Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
TO midgeorgiaman and MadDogTheArtist, I was only trying to help, whether you agree or not to my response doesn't make my opinion, or response any more, or less important than your reponses. He doesn't have to read the URL if he doesn't want. I've been to Macon, Georgia, and I don't think it's a nice area at all in my opinion. Why is my opinion not valid if it's something you don't want to hear? It's a valid link with valid content that I have no affiliation with that website at all. MadDogTheArtist I have been to Macon, Georgia. middlegeorgiaman you have NO RIGHT, NONE at all what so ever to say my response is not realistic because I gave some reading information in my answer in the form of an URL.
I absolutely have the right to call the website garbage and unrealistic. 1. All of the cities rated high on the list are wealthy towns just outside a major city and the bad ones are in lower cost of living areas. 2. I actually listened to the interview of the developer of road snacks who admitted he had never been to Macon and said he just ran numbers in a formula HE created--not based on any kind of actual research. That is called clickbait. He is selling advertising space based on the number of clicks... fake news if you will or news based on one person. 3. The data used was pre-consolidation based on the old city limits which only encompassed the areas urbanized by 1960 so the past 56 years of development isn't reflected in the numbers. If the same data was run today...it wouldn't be the same. 4. The OP asked about north Macon...see number 3. Your website's numbers are not based on the OP's question. 5. This website is about sharing ideas. I never attacked you personally, just pointed out that your response did not address the OP's question and in my opinion the site is garbage based on self-selected criteria by an author whose agenda was about making money and who had never been here.

You are free to dislike Macon. I love it and chose to live here after having lived in various other places.

Back to what the OP cares about

Good day!

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 01-13-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 11:51 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
In response to the OP, Macon is open to transplants. With the nearby air force base, Geico regional headquarters, 3 universities, a medical hub, etc., you would not be the only newbie in town. Now Macon is not a huge city so there is some my daddy knew your daddy stuff, but it isn't a hindrance. I have been here 13 years and have done very well here and am not a native. I think it is about perspective. People who move here looking for what they had back in xxxxxx are generally disappointed. Those who embrace the culture already here and then move forward from there are generally pleased with Macon.

As far as living here. There seem to be 2 camps. The suburban camp who do all of the traditional American suburban things: chain restaurants, youth sports, church, new subdivisions, etc like the rest of America. If that's your thing...no problem. Then we have the intown progressives who have worked to reinvent downtown and the historic areas. It is not Savannah or Charleston, but there are some nice independent restaurants, arts, theater, and other cultural offerings that are thriving. It has been an amazing transformation over the past decade. Still a ways to go, but I generally go downtown for dining and entertainment these days.

Schools--the elephant in the room. Macon schools have a ways to go. Many are just unacceptable. The north Macon schools are the best with some good elementary options and their high school now scores above the state average. Many Macon families choose private school partly because of this and partly out of tradition. If you want more info on schools, ask. Recreation: mixed. If you are outdoorsy...all set with hunting, fishing, rivers, lakes, etc. If you are more of a structured recreation type such as swimming, martial arts, yoga, laser tag, etc---we have some but we are lacking many choices in some of those areas. People looking for a variety of structured recreation are often disappointed. We are close enough to Atlanta for big city amenities to do a day trip. The Atlanta airport is just over an hour away from a nonstop flight anywhere. Beaches and mountains are an easy weekend trip. Orlando is 5 hours for Disney and all that entails. Winters are mild. 57 is the average January high (76 today). Summers are long and can be brutal. Overall cost of living is low. Any other questions, just ask.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:45 AM

148 posts, read 149,741 times
I've lived in Macon 14 years now and Love it here. Macon is so beautiful. We have so many historical buildings. There are several museums. Macon has several theaters to go watch a Broadway show, several concert venues. To name a few The Big House, hay house, , cannonball house, ocmulgee Indian mounds, Tubman, Ga sports hall of fame. Downtown Macon is very rich in culture and has been growing lately with every passing year. There have been lofts being developed nonstop for the past several years.
We have several kid fun events, pinstrikes just opened (bowling,laser tag, bumper cars, arcade), there's a small water park (sandy beach water park) next to lake tobosofkee. Sky zone (trampoline park), ice skating during the winter, museum of Arts and sciences.
There are several country clubs ( that are very active) of which I don't have any affiliation right now but will probably in the future. I'm starting a small business and networking is becoming more important for me.
There is a long list of fantastic locally operated restaurants.
We rarely travel to Atlanta in search of entertainment as Macon has a steady diet of events, shows, Broadway musicals, concerts to keep us happy.
Providence is a local community that is higher end and a very active community having events for residents. The Highlands is a nice neighborhood with a great pool and a pretty active group of residents ( cheaper than providence but still quality).
To list some finer restaurants you have Downtown Grill, Tic Toc, Dovetail, Backburner, Natalia's,Marco's. There is a long list of ither local restaurants that are fantastic that aren't fine dining, Parrish on cherry, rookery, ocmulgee brew pub, ingleside village pizza, Jim Shaws seafood, fish n pig, tropical flava (Caribbean), brasserie circa, the Bears den for southern cooking, kudzu seafood, pietro's... I could keep going but I'll stop
There's a great charter school called academy for classical education k-12 but there is a lottery system and a waiting list.
Shoppes at River crossing is best shopping in middle ga. Outdoor type mall.
There's a river walk on the ocmulgee river which I personally love that is being connected to Amerson park ( great play area for little kids and nice trails to hike).
The value you receive in relation to cost of living is fantastic. I had opportunity to move for work but I declined as Macon offers exactly what I want in a community.
There are about to be 2 local brew pubs open for tasty brews and Macon Beer Company is here offering tasting tours which is great.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:58 AM

We also have a local minor league hockey team.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:58 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-pla...ve-in-america/

Doesn't mean it's right, but thought you may want to read it. Like I said you have to take this with a grain of salt.
"15 Best Places to Experience American Culture"

https://www.expedia.com/explore/nort...erican-culture

That website you posted also listed Savannah as one of the worst cities to live in and people love Savannah.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:49 AM

I've been here now for 14 years. I have 2 small children. Macon has a new bowling alley/entertainment center, Sky Zone, Water Park that are all recently built. Public schools in north macon aren't terrible. One of the better schools to get in is a charter school called Academy for Classical Education...Fantastic school. There are many other parks around town...Amerson Riverpark, there's a riverwalk with bicycles for rent and playground. Coleman hill has a slide built into a hill that my kids love. Macon has many festivals throughout the year that are kid friendly. Given the amazing culture and vibe from downtown that is alive now North Macon is a great location to move.
With all the history that Macon has...it's not just a place that you "do life" but it's a location that you can learn and experience how life was once lived given its old architecture.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:19 AM

132 posts, read 144,084 times
After taking several trips and looking at homes in North Macon, I have a few more questions. Why does Carter have so much lower of a score/ratings than Springdale? Do most people do private school? Springdale has very good scores and ratings (better than Alex II), but the school itself looks much older and more run-down than Carter, and the homes in both school districts seem very nice. Is it a case of looks being deceiving? Is it worth it to look for a home only in Springdale district? My spouse and I grew up with good public schools, but we both believe that a child can do poorly in a top district or well in a poorer district, and that home/parents are a large component as well, but we don't want our children to be unsafe or dragged down academically by behavioral problems.

Is Zebulon west of 475 nice/safe? I've read of some recent crime on Zebulon and Lake Wildwood and I wasn't sure if that is just random crime seen in any suburb or indicative of nice houses is an up-and-coming area. What about the area of Jones County on the border of Macon? The schools seem good, but further away/more rural. Is that preferred to N Macon? We are not big fans of rural areas, and prefer strictly suburban neighborhoods within 30 minutes of a city, so we don't want to feel too isolated (Gwinnette/Decatur/Duluth is more in line with our preferences)

Old 03-30-2017, 10:16 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDogTheArtist View Post
... Just admit that you're a redneck bigot and you don't like Macon ....
The gift that keeps on giving. If ever there was a violation of the TOS, but I digress.
OP, I wish you well in your search. There are a few realistic and helpful members here. But as you can tell, just like Rumsfield explaining where the WMD's were at in Iraq, don't go east, west, north or south. You cannot make this up!

Old 03-30-2017, 04:55 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,037,321 times
Quote:
You can't go by what the media, people, web sites like roadsnacks.net or out dated data says
I should just walk away. That would be the smart, civil and nice thing to do. Clear as a bell I see it. Dang, it sux to be me ...
Quote:
You can't go by what the media, people, web sites like roadsnacks.net or out dated data says
Ok, I gotta ask. Does the entire media, all the people, and all the websites conspire to cast a negative light on Macon? Should we wait for a list approved by you? I found that link very interesting. I gotta stress that point ... that link was an absolute keeper. A masterpiece. To think, of all the crime ridden, poverty stricken and decaying cities out there. I mean, Holy smokes. An absolute gift. Just the fact that a formula, used identically across the board (I have to assume), using criteria that has merit (schools, income, housing, etc), places Macon in such a prestigious place ... amazing. You"re number 1! Woot woot!

Last edited by Bulldawgfan; 03-30-2017 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: puncuation. a haters gotta be accurate

Old 04-02-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afk05 View Post
After taking several trips and looking at homes in North Macon, I have a few more questions. Why does Carter have so much lower of a score/ratings than Springdale? Do most people do private school? Springdale has very good scores and ratings (better than Alex II), but the school itself looks much older and more run-down than Carter, and the homes in both school districts seem very nice. Is it a case of looks being deceiving? Is it worth it to look for a home only in Springdale district? My spouse and I grew up with good public schools, but we both believe that a child can do poorly in a top district or well in a poorer district, and that home/parents are a large component as well, but we don't want our children to be unsafe or dragged down academically by behavioral problems.

Is Zebulon west of 475 nice/safe? I've read of some recent crime on Zebulon and Lake Wildwood and I wasn't sure if that is just random crime seen in any suburb or indicative of nice houses is an up-and-coming area. What about the area of Jones County on the border of Macon? The schools seem good, but further away/more rural. Is that preferred to N Macon? We are not big fans of rural areas, and prefer strictly suburban neighborhoods within 30 minutes of a city, so we don't want to feel too isolated (Gwinnette/Decatur/Duluth is more in line with our preferences)
Many people do private school in North Macon. One school that is free that's fantastic is a charter school Academy for classical education (ACE). You have to be a resident of Bibb county. That's where my children go. Carter is not a bad school as my children went there for a few years. Springdale is better for sure but I would send my kids to Carter again. ACE also is k-12 but can be hard to get in as they have a lottery system.

In Bibb county I would try ACE first, either Springdale or Alexander II second, sunny Carter third.

I live off Zebulon rd to east of 475 and there is no steady stream of crime.. there have been a few issues but nothing recurring. I would recommend going past lake wildwood or east of 475 I have friends out that way and it is nice out there too. Zebulon area is perfect in my opinion as you're close to Zebulon and not far from Bass rd/I 75 another booming part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon