Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:38 PM

141 posts, read 284,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Iowa just lost to northwestern so look for Iowa to fall out of the top 25. Wisconsin lost to Sparty early on. Wisconsin also put in 4 patsy's to play before they lost to Sparty in the big ten opener. I still don't think they are better than Ohio State and I don't think they deserve the number 7 ranking the receive when they play 4 cupcakes and MN and Northwestern every year.
Please don't ever comment on college football ever again.

#7 Wisconsin beat 2 ranked teams and played 4 "patsy's" preseason

#1 Oregon beat 2 ranked teams and played 4 "patsy's" preseason

#2 Auburn beat 3 ranked teams and played 3 "patsy's" preseason and an instate OOC in UL-Monroe "patsy"

#3 TCU beat 2 ranked opponents and plays in the MWC so how many "patsy" points is that

#4 Boise State beat 2 ranked opponents and plays in the WAC so how many "patsy" points is that

See where this is headed...
College football is biased on who is good and who isn't. A lot has to do with name recognition and history. Both of which UW does not have and you consider them overrated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:41 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
Please don't ever comment on college football ever again.

#7 Wisconsin beat 2 ranked teams and played 4 "patsy's" preseason

#1 Oregon beat 2 ranked teams and played 4 "patsy's" preseason

#2 Auburn beat 3 ranked teams and played 3 "patsy's" preseason and an instate OOC in UL-Monroe "patsy"

#3 TCU beat 2 ranked opponents and plays in the MWC so how many "patsy" points is that

#4 Boise State beat 2 ranked opponents and plays in the WAC so how many "patsy" points is that

See where this is headed...
College football is biased on who is good and who isn't. A lot has to do with name recognition and history. Both of which UW does not have and you consider them overrated
Quoted for truthiness.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:45 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
Here's hoping for a freak miracle tomorrow to save the Badgers from having to get blown out in a bowl game by a decent team.

I heard this weekend (radio or TV) that UW has only played 4 teams with a winning record all season?!?

Weak

Old 11-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Here's hoping for a freak miracle tomorrow to save the Badgers from having to get blown out in a bowl game by a decent team.

I heard this weekend (radio or TV) that UW has only played 4 teams with a winning record all season?!?

Weak
If your bowl game opponent isn't in the SEC, that would be the first step to avoiding a blowout. SEC teams have been brutal to the Big Ten in bowl games for the past decade.

I'd like to see what the Badgers could do against Boise State. Both teams have very good running games.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 PM

I agree, I recall many SEC bowl match ups that were ugly. The SEC is so powerful every year it's hard for anyone else in the country to even begin to match up.

Boise State would absolutely destroy the Badgers. BSU is one team in college football I can actually root for because unlike many others (cough big 10 cough) they beg other great teams to play them, but nobody will. Away or home. Also they've been begging to get into a better conference.

BSU is doing all they can.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If your bowl game opponent isn't in the SEC, that would be the first step to avoiding a blowout. SEC teams have been brutal to the Big Ten in bowl games for the past decade.

I'd like to see what the Badgers could do against Boise State. Both teams have very good running games.
Well guess what, there's a good chance you'll get your wish. Unless Wisconsin loses tomorrow, they're headed to the Rose Bowl where they would normally face the winner of the Pac-10 conference. But since that's going to be Oregon and they're going to the BCS championship game (barring a complete flub-up against Oregon State), there's a complicated set of rules and contractual obligations that make it highly likely that a non-AQ-conference team replaces the Pac-10 team in the Rose Bowl. Those convoluted rules make Boise State the likely replacement for the Pac-10 team. AFAIK the only other team that would qualify is TCU, unless Auburn loses to South Carolina; then Auburn would be Rose Bowl-eligible and either TCU or Boise State would be in the championship game. But if Auburn wins they're facing Oregon in the championship game leaving TCU and Boise State as the remaining at-large eligible teams. Of those two, I think Boise State would get the selection because their ongoing "Cinderella story" would probably bring higher TV ratings.

At least, I think. I don't know for sure. They've made the eligibility rules so complicated that only a law school graduate could figure them out. Wait, I am a law school graduate and I still can't figure them out.

Last edited by Drover; 11-26-2010 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: clarifications

Old 11-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well guess what, there's a good chance you'll get your wish. Unless Wisconsin loses tomorrow, they're headed to the Rose Bowl where they would normally face the winner of the Pac-10 conference. But since that's going to be Oregon and they're going to the BCS championship game (barring a complete flub-up against Oregon State), there's a complicated set of rules and contractual obligations that make it highly likely that a non-AQ-conference team replaces the Pac-10 team in the Rose Bowl. Those convoluted rules make Boise State the likely replacement for the Pac-10 team. AFAIK the only other team that would qualify is TCU, unless Auburn loses to South Carolina; then they'd be eligible too. But if they win they're facing Oregon in the BCS championship game leaving TCU and Boise State as the remaining at-large eligible teams. Of those two, I think Boise State would get the selection because their ongoing "Cinderella story" would probably bring higher TV ratings.
Works for me! I'd probably watch that game.

Playing in the Rose Bowl would be a serious payday for Boise. Probably the biggest dollar amount they could get without playing in the BCS championship game. I still think it's a good matchup. Maybe the Badgers might catch them flat-footed, because they're dazzled by playing in such a storied game?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:59 AM

I agree. I'd love to see Boise vs Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.
It'd be nice to see a team like BSU in the rose bowl.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:18 PM

Thanks to Boise's loss last night, we're not going to get to see Wisconsin/Boise in a bowl this year. So far today, the Badgers are administering a thorough shellacking to Northwestern. I'm not a fan, but I am impressed!

Old 11-27-2010, 03:37 PM

Yeah, talk about a total wooops. When I typed that last night, BSU looked like they were cruising to a win over Nevada, but then they had to go and blow it. So now there's about an 80% chance Wisconsin will face TCU, about a 10% chance they face Auburn, and a 10% chance they face someone else, maybe Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison