Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 05:19 PM

148 posts, read 150,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I should just walk away. That would be the smart, civil and nice thing to do. Clear as a bell I see it. Dang, it sux to be me ...

Ok, I gotta ask. Does the entire media, all the people, and all the websites conspire to cast a negative light on Macon? Should we wait for a list approved by you? I found that link very interesting. I gotta stress that point ... that link was an absolute keeper. A masterpiece. To think, of all the crime ridden, poverty stricken and decaying cities out there. I mean, Holy smokes. An absolute gift. Just the fact that a formula, used identically across the board (I have to assume), using criteria that has merit (schools, income, housing, etc), places Macon in such a prestigious place ... amazing. You"re number 1! Woot woot!
The truth of the matter here is that the data from this article doesn't encompass the entirety of Macon. What I mean is that this data was pre-consolidation. There were so many good parts of Macon that were not within the city limits as the city grew. The crime data was not accurately reflecting Macon. Zebulon rd, Tom Hill, Wesleyan rd... we're not part of Macon but it is Macon.... People can We are now consolidated. Also to bring this up to date Macon/Bibb had a sizable decrease in crime.
Also the data from this site is using data from 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 03:59 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,041,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maconfinance View Post
The truth of the matter here is that the data from this article doesn't encompass the entirety of Macon. What I mean is that this data was pre-consolidation. There were so many good parts of Macon that were not within the city limits as the city grew. The crime data was not accurately reflecting Macon. Zebulon rd, Tom Hill, Wesleyan rd... we're not part of Macon but it is Macon.... People can We are now consolidated. Also to bring this up to date Macon/Bibb had a sizable decrease in crime.
Also the data from this site is using data from 2010.
Of course the data is skewed. Something has to be amiss. I blame it on the world wide conspiracy to knock down Macon. The media. The people. The web. We are all in on it.

In all seriousness, though, consolidation did encompass a good deal of the better parts of Macon. That will, in fact lower ratios/percentages in the crime data, whenever they get around to counting again. Great news.
But you have to understand this ... just because we pushed some lines further away from each other, well, it does not erase the high crime instances from the old borders. The murders, rapes, robberies ... those have been traditionally high numbers inside the old borders of Macon. Over the last 13 years or so there has been an average of about 18 murders in Macon per year. Enlarging the area will not make those numbers go down. When the pie has a rotten apple inside, cutting it into smaller pieces does not mean the rotten parts disappear.
And as long as you warn potential visitors not to go east, west, north or south (I did not make that up, I read it here ... first!) they should be able to avoid the not so great areas. And everyone seems to push the gated communities. I think that is great advice. A no brainer. If you are going to be near crime, heck ya ... isolate your self when you can. Go enjoy the new arcade bar. But when you leave, hide.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Of course the data is skewed. Something has to be amiss. I blame it on the world wide conspiracy to knock down Macon. The media. The people. The web. We are all in on it.

In all seriousness, though, consolidation did encompass a good deal of the better parts of Macon. That will, in fact lower ratios/percentages in the crime data, whenever they get around to counting again. Great news.
But you have to understand this ... just because we pushed some lines further away from each other, well, it does not erase the high crime instances from the old borders. The murders, rapes, robberies ... those have been traditionally high numbers inside the old borders of Macon. Over the last 13 years or so there has been an average of about 18 murders in Macon per year. Enlarging the area will not make those numbers go down. When the pie has a rotten apple inside, cutting it into smaller pieces does not mean the rotten parts disappear.
And as long as you warn potential visitors not to go east, west, north or south (I did not make that up, I read it here ... first!) they should be able to avoid the not so great areas. And everyone seems to push the gated communities. I think that is great advice. A no brainer. If you are going to be near crime, heck ya ... isolate your self when you can. Go enjoy the new arcade bar. But when you leave, hide.
what do you consider high murder rates? compared to what? well do research yourself if you haven't already...I have...it's easy to do on google...search GBI crime data pdf...Savannah has much higher murder rates than macon, augusta is equal to macon, columbus has lower rates....so I don't see any comparable numbers to show that macon is high in murder rates. Only one out of three comparable cities in our state has lower rates.
That site compiles data by county...so including the entire county you'll see the data not supporting that Macon has high rates compared to other cities.

regarding concentration in macon...it's almost 100% concentrated in the hood. downtown macon, north macon, sub south is not dangerous

Old 04-03-2017, 10:39 PM

178 posts, read 500,076 times
Quote:

So you dislike Macon because it has several areas visitors would want to avoid? The point of your post is moot because you could say the same for most small and medium size metropolitan cities with similar demographics. Violent crime overwhelming affects low income African American neighborhoods, and even then, it's mostly those who chose to be in gangs or deal drugs.

In the south alone, Albany, Columbus, Augusta, Savannah, Montgomery, Mobile, Jackson (TN and MS), Shreveport, Baton Rouge, Little Rock, Pine Bluff, Port Arthur, Durham, Fayetteville (NC), etc all have several impoverished areas you'd want to avoid.

You'd have a point if most small to medium size southern metropolitan cities were like Johnson City, TN or Asheville, NC but most of them are more similar to Macon in terms of crime, demographics, and amount of ghettos.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
So you dislike Macon because it has several areas visitors would want to avoid?
brenty,
Do you try to be wrong just for the heck of it? The Donald Rusmfeld type quote (paraphrase) came from one in your camp. I think it was in the same post that explained how the media, the people and the web cannot be believed in regards to Macon. In that gem of a post I think you will not only find the east, west, north and south areas to avoid but you will also find the preferred route through Macon in order to only see her bright side. I think.
Surely you can see how bizarre that is. Don't listen to anyone, the media, the people and the interwebs. But listen to us. And don't go east, west, north or south. Take this route.

We are talking about people with families looking to relocate. A big event for most families. A serious one. I do not have to have a position to find what I think are flaws in most posts in this thread. I do not see myself as a hater in regards to Macon. I see myself as a realist. Even if I do lean towards the pessimist side of things I think I am one of a few realists that visit this section. If folks visit Macon and disagree with me that makes them feel better. I am just a hater that does not have a clue. All good. But if they visit Macon and think you are wrong, guess what? Their search continues and you come off as a rose colored glasses wearer who perhaps mislead them in their search.
I warned them and you mislead them.
If you are ok with that so am I.

On a lighter note, during the S.S.M.H.'s last weekly meeting we voted for a change in venue for our meetings. In a unanimous vote we changed our meeting location to the new arcade bar down by the new restaurants. If you happen to be in the area come joins us. As always your first drink is on us. Of course that drink comes with the jagged little pill called reality. Be prepared, it is a tough pill to swallow.
(Secret Society of Macon Haters)

Old 04-04-2017, 09:00 AM

178 posts, read 500,076 times
Quote:
brenty,
Do you try to be wrong just for the heck of it? The Donald Rusmfeld type quote (paraphrase) came from one in your camp. I think it was in the same post that explained how the media, the people and the web cannot be believed in regards to Macon. In that gem of a post I think you will not only find the east, west, north and south areas to avoid but you will also find the preferred route through Macon in order to only see her bright side. I think.
Surely you can see how bizarre that is. Don't listen to anyone, the media, the people and the interwebs. But listen to us. And don't go east, west, north or south. Take this route.

We are talking about people with families looking to relocate. A big event for most families. A serious one. I do not have to have a position to find what I think are flaws in most posts in this thread. I do not see myself as a hater in regards to Macon. I see myself as a realist. Even if I do lean towards the pessimist side of things I think I am one of a few realists that visit this section. If folks visit Macon and disagree with me that makes them feel better. I am just a hater that does not have a clue. All good. But if they visit Macon and think you are wrong, guess what? Their search continues and you come off as a rose colored glasses wearer who perhaps mislead them in their search.

On a lighter note, during the S.S.M.H.'s last weekly meeting we voted for a change in venue for our meetings. In a unanimous vote we changed our meeting location to the new arcade bar down by the new restaurants. If you happen to be in the area come joins us. As always your first drink is on us. Of course that drink comes with the jagged little pill called reality. Be prepared, it is a tough pill to swallow.
Are you mentally stable? This essay of a reply had nothing to do with anything I said. You clearly explained that you dislike Macon because it has several high crime, low income African American neighborhoods. My point is, so does most small and medium size southern metro areas. If seeing poor black people bother you, exactly what are you going to see in Macon that you wont see in the other Georgia 2nd tier metros, Montgomery, Mobile, Shreveport, Jackson, Little Rock, Durham, or any other place with a population of low income blacks? Considering that you think the things you named are unique to Macon, you speak as if Macon is the only decent sized city you've been to outside of your rural trailer park community.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
brenty,

When are you guys/gals meeting downtown? I would love to come meet/greet. Using your own description.. being a pessimist is different from a realist. Many times when a pessimist can't support their argument they use the realist line. I'm not intending to be insulting so please don't take it that way.
Just so you know there are 2 arcade's downtown now... reboot (which I assume you're referring to) and piedmont brewery and kitchen. Reboot is the retro arcade games.. piedmont has newer ones.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
. You clearly explained that you dislike Macon because it has several high crime, low income African American neighborhoods.
I said no such thing. Not ever. You are making that up. The fact that you think I said that clearly is all the proof I need ... my point has been made right there. You have to be watched and monitored.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconfinance View Post
When are you guys/gals meeting downtown? I would love to come meet/greet. Using your own description.. being a pessimist is different from a realist. Many times when a pessimist can't support their argument they use the realist line. I'm not intending to be insulting so please don't take it that way.
Just so you know there are 2 arcade's downtown now... reboot (which I assume you're referring to) and piedmont brewery and kitchen. Reboot is the retro arcade games.. piedmont has newer ones.
Oh, I am not insulted. Just the opposite. One of you makes stuff up as they go along and you cannot see the forest through the trees. Here is my made up part. There really is no S.S.M.H.. If there was, their president (me) still would never be in Bibb County after dark. No death wish here. Maybe during the Cherry Blossom Festival, when the police make a showing. But only then. And only maybe.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:37 PM

48 posts, read 101,838 times
Husband and I just did a Georgia road trip and stopped in Macon for a day. The impression it gave me was that it was a bit gritty (which I actually like); a post-industrial town that was in the early stages of a renaissance. Not being a local, I don't know if this is correct. We were there the weekend of the Cherry Festival, and it felt like the whole town was out downtown, ready to have fun. There were several really interesting restaurans and bars - 3 breweries, plus one biergarten. Many of the buildings were vacant, but they were so full of character...it's the kind of place I could picture a bunch of artists moving into, reclaiming empty factory space to give it that last extra push it seems to need.

As to whether it's a good place for you to move to...I think it's someplace you'd really need to see for yourself to determine that. All the facts, advice, and opinions don't mean as much as physically seeing it for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon