Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times

Advertisements

It takes more than dreams - money, a REASON, incentives, money, tax breaks, money ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:53 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Mark-Tyler please tell your parents to put your helmet back on and to monitor your computer time.. after all we need to protect and watch our special friends on the internet.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:51 AM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
It takes more than dreams - money, a REASON, incentives, money, tax breaks, money ....
If people in any city don't see it before they see it, they'll never see it.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:54 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to attack you; I mean this question in all sincerity. Did you have some bad experience in Lubbock or someone from here? This is the second time you've bashed Lubbock and I don't see why.

Money: Lubbock is the SECOND BEST HOUSING MARKET in the country and you're saying there's no money? Lubbock is the 11TH BEST ECONOMY IN THE NATION. There is even one report that says we're the FOURTH BEST CITY TO INVEST YOUR MONEY, and you're trying to claim that there is no money in Lubbock!

Reasons: Lubbock has more than 30,000 college students, and more are coming every year. Texas Tech is a top tier research institute. Lubbock has the best hospitals between Dallas and Los Angeles(no that is not an opinion, several reports have said so). We have great weather all year long, with it never being too humid or too dry, 300 days of sunshine a year. And despite what the estimates say, we're growing at a good pace. I just drove in the SW part of town today, and there were at least 2,000 new homes I had never seen before, and I had only driven there a few months before!

There are plenty of reasons for Lubbock to be growing, but it's people's prejudices and stereotypes that inhibit it the most. Lubbock's not dreaming, it's preparing!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:11 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm not trying to attack you; I mean this question in all sincerity. Did you have some bad experience in Lubbock or someone from here? This is the second time you've bashed Lubbock and I don't see why.

Money: Lubbock is the SECOND BEST HOUSING MARKET in the country and you're saying there's no money? Lubbock is the 11TH BEST ECONOMY IN THE NATION. There is even one report that says we're the FOURTH BEST CITY TO INVEST YOUR MONEY, and you're trying to claim that there is no money in Lubbock!

Reasons: Lubbock has more than 30,000 college students, and more are coming every year. Texas Tech is a top tier research institute. Lubbock has the best hospitals between Dallas and Los Angeles(no that is not an opinion, several reports have said so). We have great weather all year long, with it never being too humid or too dry, 300 days of sunshine a year. And despite what the estimates say, we're growing at a good pace. I just drove in the SW part of town today, and there were at least 2,000 new homes I had never seen before, and I had only driven there a few months before!

There are plenty of reasons for Lubbock to be growing, but it's people's prejudices and stereotypes that inhibit it the most. Lubbock's not dreaming, it's preparing!
Very good post and very good points.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:52 PM

146 posts, read 520,500 times
What could lubbock do to keep all the ttu graduates to stay in lubbock?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:54 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,634 times
Well, another silly "What about Lubbock" thread, but I'll go ahead and join in. I think 2020 isn't as far off as many see it, and there will not be the "drastic" change in Lubbock some may want. I do believe however Lubbock will see steady, but moderate growth. Possibly move the outter edges of the metro about 5-7 more miles in every direction, and more in the Canyon south area. Possibly see a downtown skyline consisting of 4 or 5, 8 to 15 floor high end student housing loft like complexes. Maybe 2 corporate, or plaze type 20+ floor buildings added to the center city, and 3 or 4 more 10+ floor hotels in other areas. A freeway system moderately upgraded with possibly 1 more major artery comming in and out from Austin, or an upgrade of the San Angelo freeway into an interstate. The one major change I would say will happen by then if the industry doesn't flop is a major growth in the local airport, but not that of the size of other major Texas cities. As far as population probably a good 450K to 550K in the metro area making it comparable to the likes of maybe Des Moines, or Mobile today. That is the metro, not city alone. I also think the University will be around 45K in enrollment by that time. Anyway, that's my view at Lubbock by 2020.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:21 PM

Westeren92

BASHED? only major metro areas like the entire DFW, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Las Vegas experience growth rates like that.

Never was attacking Lubbuck. It just takes many, many, different "things" for an area to "boom" to the dreams posted hear by several - dreams are great - nothing wrong with Lubbock at all - it just takes many years for a county let alone a city to jump from 260,000 population to 500,000 to a million in say 20 years or as some have "hoped for " in 10 years growing at 2000 to 3000 per year - gee don't be so sensitive, I wasn't bashing Lubbock I'll stand by my premise it takes money,money, money FIRST !! I've been watching and observing growth and trends etc for over 40 years. geez ! Peace !!

Last edited by Mark Senior; 01-16-2009 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Westeren92

BASHED?
Never was attacking Lubbuck. It just takes many, many, different "things" for an area to "boom" to the dreams posted hear by several - dreams are great - nothing wrong with Lubbock at all - it just takes many years for a county let alone a city to jump from 260,000 population to 500,000 to a million in say 20 years or as some have "hoped for " in 10 years growing at 2000 to 3000 per year - gee don't be so sensitive, I wasn't bashing Lubbock I'll stand by my premise it takes money,money, money FIRST !! I've been watching and observing growth and trends etc for over 40 years. geez ! Peace !!
I never said Lubbock was going to be 500K-million. I said it was going to be anywhere from 200-400K
Quote:
It is very easy to take this post as you saying Lubbock has no money and no reason to grow. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:40 PM

No problem !! Very sorry! Would never say that, Lubbock certainly does have alot going for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock