Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 PM

6 posts, read 15,661 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to madison in June for my job and I'm kind of starting to freak out a little bit. I'm 29 and single and haven't lived in a college town since undergrad. Many of the forum questions are from people that are married or people moving for school. Was wondering how things are for graduated singles. Are there certain hang out spots (coffee shops, bars, etc.) more geared toward my age group? I also love seeing live music and was wondering how the music scene is in madison. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 PM

Oh, and I'm a woman.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:15 AM

48 posts, read 101,994 times
Where are you moving from. That would give us a good point of reference..,

Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,399,834 times
What kind of music do you like? We get a pretty good variety.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Moving from San Diego- bigger city, more people and stuff to do but doesnt really feel like home. I'm from a small college town in Illinois and am hoping Madison will be a happy medium. I was feeling good about it until my mother planted this seed of doubt into my brain- "isn't everyone going to be much younger than you?" So, I'm just looking for a little reassurance... Should be ok if I live in Willy or Atwood, not too close to campus I'm thinking. Also, I like indie/folk music. Thank you so much for your replies.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:43 AM

27 posts, read 66,246 times
Willy street / Atwood is a fantastic neighborhood for single and 29. It's a good combination of the downtown vibe, plus the neighborhood vibe of longer term residents. My wife and I are both 27 and live off Willy St. and it's definitely what you make of it. Willy Street tends to be a mix of families and grad students (or people in that age range). Generally easy to get to shows (more small than large), downtown (an easy walk except in the middle of winter), and grocery stores (Willy Street Co-op, Jenny Street Market, plus other larger stores are a short drive away). It's definitely not a 19 year old college student area (although some undergrad students do live here, I think most choose to live downtown).

Interestingly enough, I have one sister lives in La Jolla and another in Irvine.

What time of year are you looking to move? Madison's lease schedule is odd if you're moving from another city.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Ya, running into issues with the Aug 1st/15th lease thing- that also made me feel like maybe EVERYONE there is in college because why would such a rigid lease schedule be so prevalent? I'm going to visit in May and try to find a place that will allow me to move in June. I have 3 weeks off from work in June would really like to only move once. Thanks again.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,454,429 times
Why rent? Buy a house - I'll bet the market is wide open.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 PM

I'm 220K in debt to my medical education. Not sure buying a house is the best idea but I'll look into it.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 PM

47 posts, read 167,145 times
Madison is definitely a college town...but it's not nearly as saturated with the 'collegiate' crowd as other places--a town of 220,000+ and something like 500,000 area can't be. Willy St./Atwood area is great. There's some fun little festivals in that area that have absolutely nothing/little to do with the college life that I've noticed. The same goes for the outdoors festivals, and actually many concerts that I've been to weren't just full of 19 year olds.

You have to do some searching for the 'singles' crowd, but those cities with all the single people also have lots of awful single people. But yeah, it's not like they're not here.

Go online to find apartments--the leasing thing is wierd here--but there are still plenty of places that open up throughout the year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison