Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 PM

87 posts, read 150,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmamaz View Post
The south is really quite segregated still.
As is the north. In the north, it started out as economic segregation while in the south it was cultural...due to economics.

Quote:
I dont think there are many blacks who embrace the redneck culture, despite the fact that there ate blacks living in the country.
So being a "redneck" isn't about being rural/country?

I'm at a loss. So what exactly is the meaning of "redneck" that everyone uses? People use it in a derogatory manner, yet I can't seem to be told what/who they are referring to. There must be some common definition for so many people to use that (derogatory) term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:15 AM

13 posts, read 27,712 times
Interesting how you don't understand why others make assumptions about you, but you take what I say about my situation and extrapolate out to a most unlikely conclusion

Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmamaz View Post
Interesting how you don't understand why others make assumptions about you,
Actually, I do.

Quote:
but you take what I say about my situation and extrapolate out to a most unlikely conclusion
I just go off of what people say/do.
I was listening to Wisconsin government union radio (PBS/NPR) yesterday and heard one of their people use the terms "hick and hayseeds". People keep stating things, but not defining them too clearly.

The OP stated she doesn't want to be near "rednecks", yet doesn't define them. So how can we give input if we don't know what she is intolerant of?
Now another set of labels, "hicks and hayseeds"? WTF?

I think the world would be a lot better if people would just drop the one word labels/slogans and tell people what they want/don't want, like/don't like, etc. It would be a lot easier to give them advice on a location they are unfamiliar with if they would just speak more simply. and honestly.

So as no one has defined this ubiquitous derrogative "redneck" yet, is it related to the above, "hick and hayseeds"?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:16 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,133,060 times
If you don't know the definitions of words, you can perform a google search, use urban dictionary or just use your own common sense as an English speaker. None of these terms are code words with hidden or confusing meanings to a native English speaker. People in this thread have been very direct and insightful and *gasp* have understood the questions, other than you (allegedly).

You weren't able to answer her questions since you couldn't understand the terms she used, so be it. Other people understood and answered her, you can bow out, no one is demanding input from you. Your insistance over people providing meanings for arbitrary words while you have the internet at your fingertips is very disingenous. Put a period on whatever issue you really have with the thread or the OP or the other posters and move on.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
If you don't know the definitions of words, you can perform a google search, use urban dictionary
What's the definition of 'bad'? I could yahoo search that, but a better example would be to follow your suggestions.
I input both in your gOOgle and urban dictionary one of the last presidential candidates, Rick Santorum. But I just did "santorum".
They are too 'savage' in the (internet) definition of that person's last name so I won't post them, but I can only hope his wife and children never do an internet search on how he was (dan) savaged.

So, see how politics, on all levels, can creep into a conversation between people? Even inane ones? Know why? Really, at the root of all this political bovine fecal matter is power...and that's economics in every culture on this planet.

So when posters start a thread on whether or not they should move to city XYZ, then insert vague labels of what they don't want, what should a boy/girl do? If they say they want to avoid the likes of a 'Santorum', I would assume they would want to avoid catholics or republicans or conservatives. But I could be wrong, so I could gOOgle search it or use the urban dictionary as you suggested.

Has the internet so obliterated honesty in conversation that we....ya know, I really have nothing else to add to that. Really....

Old 05-13-2012, 12:14 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
It would be nice to have someone from Fitchburg comment.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
It would be nice to have someone from Fitchburg comment.
I would imagine there aren't any rednecks, hicks, hillbillies, or santorums there.
I would imagine there are a lot of people like daniel keenan/dan savage types living there though. There would also be a lot og government worker, granola (car driving) types. I also imagine there would be a lot of enclaves of section eight housing that has a lot of urban youth.

There, I think I completely explained fitchburg quite well.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kchomps View Post
I would imagine there aren't any rednecks, hicks, hillbillies, or santorums there.
I would imagine there are a lot of people like daniel keenan/dan savage types living there though. There would also be a lot og government worker, granola (car driving) types. I also imagine there would be a lot of enclaves of section eight housing that has a lot of urban youth.

There, I think I completely explained fitchburg quite well.
You don't have a lot of friends do you?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
You don't have a lot of friends do you?
none in fitchburg.

..........We all moved.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:41 PM

113 posts, read 309,102 times
This guy is making the forum almost unusable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison