Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:50 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,987 times

Advertisements

Well I never had a chance to REALLY see Louisville and I had some questions. The city..downtown and surrounding areas, obviously was a whole lot cleaner than Ohio cities (Cleveland, Cincy, Columbus). Downtown looked very "clean" and refreshing..Cleveland has a "dirty" feel to downtown, as does Cincinnati and Columbus. I had hard time finding any bad areas. I was able to walk around and left my doors unlocked and felt okay with that.

Economically the city seemed real good. It was not depressing downtown at all. People generally walked with their heads up and seemed happy. I loved all the McCain yard signs/stickers I saw in the Ville

People were very nice, they answered questions, and were not jerks.

Now for the questions..

1.) I would like to know if Louisville has a local talk radio show, where callers can call in to discuss local and state issues, politics, etc.

2.) I tried to find Highlands and Old Louisville, everyone said those are great areas..I couldn't find it.

3.) I couldn't find where singles and young people hang out at (early 20's etc) I saw young people all over but where the heck do they live.

4.) As far as shopping, I felt that near Jefferson Mall was nice as was areas in Southern Indiana. I did not like St. Matthews area at all, that area just seemed so...weird? I don't know..that mall, and whole area seemed to be lacking a whole lot..it was sort of depressing around there, that's the only part. Here in Cleveland we have areas that are full of shopping, best buy, circuit city, etc...where are those areas at in Louisville?

5.) Any places that are in the area that can show newcomers around? Places to hang out, meet people, any groups you can join..any fitness centers in the area? This city was pretty big and seemed hard to navigate, how do newcomers get around that know no one in the area?

6.) How does Lexington compare? Cities like Akron, OH, while I don't like Akron itself, I do like the city the way it is, has that small town feel, a pretty big population, lots of shopping, bowling alleys, young people - if I'm looking for a Akron, OH type feel would Lexington be better? Louisville has a big city feel.

Last edited by Slash83; 10-31-2008 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 09:50 AM

728 posts, read 1,677,230 times
About the Highlands..if you are driving on the Watterson Expressway (I-264), get off at the Bardstown Rd exit (US 31E). You want to take Bardstown Rd north and it will take you right to the heart of the Highlands. Coincidentally, most of the 20 and 30 somethings hang out in the Highlands.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:35 PM

666 posts, read 2,538,614 times
Having lived in Cleveland, and I visit there often, yes Louisville is much cleaner and "newer". The Highlands can be a little hard to find if you are coming from downtown because a lot of the streets kind of curve and can be decieving. I'm not sure why you thought the Jefferson Mall area was a great place to shop?? Mall St. Matthews and Oxmoor and the surrounding shopping centers are where you can find pretty much anything you are looking for. Are you talking about a Mayfield Rd. type of area in Cleveland? Mayfield Rd. is pretty much exactly like Shelbyville Rd. in St. Matthews. I'm not really sure why you found that area weird? Most people like it. As far as newcomers, just ask people things, they are very friendly here, join the YMCA or Urban Active and I'm sure you can talk to the people there about Louisville, they will probably help you out a great deal. The people here are a lot more friendly then people in Cleveland, IMO, maybe its just that Southern Hospitality.

As far as Akron vs. Lexington, Akron is much more run-down and dirtier feeling, and is smaller then Lexington, but Akron is close to Cleveland, so you arent that far away from big city amenities. Lexington has a couple malls, and deffinately a lot of other shopping centers. Lexington feels like a smaller town then Akron. Lexington is not close to any other big cities except Lou and Cincy which are both at least an hour away, and Lexington doesnt offer as much to do as those. So for you I'd recommend Louisville.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:40 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,317,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
Now for the questions..

1.) I would like to know if Louisville has a local talk radio show, where callers can call in to discuss local and state issues, politics, etc. There are a variety of radio shows which do the job.

2.) I tried to find Highlands and Old Louisville, everyone said those are great areas..I couldn't find it. The Highlands is basically the area south of Broadway, then 2 blocks either side of US31E (Bardstown Rd) to I-264. Old Louisville is Floyd Street on East, South of Broadway, North of Hill and with 5th on the west side.

3.) I couldn't find where singles and young people hang out at (early 20's etc) I saw young people all over but where the heck do they live. No single area of town has a monopoly.

4.) As far as shopping, I felt that near Jefferson Mall was nice as was areas in Southern Indiana. I did not like St. Matthews area at all, that area just seemed so...weird? I don't know..that mall, and whole area seemed to be lacking a whole lot..it was sort of depressing around there, that's the only part. Here in Cleveland we have areas that are full of shopping, best buy, circuit city, etc...where are those areas at in Louisville? You won't find Cleveland type shopping in Louisville. The area between Bowling Blvd and Hurstbourne Lane has every store you mentioned.

5.) Any places that are in the area that can show newcomers around? Places to hang out, meet people, any groups you can join..any fitness centers in the area? This city was pretty big and seemed hard to navigate, how do newcomers get around that know no one in the area? Usually, through work, college, church or most any of the many clubs/restaurants found through out town

6.) How does Lexington compare? Cities like Akron, OH, while I don't like Akron itself, I do like the city the way it is, has that small town feel, a pretty big population, lots of shopping, bowling alleys, young people - if I'm looking for a Akron, OH type feel would Lexington be better? Louisville has a big city feel.
I think you are denying yourself the opportunity to learn how, according to so many people who move here, great Louisville is.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:21 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,987 times
Thanks to both of you.

Don't get me wrong, Louisville is great. It was very pretty. There is a lot of people that live in the city ,traffic was very busy, and there seemed like plenty to do. These are things you don't see in Cleveland, or anywhere in Ohio. People are leaving our state in packs and no one wants to live here. Many businesses are moving elsewhere.

It was different in Louisville though. You didn't see all the foreclosed signs everywhere (or anywhere, for that matter). People in Louisville are responsible. You could just look around and not see the crime ridden, dirty areas like you do in Ohio. These are all good things, but I am just used to driving around seeing crime, dirty areas, foreclosed homes, homeless people..this stuff is non-existant from what I saw.

As far as the meeting people thing goes, well..you wouldn't go to restaurants by yourself, and I'm already out of college. There is no doubt people in Louisville are nicer. It's because they have a reason to be happy about stuff. There is no reason to be happy in Cleveland or in Ohio. We have lost over 200,000 jobs, no one moving to our state, etc.

As far as St.Matthews goes..I don't know, that area was so weird..when I talk about shopping I'm talking about areas in Cleveland like Fairlawn (Akron). I could not find anything like that in Louisville. THe best thing I could find is in Clarksville IN or the Outer loop area, by the Jefferson Mall.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
As far as finding Old Louisville.... get off the bridge and head south of downtown on 4th street.... it will be everywhere, and its awesome! The largest collection of Victorian-era buildings anywhere in the US.
I was fortunate enough to rehab and live in a gorgeous 3 story stone house on St James in the early '80's.... I will always have fond memories of Louisville.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:35 AM

102 posts, read 324,035 times
The Okolona/Outer Loop/Jeff Mall area is NOTHING compared to the St. Matthews/Lyndon area when it comes to shopping.

Both the Oxmoor Center and Mall St. Matthews are larger and offer a lot more then Jeff Mall.

You may also want to check out the Springhurst/Westport Rd area as well, they have some good shopping options, including a fairly new mall called The Summit.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:55 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
I don't understand the "weird" thing either but I also prefer Jeff mall to the east end ones because it is just easier to get around out there.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:06 AM

666 posts, read 2,538,614 times
I've never been to Fairlawn in Akron but if you try to explain what it is I can try and point you in the direction of a place similar to it. Is it an outdoor mall? If so, The Summit at I-265 and Brownsboro Rd. is what youre looking for. Yeah, we do not have all the shopping that Cleveland has, no Nordstrom or any really upscale dept stores, unless you count Macy's or Von Maur, which is pretty upscale. Oxmoor Center definitely has more upscale shops, Coach, Sephora, Lucky Brand, Martin + Osa and a lot more.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:18 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,906,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
Thanks to both of you.

Don't get me wrong, Louisville is great. It was very pretty. There is a lot of people that live in the city ,traffic was very busy, and there seemed like plenty to do. These are things you don't see in Cleveland, or anywhere in Ohio. People are leaving our state in packs and no one wants to live here. Many businesses are moving elsewhere.

It was different in Louisville though. You didn't see all the foreclosed signs everywhere (or anywhere, for that matter). People in Louisville are responsible. You could just look around and not see the crime ridden, dirty areas like you do in Ohio. These are all good things, but I am just used to driving around seeing crime, dirty areas, foreclosed homes, homeless people..this stuff is non-existant from what I saw.

As far as the meeting people thing goes, well..you wouldn't go to restaurants by yourself, and I'm already out of college. There is no doubt people in Louisville are nicer. It's because they have a reason to be happy about stuff. There is no reason to be happy in Cleveland or in Ohio. We have lost over 200,000 jobs, no one moving to our state, etc.

As far as St.Matthews goes..I don't know, that area was so weird..when I talk about shopping I'm talking about areas in Cleveland like Fairlawn (Akron). I could not find anything like that in Louisville. THe best thing I could find is in Clarksville IN or the Outer loop area, by the Jefferson Mall.

Sorry, your facts are very far out there. Cleveland is progressing very well. And Louisville has some very dirty areas. I just got back from business there. Three weeks in both cities. I can tell you, as a planner in Cleveland, and talking to planners in Louisville, the market and construction is a lot better in Cleveland. Also, I have a feeling you did not explore Louisville like we did, you would be suprised.

Dead??? Cleveland has over 100,000 people commuting to downtown for work, a faster growing downtown population than Louisville, more development dollars going in downtown than Louisville, and we have much larger cultural ammenities that are world renowed.

I have also never heard people from city government's around the country refer to the 3 C's (Columbus, Cincinnati or Cleveland) as dead before.

BTW, the Flats East Bank, an over half billion dollar mixed use development in Cleveland just announced the approval the the high rise tower than Ernst and Young will be building. Sorry, but the pedestrian traffic in Cleveland is far greater than Louisville. I was in the city for a week examining this kind of stuff, normal stuff people do not look at. Its hard for me not to notice, its my job.

BTW, every state is suffering right now. The economy is terrible all over. I hate to see this country suffer like it is, but thats thanks to the ignorance of all of us over the years. Spending more than we could afford. And now everyone is suffering.

Kentucky is no better off than Ohio...example:

unemployment rates:
Ohio7.2
Kentucky7.1

Current Unemployment Rates for States and Historical Highs/Lows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area