Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:01 PM

33 posts, read 66,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So what area do you live in that is not subject to crime?Weslyann graduates hundreds of students each year.If the problem was that bad,the school would be closed.Read the reviews about going to school their by the students who are in enrolled.
http://http://www.studentsreview.com/GA/WC_comments.html?page=1&type=&d_school=Wesleyan%20 College (broken link)

No one has said there was not a crime problem in Macon.Just as you say crime has began to spread out that way,still does not make it a bad area infested with crime.Crime has gone down over the last 3 or three years also.
How is it sticking my head in the sand if I or none of my family have been victims of serous crime in MACON?EVER?

It sounds more like you are more scared of your own shadow.
[mod cut: rude] Let's present facts to the woman from Maryland:

THIS is what has happened in our public schools in the last month:

3 Northeast students charged with weapon possession - Living - Macon.com

No students implicated in gun found at Westside High School - Breaking News - Macon.com

Student brings gun to Howard High - Education - Macon.com

Central students released on bond - Crime & Courts - Macon.com

Oh - here's where some students ran a train on a girl. She told her mama it was rape, but then they found out she was into it:

Northeast rape charges dropped - Local & State - Macon.com

THIS is truth. NONE of this stuff is making the national news because it all involves politically protected people.

You are now free to come to your own conclusions, tbmb0315. It really wouldn't be too hard for me to make a decision if I were you - unless you like your child to be in danger.

Last edited by elnina; 07-17-2012 at 11:51 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,104,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Clinton View Post
While you may be a pro at sticking your head in the ground, let's present facts to the woman from Maryland:

THIS is what has happened in our public schools in the last month:

3 Northeast students charged with weapon possession - Living - Macon.com

No students implicated in gun found at Westside High School - Breaking News - Macon.com

Student brings gun to Howard High - Education - Macon.com

Central students released on bond - Crime & Courts - Macon.com

Oh - here's where some students ran a train on a girl. She told her mama it was rape, but then they found out she was into it:

Northeast rape charges dropped - Local & State - Macon.com

THIS is truth. NONE of this stuff is making the national news because it all involves politically protected people.

You are now free to come to your own conclusions, tbmb0315. It really wouldn't be too hard for me to make a decision if I were you - unless you like your child to be in danger.
This is laughable. Her daughter wants to attend Wesleyan College. Nobody denies stuff like that has occurred in Macon. However, Macon is a not homogeneous. There are many different neighborhoods, areas, and sides of town which happen to be nothing like each other. Seriously, what does a girl having sex in the bathroom at a HIGH SCHOOL in East Macon have to do with someone's daughter who wants to attend a COLLEGE that's more than 9 miles away in a completely different part of Macon??? Nothing bias about me, Macon's public schools are a mess. If someone said they had K-12 aged kids, I'd point that out to them as well, but bringing up some incidents at high schools when her daughter will be in college??? C'mon man. Doom & Gloom spreader.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 03-17-2012 at 03:15 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,258,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
This is laughable. Her daughter wants to attend Wesleyan College. Nobody denies stuff like that has occurred in Macon. However, Macon is a not homogeneous. There are many different neighborhoods, areas, and sides of town which happen to be nothing like each other. Seriously, what does a girl having sex in the bathroom at a HIGH SCHOOL in East Macon have to do with someone's daughter who wants to attend a COLLEGE that's more than 9 miles away in a completely different part of Macon??? Nothing bias about me, Macon's public schools are a mess. If someone said they had K-12 aged kids, I'd point that out to them as well, but bringing up some incidents at high schools when her daughter will be in college??? C'mon man. Doom & Gloom spreader.
Exactly. If she was moving from md to enroll in our horrible public schools that serve those unable to move or pay for private school these would be valid points, but by some people's thinking I shouldn't visit Atlanta, dc, or New York because crimes happen in their housing projects and schools. Wow.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmb0315 View Post
Hello,
I live in Maryland and have a daughter who was considering attending Wesleyan College in Macon, Ga next fall. She has been doing research about Macon and is now scared to death to even apply to the school because of all the grisly reports about the crime in the area and all the snobby people. I did some research and now I'm concerned for her. Although we have not toured the college, we really liked this one out of the many schools she has considered. Living in the Md, DC and Va area, we do many cultural things and my child is used to going to cafes, the movies, decent malls where we are not worried about our safety, museums, sporting events and plays etc....I would hate for her to be a prisoner at the college. Every one knows that my area has its share of problems with gangs, drugs, crime etc..however, i have spent my life living in pretty safe areas and staying away from crime ridden ones when I can help it. If anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate your time and thoughts.
Peace and blessings to us all,
Concerned Mom in Maryland
Maybe it would be best for her to go to a college near home. If she is starting scared it can certainly interfere w/ her studies and could be a costly mistake. Also, there have been many reports over the last few years that colleges are not always prone to disclose all the crime on campus. Not sure if that applied to the college you two are researching, but keep in mind, if there is alot of crime on campus....that is only the reported crimes...there are probably unreported too. I would certainly explore campuses nearer to home, can really save money and she would be at home safe at night.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Found this: This is 2 years old...maybe see if there is a more recent list.
The 100 Most Dangerous American Colleges | The Original Source for Great Online Media
Do a search, some pretty interesting stuff. Here is one that allows you to search by state and also by college name and get the real scoop http://www.american-school-search.com/colleges.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,104,631 times
Quote:
mod cut: this post has been deleted
I've mentioned that Macon has some very bad neighborhoods in certain areas and that the Public schools are horrible, how am I a "Macon Lover?" Wesleyan just happens to be in one of the good areas.
I'm a Macon realist, and the REALITY is that there is no monolithic "environment" in Macon. It's a big difference to live over near Wesleyan and Northside Dr, Bass Rd, Forest Hill Rd, Zebulon Rd than it is to live off Broadway or 2nd Street. I guess all those areas are one big "environment" that looks the same with the same type of neighborhoods, stores and residents though right? Just Nonsense.

You're saying the behavior of high school students that mostly live and hang out 5-10 miles away in a completely different part of Macon is somehow going to make "environmental influences" on a College student at Wesleyan, but my comments are the ones with flawed feelings??? Hilarious.

Last edited by elnina; 07-17-2012 at 11:56 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Quote:
Contrary to what a few of these people have written, ALL areas of Macon are subject to crime. The crime IS starting to spread out to that area, and denying it is only proof that some stick their heads in the sand.

There are a LOT better schools all over America to go to. Read the stats on Macon on THIS site.
That may be the case, but my family has lived right by Wesleyan college for the last 10 years (off of Wesleyan Woods rd) and they have never had any crime issues.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Mind telling us all these new crime hot spots in North Macon, since "thugs" are moving there now??? I'd love to read this disinformation lol. How many "gangsters" have you saw roaming out on Bass Rd or Wesleyan? You're funny man.
Seriously I don't think I've EVER even seen a shady looking person or vehicle in this area.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
This post has been deleted
I'm not a Macon lover.

I moved to Atlanta years ago because I found Macon way too boring.

However my Dad and brother still live in Macon (right by Wesleyan college) and they have zero issues of any kind with crime in that area.

Last edited by elnina; 07-18-2012 at 12:01 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM

33 posts, read 66,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
That may be the case, but my family has lived right by Wesleyan college for the last 10 years (off of Wesleyan Woods rd) and they have never had any crime issues.
Northside Dr.. Zebulon Rd.. All over-driven with thugs right now. [mod cut: rude ]

Last edited by elnina; 07-18-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon