Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For whom are you voting?
Eliot Cutler 1 1.92%
Paul LePage 27 51.92%
Libby Mitchell 13 25.00%
Shawn Moody 1 1.92%
Kevin Scott 0 0%
I don't know yet. 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Lesser evil is still evil.
Granted, but when faced with limited choices we have to go with what will do less harm.

Quote:
How do you mean?

The aim of business is to make a profit. That certainly should NOT be the aim of government.
Perhaps I should have said "in a more business-like fashion", where reasonable expenditures are made according to budget and based on what is *actually* available for expenses. A business can't just drag customers off the street, take whatever money they want out of the customer's pocket and give them whatever they feel like in return, whether the customer wants it or not...because the business has decided to spend X amount of dollars and it has to come from somewhere.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a 'profit' per se, but just not a huge deficit that will ultimately have to be paid by forcing the citizens to cough it up. A zero balance at the end of the year would be nice.

As I think about it more, the gov't making a profit is not necessarily a bad idea, as long as you keep in mind "of the people, by the people, FOR the people", and it is the People who are profiting rather being trapped in a stranglehold.

Quote:
Judging from the current state of the economy, I'd love it if business would be run in a "no nonsense" fashion. It would be a refreshing change.
Wouldn't it though.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:54 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revi View Post
I'm voting for Libby Mitchell. Le Page has come out strongly against the tourism industry, which is the biggest industry in the state. He thinks that there is a trade off between jobs and the environment. I think the environment is what makes the jobs happen.
Revi have you ever wondered why tourism is the biggest industry in
Maine? Between Nafta, Unions, Eviromental wackos and democrats tourism is all that is left. This is also the reason why Maine's biggest export is its people.Granted this is one person's opinion. However the business climate has been destroyed by one party rule for 30 years. This is the biggest reason I left. I love Maine and when I retire I will be back.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:01 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
Revi have you ever wondered why tourism is the biggest industry in Maine? Between Nafta, Unions, Eviromental wackos and democrats tourism is all that is left. This is also the reason why Maine's biggest export is its people. Granted this is one person's opinion. However the business climate has been destroyed by one party rule for 30 years. This is the biggest reason I left. I love Maine and when I retire I will be back.
I for one would not want to be in Maine if I had to depend on earning a living here.

The biggest industry of Maine may well be tourism. However tourism only effects a tiny portion of Maine. So what industry does the majority of Mainers rely on?

A tiny percentage rely on forestry, a few on fishing, canoe making, and service industries.

My Federal pension supports me, but none of the money I bring to Maine goes to the tourism industry.

At this point I have no idea of how to bring jobs to Maine.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I for one would not want to be in Maine if I had to depend on earning a living here.

The biggest industry of Maine may well be tourism. However tourism only effects a tiny portion of Maine. So what industry does the majority of Mainers rely on?

A tiny percentage rely on forestry, a few on fishing, canoe making, and service industries.

My Federal pension supports me, but none of the money I bring to Maine goes to the tourism industry.

At this point I have no idea of how to bring jobs to Maine.
Forest the town that you live next to (Old town was once one of the richest in ME
Due to the paper mill and the Canoe plant, The paper mill is but a skeleton that is holding onto a ver small slice of the pie. It has changed hands 4 times in the last 20 years and hasa been gutted of the machinery that once made it the great place it was. The stud mill in Costigan was dismanteled and shippled off to who knows where. This was after someone bought it and vowed to reopen it they didnt say where but not here. I moved to NC atleast here my kids might not have to move away to find a good job that dowsnt involve the phrases Welcome to junkmart or Welcome to Mickey D's

Old 10-10-2010, 09:18 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Forest the town that you live next to (Old town was once one of the richest in ME
Due to the paper mill and the Canoe plant, The paper mill is but a skeleton that is holding onto a ver small slice of the pie. It has changed hands 4 times in the last 20 years and hasa been gutted of the machinery that once made it the great place it was. The stud mill in Costigan was dismanteled and shippled off to who knows where. This was after someone bought it and vowed to reopen it they didnt say where but not here. I moved to NC atleast here my kids might not have to move away to find a good job that dowsnt involve the phrases Welcome to junkmart or Welcome to Mickey D's
True.

Folks keep focusing on tourism.

None of your poster has tourism anywhere in it.

Tourism is not an active part of this area's economy.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 AM

561 posts, read 505,810 times
Default Libby Mitchell: Failing Grade on Education

According to the Maine Department of Education (Maine Department of Education - Data Center--Student Data--High School Completion Rates) the statewide high school graduation rate has fallen from 85% to 80% on Libby Mitchell's watch.

In her home district of Kennebec County the graduation rate has fallen more severely; from 86% to 79%. The graduation rate in her home district has now fallen below the state average.

Mitchell's political website (www.libbymitchellforgovernor.com) claims, "During her time in the legislature she has been a tireless advocate for education; successfully championing legislation to improve Maine’s K-12 and higher education systems…."

If this is her idea of success, what does failure look like?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:02 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
I have no love for Mitchell, but I can't fault her, personally, for this.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Default LePage

I'll be voting for Paul LePage.

Don't be duped by what politicians SAY they will do. On November 2nd vote for the candidate who has actually accomplished something. LePage's record of accomplishment as Mayor of Waterville speaks for itself. Everyone else is just TALK.

Libby Mitchell, for example, says she'll be the "education governor." In her political ads and on her website she talks about her record of "success" in K-12 education.

According to the Department of Education Maine's high school graduation rate has fallen from 85% to 80%. In Mitchell's home district of Kennebec County the graduation rate has fallen from 86% to 79%. The dropout rate in her district is now higher than the state average! If she thinks this is success, what does failure look like?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:21 AM

Granted, she is not solely responsible for this. However, she has been in Augusta since 1974. She has been Speaker of the House and President of the Senate. She has certainly been in powerful positions to influence K-12 education in Maine. Yet, our graduation rate is falling.

How does she reconcile this with her self-claimed record of success?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:21 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,332 times
Quote:
being a lifelong North Carolinian I appreciate your optimism. North Carolina does offer many opportunities, and, yes it is more likely that your children will have better economic opportunities. They will also have the opportunity to go to a very over-crowded school, the opportunity to experience gang violence, the opportunity to experience over-crowded roads. They will also get to live in an area where illegal immigration is OK and law enforcement turns a blind eye......even when illegals break the law repeatedly. Oh and it's likely that your children will experience a lot more crime, it's a BIG problem here......especially break-ins and "home invasions" meaning they come into your home while your there, armed and ready to hurt you. (this happened in my very quiet suburban neighborhood) car jackings are common........and we hear of shootings very frequently, usually gang related and armed robberies in stores. And I should mention that it's really hot 6 or 7 months of the year, but that doesn't bother everyone and something that they not bother some people, but it bothers us.......North Carolina has been taken over by people "from away" the Charlotte area is only 1/3 native, and many that move here are so discontented, they don't like it here at all and are only staying because of the work. We have lost our Southern Culture....

Maine may not have all the job opportunites but we'll take the chance if we can get out of here! If it seems funny that I'm complaining of people moving here (NC) and then I want to move to Maine where we will be "from away" then know two things, we don't want people to follow us and we are sure to love Maine and not want to change a thing!

Last edited by chaosX5; 10-11-2010 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: sorry for the hijack, I got really peeved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine