along the street is very Magazine like. Also, is the road used for contraflow? The streetlights and striping looks like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948
The Marigny is very similar to Nulu, but a bit bigger...but throw in nearby Butchertown and Phoenix Hill, and parts of Germantown, and there is the Bywater/Marigny. Germantown is super hip. I guess its like a bit more gentrified Bywater?
Seems like Marigny and Bywater are more residential? Nulu maybe more the Warehouse District? E Market St is pretty impressive. Architecture is beautiful, I prefer the urban decay in Nulu. Hope they don't clean it up much!
Speaking of Germantown, are there any plans to develop that huge old building on E Oak St?
Quote:
Crescent Hill and Clifton could pass for the Garden District, but that said, you miss some of the antebellum housing, and definitely the trolley transit is lacking.
It's a streetcar! Trolley's are in SF.
I'd say the streetcar transit makes a big deal, not that I'd use it for work, but for recreation. The architecture and difference in fauna are welcomed. Fall colors are absent down here. And Clifton, especially Crescent Hill seem cut off from the Highlands. Is there a reason why there are so many dead ends in the area? The Garden District benefits from that too.
Quote:
Imagine a New Orleans not overrun with tourists (although that is RAPIDLY changing in Louisville and while it will never have NO levels of tourists, it speaks volumes all the hotels being built)....that is kind of how Louisville feels to the urbanite. Maybe NO in the off season?
There isn't much of an off season lol. Summer brings out all the locals and winter/fall/early spring is tourist season. Tourists are cool sometimes.
Quote:
There are just so many areas to see, and you will need a guide to see them and to understand them. Even though Louisville is a good clip larger than NO by every population measure, it feels smaller....but it doesn't act too much so. If New Orleans feels like a metro of 3-4 million to you, I'd say Louisville feels like 2-3 million, especially on the neighborhood level, where it kicks the butt of dozens of metros in the 2-3 million range.
Every population level? Wiki says the city and county government was just merged in 2003. Was the city always synonymous with Jefferson County?
Urban area population speaks more of the built environment, I'd say, and they are fairly identical.

Quote:
Louisville is such a mythical creature here on CD...I challenge you to come here. Spend a week. Stay at an airbnb in the Highlands. I will hand select one for you. Worst case scenario you eat some good food and drink some bourbon. Best case scenario you find a new home like I did. I would be happy to show you around,

Forecastle Festival: July 15-17, 2016

Come July 15-17 for this festival and thank me later It is like Jazz fest but with Indie music before Jazz Fest got overrun with poser tourists
Worst case scenario I drink a bottle of bourbon and end up in a drunk tank in the morning.

I don't recognize and band on that line-up haha. I'm a young black male and prefer hip-hop, soul, neo-soul/house, cinematic electronica, R&B, live music of almost kind.
Jazz Fest is for people who can afford to go now, it's ridiculous.
Festival International is a free fest in downtown Lafayette, LA where bands come from all over the world and play for two weekends. It's very cool, especially being completely free. Draws a crowd of 300,000.

How are the late eats? Variety of options after midnight? I would imagine that wouldn't be a problem in Louisville.

Also, are there any plans for rail transit in the city? This should be a high priority, Louisville being as urban as it is REALLY needs to get on the ball with that. New Orleans is lucky in that aspect as the 4th/5th streetcar line is under construction on N Rampart St.
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The Deep South architecture definitely made it's way up river to Louisville. Lots of shotgun houses (actually the same number of them as NOLA)

NOLA
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9275...8i6656!6m1!1e1

New Albany, across from Louisville
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2854...7i13312!8i6656
I always thought New Orleans had the most shotgun homes by a longshot!

Those brand new sidewalks really kill the historic vibe on that street in New Albany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 06:39 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
"I am pretty sure Bardstown Rd IS magazine st..."

Having been on both, I wouldn't go THAT far! But for a combination of big-city amenities with small-town friendliness, affordability, and ease of getting around, Louisville is right up there.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:48 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
As for population, each resident is a special snowflake. Sometimes in the winter there is enough real snow for the population to be in the billions. New Orleans can't even compare.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
As for population, each resident is a special snowflake. Sometimes in the winter there is enough real snow for the population to be in the billions. New Orleans can't even compare.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:04 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I looked around on streetview and one difference I see that Bardstown is a state highway and probably gets more car traffic. The different nodes along the street is very Magazine like. Also, is the road used for contraflow? The streetlights and striping looks like it.

Seems like Marigny and Bywater are more residential? Nulu maybe more the Warehouse District? E Market St is pretty impressive. Architecture is beautiful, I prefer the urban decay in Nulu. Hope they don't clean it up much!
Speaking of Germantown, are there any plans to develop that huge old building on E Oak St?

It's a streetcar! Trolley's are in SF.
I'd say the streetcar transit makes a big deal, not that I'd use it for work, but for recreation. The architecture and difference in fauna are welcomed. Fall colors are absent down here. And Clifton, especially Crescent Hill seem cut off from the Highlands. Is there a reason why there are so many dead ends in the area? The Garden District benefits from that too.

There isn't much of an off season lol. Summer brings out all the locals and winter/fall/early spring is tourist season. Tourists are cool sometimes.

Every population level? Wiki says the city and county government was just merged in 2003. Was the city always synonymous with Jefferson County?
Urban area population speaks more of the built environment, I'd say, and they are fairly identical.

Worst case scenario I drink a bottle of bourbon and end up in a drunk tank in the morning.

I don't recognize and band on that line-up haha. I'm a young black male and prefer hip-hop, soul, neo-soul/house, cinematic electronica, R&B, live music of almost kind.
Jazz Fest is for people who can afford to go now, it's ridiculous.
Festival International is a free fest in downtown Lafayette, LA where bands come from all over the world and play for two weekends. It's very cool, especially being completely free. Draws a crowd of 300,000.

How are the late eats? Variety of options after midnight? I would imagine that wouldn't be a problem in Louisville.

Also, are there any plans for rail transit in the city? This should be a high priority, Louisville being as urban as it is REALLY needs to get on the ball with that. New Orleans is lucky in that aspect as the 4th/5th streetcar line is under construction on N Rampart St.

I always thought New Orleans had the most shotgun homes by a longshot!

Those brand new sidewalks really kill the historic vibe on that street in New Albany.

BIG mistake #1...judging a city on google earth. Please just come visit. There are so many variables with google earth....time of day photos taken, weather, coldness, etc. Louisville IMO does not look as impressive on street view as it does in person.
Yes, Bardstown does have contraflow. Yes, it is actually US HWY 31e. It is as narrow as magazine but sees more traffic, so its is like Magazine combined with St Charles. It is not overwhelming though. Its a great pedestrian street, very active, even in the wee hours of the night, especially weekends (warm ones)

Nulu does not have that much urban decay left, and the little you see...theres millions in development going on. Thats why you need to see it in person...there is streetscape improvements coming, new bike lanes, multistory residential, 2 hotels, hundreds of apartments,2 new distilleries, and multiple restaurants and shops opening all the time (3 new retail shops will open in the next month, for example), 5 old shotguns being rehabbed into yoga studios, a coffee shop, furniture store, etc etc. All this just in Nulu. Nulu's residential area is combined with Phoenix Hill and Butchertown. That area is very residential, just like Marigny, Bywater. Lots of shotguns just like Marigny, and honestly Phoenix Hill is probably in better shape than Marigny, which gets pretty rough as you go east towards 9th ward. Its just Nulu is generally referred to as the main drag commercial area of E Market St.

In Germantown, yes, that building is starting development this summer:

Here's the ambitious plan to convert Germantown's enormous Bradford Mills complex into apartments — Broken Sidewalk

Theres so much going on in Germantown, including shotgun rehabs on it seems every other block, that this would require a whole new thread to talk about. Look through Brokensidewalk.com...it will show you a lot of development in the works.

This doesn't include Shelby Park and even Smoketown, which are doing really well:
http://www.courier-journal.com/story...sion/80400434/

Don't forget Old Louisville, Portland, Beechmont...just so many areas starting to really redevelop and its neat to watch.

Louisville developed the city on sort of a "turnpike system" So while downtown Portland, and the west end, along with parts of the south end, are gridded, the "east end" developed along "turnpikes" Frankfort Ave was the main turnpike to lexington, and there was interurban heavy rail trains with stops long it. This developed totally separate from the rest of the city, even Bardstown Rd, so it was cross connected on the grid. There are also some natural features and a creek in the way historically, and this areas was sort of streetcar suburbs in the late 1800s. This was the time that New Orleans, and then Louisville, were far and away the two largest cities in the south.

Louisville's eats are amazing. Easily top 20. There are a handful of good late night spots. Downtown, there is late night chinese and of course Spinellis pizza delivery until 5 am.

Lots of places have late night bar menus with upscale food. Here is one:

Butchertown Grocery | Brunch, Lunch and Dinner | Louisville, KY Dining

Same thing here, upscale menu served at the bar until 2 am:

Proof on Main | Downtown Louisville Restaurant and Bar

Here you can get sushi until 2 am

BARCode 1758 opens in old Maido location in Clifton - Insider Louisville

And there is lots more options, gastropubs, mexican, 24 hour international hookah cafe with food

These top 6 on yelp are all good too, and have varying degrees of a bar/restaurant vibe mix:
Best Late night food in Louisville, KY

Here is probably my favorite place to eat after midnight, and its also an awesome bar which got named one of the best new bars in the USA:
FOOD

Sadly, no plans for rail. The last plan got scrapped. There are grass roots efforts for it, and plans for BRT along suburban Dixie Highway (not my favorite place at all). https://www.facebook.com/L4MMT/

No, Louisville definitely has more shotguns, and its substantial the difference now after Katrina (NO was #1 before)
Preservation Louisville, Inc.

I disagree on New Albany...the streetscape on historic main, with the antebellum mansions, has been DRASTICALLY improved and looks great in person. The amount of development and retail in that area...it is truly surprising until you walk it. Before, it looked like a run down industrial town. Now that stretch makes you feel like you are in Savannah. And Jeffersonville is a huge tourist town now...just stop and ask the small business owners on Spring Street.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
BIG mistake #1...judging a city on google earth. Please just come visit. There are so many variables with google earth....time of day photos taken, weather, coldness, etc. Louisville IMO does not look as impressive on street view as it does in person.
Yes, Bardstown does have contraflow. Yes, it is actually US HWY 31e. It is as narrow as magazine but sees more traffic, so its is like Magazine combined with St Charles. It is not overwhelming though. Its a great pedestrian street, very active, even in the wee hours of the night, especially weekends (warm ones)
Oh no I'm awareof the streetview effect. They usually do it on the less busy days to avoid traffic and accidents. Not many cities look good on streetview, New York may by the exception.
Oh ok. Yeah St. Charles isn't really that active as far as pedestrians go. Good to know.
Quote:
Nulu does not have that much urban decay left, and the little you see...theres millions in development going on. Thats why you need to see it in person...there is streetscape improvements coming, new bike lanes, multistory residential, 2 hotels, hundreds of apartments,2 new distilleries, and multiple restaurants and shops opening all the time (3 new retail shops will open in the next month, for example), 5 old shotguns being rehabbed into yoga studios, a coffee shop, furniture store, etc etc. All this just in Nulu. Nulu's residential area is combined with Phoenix Hill and Butchertown. That area is very residential, just like Marigny, Bywater. Lots of shotguns just like Marigny, and honestly Phoenix Hill is probably in better shape than Marigny, which gets pretty rough as you go east towards 9th ward. Its just Nulu is generally referred to as the main drag commercial area of E Market St.
I like how they've preserved the look and kept some of the varying facades, that's something I can really appreciate being an artsy, creative person.
The bad thing about the Marigny and Bywater is the crime, Nulu doesn't have the problem. New Orleans crime will make you cringe if you aren't used to it. The Marigny isn't run down, you're thinking of the downriver (east) side of the Bywater, which will be served by streetcar in about another 5 years.
Quote:
In Germantown, yes, that building is starting development this summer:

Here's the ambitious plan to convert Germantown's enormous Bradford Mills complex into apartments — Broken Sidewalk

Theres so much going on in Germantown, including shotgun rehabs on it seems every other block, that this would require a whole new thread to talk about. Look through Brokensidewalk.com...it will show you a lot of development in the works.

This doesn't include Shelby Park and even Smoketown, which are doing really well:
Is Shelby Park the next Germantown?

Don't forget Old Louisville, Portland, Beechmont...just so many areas starting to really redevelop and its neat to watch.
Such a nice building, would love to sneak in and explore and shoot in there.

Sound like alot of NO hoods as well.
Quote:
Louisville developed the city on sort of a "turnpike system" So while downtown Portland, and the west end, along with parts of the south end, are gridded, the "east end" developed along "turnpikes" Frankfort Ave was the main turnpike to lexington, and there was interurban heavy rail trains with stops long it. This developed totally separate from the rest of the city, even Bardstown Rd, so it was cross connected on the grid. There are also some natural features and a creek in the way historically, and this areas was sort of streetcar suburbs in the late 1800s. This was the time that New Orleans, and then Louisville, were far and away the two largest cities in the south.
That makes sense.
I did notice the tracks and immediately thought about rail service. Could even be designed as old western inspired stop designs. Being that the rail is on one side instead of in the neutral ground or the street itself.
I never realized that about Louisville, always thought it was Charleston, the south didn't have many large cities so the influence of both cities must have been more like Denver is today.

Quote:
Louisville's eats are amazing. Easily top 20. There are a handful of good late night spots. Downtown, there is late night chinese and of course Spinellis pizza delivery until 5 am.

Lots of places have late night bar menus with upscale food. Here is one:

Butchertown Grocery | Brunch, Lunch and Dinner | Louisville, KY Dining

Same thing here, upscale menu served at the bar until 2 am:

Proof on Main | Downtown Louisville Restaurant and Bar

Here you can get sushi until 2 am

BARCode 1758 opens in old Maido location in Clifton - Insider Louisville

And there is lots more options, gastropubs, mexican, 24 hour international hookah cafe with food

These top 6 on yelp are all good too, and have varying degrees of a bar/restaurant vibe mix:
Best Late night food in Louisville, KY

Here is probably my favorite place to eat after midnight, and its also an awesome bar which got named one of the best new bars in the USA:
FOOD
This is all great! I love food and I'm up late frequently. Being that Louisville is mostly Catholic, how are the alcohol sales? I'm not used to having to prepare or go early or drive a long distance to get a bottle of wine or whiskey or a six pack. I imagine you have to go to specific liquor stores that close early to get anything other than Bud Light and Sutter Home. That's how it was in Texas. Baffled me for the longest time. Same when I went to Myrtle Beach.

Quote:
Sadly, no plans for rail. The last plan got scrapped. There are grass roots efforts for it, and plans for BRT along suburban Dixie Highway (not my favorite place at all). https://www.facebook.com/L4MMT/
That's too bad. The fabric certainly calls for it.
Quote:
No, Louisville definitely has more shotguns, and its substantial the difference now after Katrina (NO was #1 before)
Preservation Louisville, Inc.
That's a sad fact for me but it's great to see the effort in keeping them. It's amazing to see that the history literally floated upriver. I wasn't aware of any other American city with a significant amount of shotgun homes. Baton Rouge has some but not like New Orleans.
Quote:
I disagree on New Albany...the streetscape on historic main, with the antebellum mansions, has been DRASTICALLY improved and looks great in person. The amount of development and retail in that area...it is truly surprising until you walk it. Before, it looked like a run down industrial town. Now that stretch makes you feel like you are in Savannah. And Jeffersonville is a huge tourist town now...just stop and ask the small business owners on Spring Street.
I was only talking about the sidewalks and new curbs. Trying that in New Orleans will get a lynch mob in your front yard. Our cracked sidewalks bubbling with tree roots are part of the history. That's why I mentioned it. Homes are beautiful.

I often think my standard of urban is unfair because New Orleans is the only truly urban city I know on an intimate level. It's the only think I can compare to. I know Houston well but Louisville historically is much much better.

Louisville reminds me of Baton Rouge as well, except our surrounding neighborhoods are in a bit worse shape and perhaps less industrial.

I'm going to have to visit soon.

Thanks for all the information Peter, been a big help. I'll buy you a beer.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Quote:
This is all great! I love food and I'm up late frequently. Being that Louisville is mostly Catholic, how are the alcohol sales? I'm not used to having to prepare or go early or drive a long distance to get a bottle of wine or whiskey or a six pack. I imagine you have to go to specific liquor stores that close early to get anything other than Bud Light and Sutter Home. That's how it was in Texas. Baffled me for the longest time. Same when I went to Myrtle Beach.
Catholic cities are usually looser on alcohol than Baptist and Protestant from what I've noticed. Most of the South is Baptist and Protestant. Think about the most "Catholic" places in the country. NYC is heavily Italian. Chicago is heavily Italian and Irish. NoLa is known for being Catholic. Miami and the west coast are heavily Latino. A lot of the river cities have Catholic heritage. Cincinnati, Louisville, STL, etc. Louisville itself is a very very "wet" place lol. Bars open till 4am. I think stores stop selling at a certain time, but I can't remember when. On Sunday, you can purchase after 12 noon, but besides that, I don't think there are any other restrictions. Not many other cities around that have such late last calls. According to Wikipedia, Albany, parts of Atlanta, Buffalo, Chicago, Louisville, Miami, NoLa, NYC, and Shreveport are the only major cities with 4am or later.

I'm pretty sure I've gone to a special liquor store type place pretty late at night and been fine here. It also might be because I usually did that last year when living closer to the UofL campus so...

There are still many many counties in Kentucky that are still voting on being wet or dry counties. I didn't even know a dry county existed until I moved here haha

Old 02-28-2016, 06:13 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Oh no I'm awareof the streetview effect. They usually do it on the less busy days to avoid traffic and accidents. Not many cities look good on streetview, New York may by the exception.
Oh ok. Yeah St. Charles isn't really that active as far as pedestrians go. Good to know.

I like how they've preserved the look and kept some of the varying facades, that's something I can really appreciate being an artsy, creative person.
The bad thing about the Marigny and Bywater is the crime, Nulu doesn't have the problem. New Orleans crime will make you cringe if you aren't used to it. The Marigny isn't run down, you're thinking of the downriver (east) side of the Bywater, which will be served by streetcar in about another 5 years.

Such a nice building, would love to sneak in and explore and shoot in there.

Sound like alot of NO hoods as well.

That makes sense.
I did notice the tracks and immediately thought about rail service. Could even be designed as old western inspired stop designs. Being that the rail is on one side instead of in the neutral ground or the street itself.
I never realized that about Louisville, always thought it was Charleston, the south didn't have many large cities so the influence of both cities must have been more like Denver is today.

That's too bad. The fabric certainly calls for it.

That's a sad fact for me but it's great to see the effort in keeping them. It's amazing to see that the history literally floated upriver. I wasn't aware of any other American city with a significant amount of shotgun homes. Baton Rouge has some but not like New Orleans.

I was only talking about the sidewalks and new curbs. Trying that in New Orleans will get a lynch mob in your front yard. Our cracked sidewalks bubbling with tree roots are part of the history. That's why I mentioned it. Homes are beautiful.

I often think my standard of urban is unfair because New Orleans is the only truly urban city I know on an intimate level. It's the only think I can compare to. I know Houston well but Louisville historically is much much better.

Louisville reminds me of Baton Rouge as well, except our surrounding neighborhoods are in a bit worse shape and perhaps less industrial.

I'm going to have to visit soon.

Thanks for all the information Peter, been a big help. I'll buy you a beer.

Louisville is honsestly the closest cousin, in looks, feel, and architecture, to New Orleans that you will find. I would say the "party atmosphere" in NO is more similar to Miami or Vegas, but Louisville can also turn into a pretty big party scene, but mainly on Derby, festivals, and warm summer weekends. That's not to say its dead...just do not expect a jumping club scene on January Tuesday night. Not gonna happen.

I am not sure what Catholics you know, but Louisville's Catholics drink like fish. In fact, this is a huge aspect of the city's culture. Each church has "fish frys" during lent and "picnics" in the spring where it is nothing but drinking and gambling. Apparently these are fundraisers for the churches, lol.

That said, with 4 am last call, late night eats, great restaurants, history, architecture, museums, beautiful parks both on the water and outside it, bike trails, one of the only cities its size with all 7 performing arts, multiple theatres...the list goes on. You can see why Louisville has a high QOL.

Louisville probably has too many liquor stores. Here is one that is open 24/7. Many liquor stores have drive throughs

https://www.yelp.com/biz/stop-n-go-s...uor-louisville

Here is my favorite liquor store...you can drive your car inside, see what they got, and they bring the liquor into your car. Open til Midnight Saturdays

https://www.yelp.com/biz/bourbon-and-belles-louisville

Here is another late one, near the burgeoning Germantown and Audubon Park neighborhoods

https://www.yelp.com/biz/liquor-worl...ores+open+late

So, late night liquor is not a problem. You just need to know which ones close at 10 and which are the late night spots. And they do not close Sunday either like some states (ie Indiana)

Old 02-28-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Catholic cities are usually looser on alcohol than Baptist and Protestant from what I've noticed. Most of the South is Baptist and Protestant. Think about the most "Catholic" places in the country. NYC is heavily Italian. Chicago is heavily Italian and Irish. NoLa is known for being Catholic. Miami and the west coast are heavily Latino. A lot of the river cities have Catholic heritage. Cincinnati, Louisville, STL, etc. Louisville itself is a very very "wet" place lol. Bars open till 4am. I think stores stop selling at a certain time, but I can't remember when. On Sunday, you can purchase after 12 noon, but besides that, I don't think there are any other restrictions. Not many other cities around that have such late last calls. According to Wikipedia, Albany, parts of Atlanta, Buffalo, Chicago, Louisville, Miami, NoLa, NYC, and Shreveport are the only major cities with 4am or later.

I'm pretty sure I've gone to a special liquor store type place pretty late at night and been fine here. It also might be because I usually did that last year when living closer to the UofL campus so...

There are still many many counties in Kentucky that are still voting on being wet or dry counties. I didn't even know a dry county existed until I moved here haha
I didn't word that correctly.
I didn't know about dry counties either.
Quote:
Louisville is honsestly the closest cousin, in looks, feel, and architecture, to New Orleans that you will find. I would say the "party atmosphere" in NO is more similar to Miami or Vegas, but Louisville can also turn into a pretty big party scene, but mainly on Derby, festivals, and warm summer weekends. That's not to say its dead...just do not expect a jumping club scene on January Tuesday night. Not gonna happen.

I am not sure what Catholics you know, but Louisville's Catholics drink like fish. In fact, this is a huge aspect of the city's culture. Each church has "fish frys" during lent and "picnics" in the spring where it is nothing but drinking and gambling. Apparently these are fundraisers for the churches, lol.

That said, with 4 am last call, late night eats, great restaurants, history, architecture, museums, beautiful parks both on the water and outside it, bike trails, one of the only cities its size with all 7 performing arts, multiple theatres...the list goes on. You can see why Louisville has a high QOL.

Louisville probably has too many liquor stores. Here is one that is open 24/7. Many liquor stores have drive throughs

https://www.yelp.com/biz/stop-n-go-s...uor-louisville

Here is my favorite liquor store...you can drive your car inside, see what they got, and they bring the liquor into your car. Open til Midnight Saturdays

https://www.yelp.com/biz/bourbon-and-belles-louisville

Here is another late one, near the burgeoning Germantown and Audubon Park neighborhoods

https://www.yelp.com/biz/liquor-worl...ores+open+late

So, late night liquor is not a problem. You just need to know which ones close at 10 and which are the late night spots. And they do not close Sunday either like some states (ie Indiana)
Is that so? I haven't seen any American city that looks like New Orleans, the only areas where I felt NO was in the Caribbean. Even Louisville's shotguns seem to be more Victorian. But I'm no expert on architecture.

Yeah I guess I didn't word that right about Catholics.

We don't have liquor stores so that's still gonna take some time. We normally go to the nearest store.
That drive-thru is nice!

Old 02-28-2016, 02:00 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Louisville's pre WW1 urban core most closely resembles Richmond VA and St Louis MO. It is quite different from New England and Great Lakes cities and pretty similar to Charleston and NOLA. Despite only being 100 miles away Louisville and Cincinnati have quite different architecture and layout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area