Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 10:17 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,189,872 times

Advertisements

Madison is a great cool city. It’s the only place I would live in WI. WI is a nice state. Good people like anywhere else in the world. The women are a 1000 times hotter and more plentiful in Minnesota. lol. And in Illinois. I was shocked at the severe obesity in WI as well. I am coming from a social perspective. I appreciate friendly warm social and receptive people. I just find WI too provincial and standoffish for my taste. I mean even the teenagers at the fast food places are not warm or friendly. Lol. God bless them, but WI is no West Virginia in the friendly souls Department. It’s the least friendliest state I’ve ever lived in. Good people nice state. Not a lot of attractive women. LOL. Just not warm and friendly enough for me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 02:39 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,373,837 times
Anyone remember cup fights in the student section at UW Camp Randall football games?

No footage on YouTube I could find.

I saw this a couple times in the late 80s I think. Hard to even explain to someone what it looked like. I think a few people got serious eye injuries or blinded and didn't they change the types of cups the stadium sold or something?

I was a little kid.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:03 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,659,605 times
The 80's were bad times for UW football and the fans amused themselves with some questionable acts. Body passing turned into dangling girls over top of the stands. Ripped out seats and passed up and out too. Cups were mild. THen the crackdown.

Old 09-27-2021, 12:53 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,373,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
The 80's were bad times for UW football and the fans amused themselves with some questionable acts. Body passing turned into dangling girls over top of the stands. Ripped out seats and passed up and out too. Cups were mild. THen the crackdown.
Could you tell any stories or elaborate on any of this?

I'd have to look up the exact late 80s game against Michigan and Bo Shembeckler, but it was like 74-10.

I remember student section chants of eff you Bo, and a two part we say...efff you.

Too bad I can't find any youtube footage of any of this stuff. I'm sure the school for one does want it out there.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:01 PM

6,762 posts, read 5,066,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
As I recall, at least one student involved in tossing bleacher part(s) over the top received punishment in the form of helping the cleanup crew after every home game for several years. He had moved out of state, so he had to fly in for each of those games.

Old 09-30-2021, 11:26 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,659,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Could you tell any stories or elaborate on any of this?

I'd have to look up the exact late 80s game against Michigan and Bo Shembeckler, but it was like 74-10.

I remember student section chants of eff you Bo, and a two part we say...efff you.

Too bad I can't find any youtube footage of any of this stuff. I'm sure the school for one does want it out there.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/buck...al-t81638.html

https://archive.jsonline.com/news/wi...64676557.html/

Old 10-07-2021, 11:27 AM

51 posts, read 72,546 times
If you are afraid of the crime in Madison, you just should never live in any city in the United States (probably should stay away from most of the suburbs too). For a city of over 250,000, there are consistently single digit murders per year.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:23 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,122,463 times
In Madison, between 2019 and 2020, shots fired incidents increased from 144 to 250; Homicides almost tripled from four to 11.
In Sun Prairie, shootings rose from seven to 16.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:44 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
In Madison, between 2019 and 2020, shots fired incidents increased from 144 to 250; Homicides almost tripled from four to 11.
In Sun Prairie, shootings rose from seven to 16.
Well of course. The covid blip has it lots of places. It was predicted in the literature without massive economic investment by the government, which did not happen. Using that anomalous period as the standard isn't reasonable, and I doubt many people would think it is.

(Well, maybe on right wing boards they would.)

Old 10-08-2021, 08:47 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,862,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It was predicted in the literature without massive economic investment by the government, which did not happen.
Interesting comments - what "literature" are you referencing? The Communist Manifesto?

According to stat's, in excess of 4 trillion dollars has been expended by federal and state gov't
to mitigate COVID challenges.

How much economic "investment" (I'll use your term) is needed to ensure Madison's shooting #'s do not increase??

You are very predictable. "Oh-Gov't created a "problem." Now let's look to Gov't to solve same "problem."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison