Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:05 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Hmmmm, I find it interesting that you say you have lived here for 5 years in this thread but in another thread said this:I have to say that the assertion of the original writer is very correct. I've lived in the Southern Indiana and Louisville area for about 30 years of my life. Why is that?
Because he is lying like many people do on here. I have said it once and will say it again, if you sign up to city data and your first 20 posts bash a city, you look very suspicious in your motives. All opinions are welcome but phony representation of oneself is not.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 33,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelsmiley75 View Post
I would stay away from Kentucky as a state overall especially if you're from a more progressive and educated area. Not to say that all Kentuckians are backwards and hilljacks. There are some really nice people here but I will say that you will also very much find it hard to make friends here because its more important to what church you belong or what school you attended.

If you're from a more professional upbringing you might want to consider going to Chicago, Indianapolis, Atlanta, Charlotte, Cincinnati, or somewhere else in this region to pursue career and educational opportunities.

When coming here, you might take the whole phrase Southern hospitality with a grain of salt. Its more reserved for people in Alabama, Mississippi, and more southern states which Kentucky is a borderline state. I've lived here for about 5 years having lived further north and I just don't feel the positive vibe here especially getting to know people. A lot of people tend to be distant friends at best and I've even had a couple of close friends lose friends just because they didn't know the right social group. So you might consider doing something else. Just my opinion

What's a hilljack?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 13,183 times
I am new to the forums so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am a 21 year old college girl that is moving to Louisville in June to finish up my medical training. I just wondered if anyone could give me advice on where to live. I am going to be near the Spencerian college for training, so a place within 15 or 20 minutes of that area is where I would like to be. I am not married and def. no kids. I am on a college budget so I was hoping to find something around 350 without utilities or maybe 400 with utilities. I'm not real picky on the details, as long as it's a safe area I will be happy. Amenities not really picky there either, probably the most important is a laundry area nearby if the apartment complex doesn't have them on the property. Also, any road areas to avoid would be really handy.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvtgal1547 View Post
I am new to the forums so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am a 21 year old college girl that is moving to Louisville in June to finish up my medical training. I just wondered if anyone could give me advice on where to live. I am going to be near the Spencerian college for training, so a place within 15 or 20 minutes of that area is where I would like to be. I am not married and def. no kids. I am on a college budget so I was hoping to find something around 350 without utilities or maybe 400 with utilities. I'm not real picky on the details, as long as it's a safe area I will be happy. Amenities not really picky there either, probably the most important is a laundry area nearby if the apartment complex doesn't have them on the property. Also, any road areas to avoid would be really handy.
sorry, just saw this. try the highlands, crescent hill, or old louisville. search my posts to read about these areas.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:58 PM

11 posts, read 53,918 times
Hi, I'm moving to Louisville in June to work at the VA hospital. I want to live in a safe place but as close to work as possible; I hate driving and need a quick commute. I'm looking for an apartment or condo to rent; I'm looking to pay between $600 and $900 for rent.

I'm in my 20's, I like being a multicultural environment, and usually spend my spare time volunteering & going to plays.

How is the area near the VA hospital; the VA is located on Zorn Ave. Is this near the Crescent Hills or Highlands? I've been told to consider Brownboro area, Clifton, Crescent Hills, and Highlands?

What's your advice. Thanks for your time and help!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyRead View Post
Hi, I'm moving to Louisville in June to work at the VA hospital. I want to live in a safe place but as close to work as possible; I hate driving and need a quick commute. I'm looking for an apartment or condo to rent; I'm looking to pay between $600 and $900 for rent.

I'm in my 20's, I like being a multicultural environment, and usually spend my spare time volunteering & going to plays.

How is the area near the VA hospital; the VA is located on Zorn Ave. Is this near the Crescent Hills or Highlands? I've been told to consider Brownboro area, Clifton, Crescent Hills, and Highlands?

What's your advice. Thanks for your time and help!

Yes, you are on the right track! search those areas on craigslist.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:09 PM

69 posts, read 203,330 times
Thank you for putting up this "newcomers" thread.

I currently live in Michigan. I am planning on putting my house up for sale and realize that it may take a while to sell it, but I am planning on relocating to the Louisville area to be closer to my sons and grandchildren who have lived here for a number of years. I am a little familiar with the area already from visiting them (they don't call it Spaghetti Junction for nothing!!! LOL).

Once I sell my house, I will then do my job hunting in earnest. Sadly, there are two jobs right now available that would suit my needs (legal), but what can you do? I want to do this right and I don't want to just "walk away" from my house as so many here in Michigan have been forced to do. I haven't lost my job or anything, so I want to keep my credit intact. Good credit is pretty hard to come by, especially here in Michigan!

So, pray that I am actually able to sell my house. It will be difficult because there are TONS of foreclosed homes all around me and the entire area that are going for a whole lot less.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 51,153 times
Hello,
I am looking to move to Louisville in May '09.

1. I do not yet have a job. I have been applying through Monster.com and U of L's job site. I have also been checking the Louisville city HR site and will be visiting Louisville over the first weekend in May to job/apartment hunt (yes, I realize this is derby weekend). I will be staying a couple of weekdays then as well but am not yet sure if I am going to be there the Thurs/Fri before or the Mon/Tues after. I am undecided because of the possibility of KY derby-themed chaos. :-)

2. I cannot spend more than $400.00/mo + utilities and that is the high end until I have some job certainty. I would be willing to have house mates.

3. It would depend on the job. I do not like to commute and would really only do so for something particuarly good. I plan on living in the Highlands.

4. No kids

5. I already know that the Highland's is for me. :-) I have a close friend that lives there and have visited her several times.

6. I like to have basic necessities in walking/biking distance (groceries, bank, pharmacy, basic goods...). I like how the Highlands has those things plus some interesting shops and that the zoo is near. Also it's fantastic that U of L, Churchill Downs, Six Flags, the fairgrounds and the airport are all pretty much right down the hill. I love live music and the outdoors.

7. Pie :-)

I mostly want to make sure that I am not missing out on any job searching opportunities/resources and that I am not making any glaring errors. I would welcome any advice from anyone. :-D

There are 2 major categories of work for me:
1. Science - I have a B.S. in animal science and am interested in going to grad school. I have already started to contact professors at U of L. I am interested in studying wildlife populations & evolution and am seeking experience with field work (even if it is volunteer). I have spent the last 2 years in a research support capacity at Ohio State University, but not in the correct field (I have been in biomedical research).

2. Animals/Outdoor rec - I'm lumping this together. I have *tons* of equine experience, though not within the last 3 years or so. I still own a thoroughbred ex-racehorse (though he will not be coming to Louisville with me due to cost issues) and have worked both at a track (walked hots on the backside of Mountaineer Park for a summer) and at a thoroughbred farm caring for broodmares, foals, yearlings and the injured. I have done some showing locally and through IHSA and have guided trails. I am interested in classical dressage, but I love jumping and western for trail (I love trail). In regards to other outdoor rec work, I am a NOLS grad, have experience teaching skiing (beginners only) and have gone through whitewater rafting guide training at the New River Gorge in WV.

3. I also have lots of food service experience, but that is a last resort.

4. My boyfriend is coming with me. He has a years experience in residential framing, a year as a plumbers assistant and 2 years as a plumber. He was laid off in November. He also has food service experience(primarily as a cook) and telemarketing experience. He does not have a driver's license.

Sorry for the long, long message. If anyone has any job search resources, I'd love to hear them.

Amber
(tired of Ohio)

Old 04-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambergris View Post
Hello,
I am looking to move to Louisville in May '09.

1. I do not yet have a job. I have been applying through Monster.com and U of L's job site. I have also been checking the Louisville city HR site and will be visiting Louisville over the first weekend in May to job/apartment hunt (yes, I realize this is derby weekend). I will be staying a couple of weekdays then as well but am not yet sure if I am going to be there the Thurs/Fri before or the Mon/Tues after. I am undecided because of the possibility of KY derby-themed chaos. :-)

2. I cannot spend more than $400.00/mo + utilities and that is the high end until I have some job certainty. I would be willing to have house mates.

3. It would depend on the job. I do not like to commute and would really only do so for something particuarly good. I plan on living in the Highlands.

4. No kids

5. I already know that the Highland's is for me. :-) I have a close friend that lives there and have visited her several times.

6. I like to have basic necessities in walking/biking distance (groceries, bank, pharmacy, basic goods...). I like how the Highlands has those things plus some interesting shops and that the zoo is near. Also it's fantastic that U of L, Churchill Downs, Six Flags, the fairgrounds and the airport are all pretty much right down the hill. I love live music and the outdoors.

7. Pie :-)

I mostly want to make sure that I am not missing out on any job searching opportunities/resources and that I am not making any glaring errors. I would welcome any advice from anyone. :-D

There are 2 major categories of work for me:
1. Science - I have a B.S. in animal science and am interested in going to grad school. I have already started to contact professors at U of L. I am interested in studying wildlife populations & evolution and am seeking experience with field work (even if it is volunteer). I have spent the last 2 years in a research support capacity at Ohio State University, but not in the correct field (I have been in biomedical research).

2. Animals/Outdoor rec - I'm lumping this together. I have *tons* of equine experience, though not within the last 3 years or so. I still own a thoroughbred ex-racehorse (though he will not be coming to Louisville with me due to cost issues) and have worked both at a track (walked hots on the backside of Mountaineer Park for a summer) and at a thoroughbred farm caring for broodmares, foals, yearlings and the injured. I have done some showing locally and through IHSA and have guided trails. I am interested in classical dressage, but I love jumping and western for trail (I love trail). In regards to other outdoor rec work, I am a NOLS grad, have experience teaching skiing (beginners only) and have gone through whitewater rafting guide training at the New River Gorge in WV.

3. I also have lots of food service experience, but that is a last resort.

4. My boyfriend is coming with me. He has a years experience in residential framing, a year as a plumbers assistant and 2 years as a plumber. He was laid off in November. He also has food service experience(primarily as a cook) and telemarketing experience. He does not have a driver's license.

Sorry for the long, long message. If anyone has any job search resources, I'd love to hear them.

Amber
(tired of Ohio)

Welcome to Louisville! I love the city although I am leaving for a job offer I could not pass up. You will do fine in Louisville. There are plenty of good restaurants on Louisville for your bf to be a cook if he cant find work as a plumber. Try the forum (its free) at LouisvilleHotBytes.com and let them know your situation and they would be happy to help.

As for you, I think you know what you want. get on criagslist and find someone to live with on the cheap. Contact a bunch of people and meet them at Hiene bros. You will know in 10 minutes if you could live with them and may even make new friends.

Don't just search UofL. Remember Louisville has some other major universities in the metro area. Try JCC, Spalding, Bellarmine, and Indiana University Southeast as well to name a few. I will keep my eyes peeled and let me know if any other questions.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:34 AM

11 posts, read 51,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Welcome to Louisville! I love the city although I am leaving for a job offer I could not pass up. You will do fine in Louisville. There are plenty of good restaurants on Louisville for your bf to be a cook if he cant find work as a plumber. Try the forum (its free) at LouisvilleHotBytes.com and let them know your situation and they would be happy to help.

As for you, I think you know what you want. get on criagslist and find someone to live with on the cheap. Contact a bunch of people and meet them at Hiene bros. You will know in 10 minutes if you could live with them and may even make new friends.

Don't just search UofL. Remember Louisville has some other major universities in the metro area. Try JCC, Spalding, Bellarmine, and Indiana University Southeast as well to name a few. I will keep my eyes peeled and let me know if any other questions.
Thanks so much for the tips! I especially wasn't aware of the other universities. I will check out their programs and research.

I can't wait to get out of Ohio! :-)

Amber
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area