Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:42 PM

132 posts, read 144,640 times

Advertisements

We are northerners considering a job opportunity in North Macon, and we were wondering what it is like for families with small children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 PM

459 posts, read 476,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk05 View Post
We are northerners considering a job opportunity in North Macon, and we were wondering what it is like for families with small children.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/worst-pla...ve-in-america/

Doesn't mean it's right, but thought you may want to read it. Like I said you have to take this with a grain of salt.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:58 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,264,161 times
For a more realistic answer that doesn't involve clickbait (and that link focuses only on the old former city limits not the area the OP asked about)...North Macon is a very family oriented part of the region. Typical suburban neighborhood feel from modest to gated and extravagant homes. South Monroe County is nearby for a more rural feel and you are minutes from downtown and the center of the region's cultural offerings. You really have to visit though. Moving from a different part of the country to a midsized southern city is a big change. Some love it, others do not. A quick weekend trip will allow you to get a feel for the area and answer your questions.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:19 AM

Since we are looking at a job in the area, we want to know more about it first. I have seen that website link, but every city has a ghetto/urban area with a lot of crime. There are bad parts of town in Chicago, Philly, NY, Tennessee, etc. That tells me nothing about the good parts of town or what it is like to live there.

We plan to visit, I was just looking for feedback on this forum. You can visit a lot of places, but a week in a place is a lot different than living there. I came to CD to get feedback from people who live there, but I have searched the Macon forums, and there is not a lot of information about things to do, best neighborhoods or subdivisions/developments, great restaurants, good industries with job opportunities/growth, are there a decent amount of transplants or will someone from another area feel like an outsider/etc. I know Macon is only an hour from Atlanta yet is not an Atlanta suburb (I have traveled a number of times to Atlanta and am quite familiar with the city, and I have a number of friends and colleagues who have moved there over the years), but I don't know much about Macon.

So to be more specific, what is life like for locals here? I understand that North Macon is the best place to live, but do people there go to country clubs or have neighborhood developments/amenities? I see there is a lot of revitalization in Macon. Is it welcoming/warm to others moving here, or does it feel more like a place that attracts locals from more rural regions? Do you find yourselves traveling to Atlanta a lot for more things to do, or is there plenty to keep you busy in Macon? Are there areas that are better for transplants/people without family in the area to live? Best restaurants, schools, etc. How are the rec centers? Are there a lot of things to do with kids or community events throughout the year? Are there a lot of parks/theaters/outdoor events?

Thank you for any further advice

Old 01-12-2017, 10:20 AM

71 posts, read 57,966 times
Who ever ipkl07 is probably never been to Macon otherwise they would not have quoted that Website. Just visit and you will see for yourself that Macon and especially the north side is way better than old data or information from people that never even visited .

Old 01-12-2017, 10:53 AM

2,428 posts, read 2,487,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk05 View Post
Since we are looking at a job in the area, we want to know more about it first. I have seen that website link, but every city has a ghetto/urban area with a lot of crime. There are bad parts of town in Chicago, Philly, NY, Tennessee, etc. That tells me nothing about the good parts of town or what it is like to live there.

We plan to visit, I was just looking for feedback on this forum. You can visit a lot of places, but a week in a place is a lot different than living there. I came to CD to get feedback from people who live there, but I have searched the Macon forums, and there is not a lot of information about things to do, best neighborhoods or subdivisions/developments, great restaurants, good industries with job opportunities/growth, are there a decent amount of transplants or will someone from another area feel like an outsider/etc. I know Macon is only an hour from Atlanta yet is not an Atlanta suburb (I have traveled a number of times to Atlanta and am quite familiar with the city, and I have a number of friends and colleagues who have moved there over the years), but I don't know much about Macon.

So to be more specific, what is life like for locals here? I understand that North Macon is the best place to live, but do people there go to country clubs or have neighborhood developments/amenities? I see there is a lot of revitalization in Macon. Is it welcoming/warm to others moving here, or does it feel more like a place that attracts locals from more rural regions? Do you find yourselves traveling to Atlanta a lot for more things to do, or is there plenty to keep you busy in Macon? Are there areas that are better for transplants/people without family in the area to live? Best restaurants, schools, etc. How are the rec centers? Are there a lot of things to do with kids or community events throughout the year? Are there a lot of parks/theaters/outdoor events?

Thank you for any further advice

Hello Afk05,

Don't live in Macon, but have family there and visit quite often. It's a Mid Sized City with a population of around 155,000 people and a CSA population of over 400,000. The city is definitely welcoming to Outsiders. I know tons of people and have some family from other Cities around the Country that live in Macon, especially from New York and Chicago. Have also seen quite a few west Indians in the area. Hispanic, no brainer. Not to mention other Countries. In the past years I have noticed the city diversify even more, especially on the Cities North Side. Warner Robins a pretty large Suburb/Satellite City in the CSA, home of Robins AFB just south of the City, has pretty much always been diverse and welcoming to outsiders being a military town. Being a regional City I have to say it also attracts locals from more rural area's around its region like most cities do, so it's a mixed bag. One good and bad thing that often works to Macon's Advantage and dis advantage is that it's Metro Abuts the Atlanta Metro, super close. It's a nice size City itself, with decent amenities of it's own but people some times choose to go up the street which is not necessary bad for a change of scenery. I some times go down to the Macon area because they have some Good restaurants I like, that the Atlanta area doesn't have or the Food is sometimes better. Like the previous posters have stated, you will just have to visit for your self to get a better idea.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:05 PM

459 posts, read 476,715 times
TO midgeorgiaman and MadDogTheArtist, I was only trying to help, whether you agree or not to my response doesn't make my opinion, or response any more, or less important than your reponses. He doesn't have to read the URL if he doesn't want. I've been to Macon, Georgia, and I don't think it's a nice area at all in my opinion. Why is my opinion not valid if it's something you don't want to hear? It's a valid link with valid content that I have no affiliation with that website at all. MadDogTheArtist I have been to Macon, Georgia. middlegeorgiaman you have NO RIGHT, NONE at all what so ever to say my response is not realistic because I gave some reading information in my answer in the form of an URL.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:55 AM

71 posts, read 57,966 times
road-snacks-.net... Road snacks dot net
Who would rely on an opinion column from a site called road snacks dot net. Ok if you've visited Macon but don't think it's a nice area at all; hmm I'm just wondering did you only see Houston Ave or Mumford rd. or just the Bibb county detention center. Not picking on you or those streets but you must have only visited a small area or jail to say an entire city is not nice. Just admit that you're a redneck bigot and you don't like Macon because descendants of slaves are everywhere.

Now with that out the way:
For a visiting potential new Macon resident I would suggest starting your tour downtown to get a feel for the city from it's roots. Ride north on either Riverside or Vineville, visit Ingleside village. Tour some subdivisions. Riverside goes from Central city park to Bass Rd. approximately 10 miles. Bass Rd. to Zebulon Rd. Ride the great west side tour Lake Tobesofkee and surrounding subdivisions. North Macon is a very large area that is everything between the river and 475 but north of Bellview and south of the Monroe county line. However for Jones county some call River North and surrounding areas a part of north Macon. You will find amazing places to live on all sides of town. The sub south is becoming the hot spot for central Ga. take a look not my opinion then you will know for yourself that Macon will wow you. Macon get a lot of bad press from outsiders, the news report nearly 100% of the bad but nearly 10% of the good. Example: I was at an event with over 2 thousand teens. No incident no news but if a single person had been pushed it would have been on the news saying a child was assaulted last night in Macon robbery was the motive as a mob of teens took over the area. You can't go by what the media, people, web sites like roadsnacks.net or out dated data says about any city; you just got to experience it for yourself. Example: Chicago 765 murders in 1 year, do you think thats going to stop people from visiting in the millions...No. New Orleans dubbed the murder capital; Has the party ever stopped...No Macon has a crime problem in the hoods. I'm a black man that live in Village Green one of those hoods that you probably would never visit even if you lived in Macon for 30 years just the same as the others. Macon is just too big to stereotype or put the whole thing in one hand and say hey don't go there that place is bad. There's plenty of good all over it too.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:15 AM

2,428 posts, read 2,487,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDogTheArtist View Post
road-snacks-.net... Road snacks dot net
Who would rely on an opinion column from a site called road snacks dot net. Ok if you've visited Macon but don't think it's a nice area at all; hmm I'm just wondering did you only see Houston Ave or Mumford rd. or just the Bibb county detention center. Not picking on you or those streets but you must have only visited a small area or jail to say an entire city is not nice. Just admit that you're a redneck bigot and you don't like Macon because descendants of slaves are everywhere.

Now with that out the way:
For a visiting potential new Macon resident I would suggest starting your tour downtown to get a feel for the city from it's roots. Ride north on either Riverside or Vineville, visit Ingleside village. Tour some subdivisions. Riverside goes from Central city park to Bass Rd. approximately 10 miles. Bass Rd. to Zebulon Rd. Ride the great west side tour Lake Tobesofkee and surrounding subdivisions. North Macon is a very large area that is everything between the river and 475 but north of Bellview and south of the Monroe county line. However for Jones county some call River North and surrounding areas a part of north Macon. You will find amazing places to live on all sides of town. The sub south is becoming the hot spot for central Ga. take a look not my opinion then you will know for yourself that Macon will wow you. Macon get a lot of bad press from outsiders, the news report nearly 100% of the bad but nearly 10% of the good. Example: I was at an event with over 2 thousand teens. No incident no news but if a single person had been pushed it would have been on the news saying a child was assaulted last night in Macon robbery was the motive as a mob of teens took over the area. You can't go by what the media, people, web sites like roadsnacks.net or out dated data says about any city; you just got to experience it for yourself. Example: Chicago 765 murders in 1 year, do you think thats going to stop people from visiting in the millions...No. New Orleans dubbed the murder capital; Has the party ever stopped...No Macon has a crime problem in the hoods. I'm a black man that live in Village Green one of those hoods that you probably would never visit even if you lived in Macon for 30 years just the same as the others. Macon is just too big to stereotype or put the whole thing in one hand and say hey don't go there that place is bad. There's plenty of good all over it too.
Very True and Agreed Macon is like any other City, True it has it's Slums, especially on the South Side/old City limits and some areas of the West and East Side Districts of Town, but that's a small area for how large the City really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon