Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 PM

33 posts, read 83,774 times

Advertisements

I am confused on what this lottery system in JCPS. I have gathered so far that Ballard, Norton, Male, Eastern and manual are good schools. My son will be in MS, 6th grade currently. What is a traditional school such as Male? The only bad school I have found commented on is Shawnee. I need to first find the school and then go from there. If I live in a neighborhood with a school within walking distance that does not mean that my son will go to that school? I am confused at this. What about the schools on the south side? I take it the east side has the best schools as it is the most expensive area? I have a soon to be 12 year old and 2 year old. Need a good school in good area. I am a single parent and we are moving because there are no jobs here for me in MI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 03:22 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn197399 View Post
I am confused on what this lottery system in JCPS. I have gathered so far that Ballard, Norton, Male, Eastern and manual are good schools. My son will be in MS, 6th grade currently. What is a traditional school such as Male? The only bad school I have found commented on is Shawnee. I need to first find the school and then go from there. If I live in a neighborhood with a school within walking distance that does not mean that my son will go to that school? I am confused at this. What about the schools on the south side? I take it the east side has the best schools as it is the most expensive area? I have a soon to be 12 year old and 2 year old. Need a good school in good area. I am a single parent and we are moving because there are no jobs here for me in MI.
This is a point of serious contention here. We at CD are actually one of the most visited sites on the net, and the top city relocation website. That said, with all the negaitive stuff being said about JCPS, I am thinking I ought to forward some comments towards the mayor.

To answer your question, just because you live next to a school, there is no guarantee your child will go there. The school district is divided into "clusters."

This finder will help you locate the school for a given address:

JCPS SchoolFinder

JCPS is one the nation's top 25 largest school districts and one of its most diverse. Some of the schools are among the best in the US; some are among the worst. Most the poor perfroming schools are in the West End, but there are some in the central, south, and even the east. That said, very few school districts offer a school like Manual which is historic, urban, diverse, and among the top 200 rated high schools in the US. You can also take college level courses there at Nearby UofL.

The point is, if you are a good parent, your child is motivated, then you will not have much of a problem. Just make sure your resides school is ok using that finder. You can also apply to magnet schools but it is very tough to get into. I would call JCPS for specifics. They are happy to help.

For a list of all metro area schools, google "Louisville Magazine." Call them and ask to purchase their "schools" issue. It should only be a few dollars and well worth your money as it ranks all schools by test scores.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:44 PM

I am a good parent but as all 11 year olds will contest, homework is the worst task. He has to be motivated. You sound as if you are knowledgeable and I am curious of your opinion as to what schools to stay away from, such as shawnee. I can use that school finder tool but only know of a few schools that are deemed good. What does traditional school mean. I looked into it and it seems you have to apply to schools. So that means if my son jumps into the middle of the school year then he will go to what ever school the district has room for him in?? Sounds like the new york problem of preschool here. LOL. Im sure once one gets a handle on it, it is easy.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 PM

181 posts, read 464,493 times
just wanted to jump in here a sec....I don't know anything about JCPS but as a single mom of a 12 yr old who just moved him to a different state in the middle of school year was hard on him. If you can I would advise to wait til he can start the new year with the rest of the kids . jmo hope all goes well for you !

Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
When I was younger, my family moved every few years and I found it was easier making friends if we did move in the middle of the year, especially if I went to a larger school, or when I was in high school because then people actually knew you were the new kid and they would go out of their way to make friends with you. We moved one time in the summer after i finished 8th grade and I started high school in a new place. It was harder to make friends because people didn't know I had just moved there. Just my opinion, I know it can be different for everyone.

As far as schools to stay away from I have heard Shawnee, Iroquois, Doss, Seneca, Valley, and Fairdale aren't all that great to say the least as far as high schools. I have heard terrible things about Westport Middle as far as drugs/guns/weapons, and apparently they go through principals ever 1-2 years. This is just what I've heard from friends that have either gone to these schools or what other people I know have heard.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the schools to avoid. I talked to my boy and he said that he does not mind moving in the middle of the school year with the same reason as you gave. He said it is nice when you are new and everyone is trying to be nice to you and help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area