Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:30 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
... and since we are not allowed to own guns that are good enough to put a Deer down, .
When I lived in Scotland [1987 - 1991] they were allowed to own some nice firearms.

We attended a few gun shows, then were invited to local homes where we were shown local gun collections. I bought a few rifles there too.

Maybe Scotland is different then your part of the UK.

They had no difficulty in having firearms capable to dropping deer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Does anyone remember the stick on "deer whistles" they used to sell? You stuck them on your bumper and supposedly they made a high pitched noise that only deer coud hear. The idea was that deer were irritated by the noise and would go off in the opposite direction. Do they work??? I have no clue. Are there Moose whistles on the market?? Could be a business oppurtunity here??
I have a set. My wife's mother got them for me after my little car got totaled when I hit one that bounded out onto the Interstate. They're still in the package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkill95 View Post
I used to get a lot of cars in the shop with them that hit deer so I would say they don't work.
Most people do not hit the deer the deer hit them. they stand on the side of the road in the brush and just as you get to them they jump, sometimes in front of the car sometimes in the side. Most people don't even see them until its over.
Both of the ones I've hit have been on Interstates. The last one was in the median, down low, and I couldn't see it until it ran up onto the road in front of me. I tried to avoid it but it was just too close, Clipped the hind quarter. Would have cost more to fix the car than what I paid for it in the first place.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:11 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
So... here's my very wacky idea regarding safety.

Why can't game wardens and perhaps others who tag animals for research do a little tagging with the moose population? More specifically, leave a tag that drivers can see at night. Something that is reflective - like a band around their neck, or legs. It may be quite an undertaking and I don't see why hunters couldn't help out if they were inclined or given incentive. I think it's doable. Obviously they wouldn't come close to getting the entire herd, but even if they got a fair percentage it would translate to safer nighttime driving.

I'm certain this type of service wouldn't come free and wouldn't expect it to. I would gladly pay my share for a worthy cause. Consider it a road tax. My wife drives to work for 11 p.m. 5 nights a week and has only a couple more years to go. She travels through plenty of back country along the way and I say a little prayer for her each time. I think that reflective collars on large animals could make that drive just a little more secure.
Moose aren't tagged or collared in Maine. If they were, how are you going to protect bulls from getting antlers caught up collars during rut battles? Or keep a band on their legs from getting them stuck on a tree, stump, etc? Maine has approximately 29,000 moose. How much is it going to cost to find, tranquilize and collar or tag the moose? Imagine the number of biologists it would require. That's a lot of money, a lot of man hours and a lot of people risking their health and safety on pissed off moose that aren't completely unconscious.

I think this is being over analyzed. Accidents happen. They're called accidents, not on purposes. A yearling bull nearly hit my daughter's car while she was parked. If we're being rational and realistic, there's only so much you can do.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:27 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Moose aren't tagged or collared in Maine. If they were, how are you going to protect bulls from getting antlers caught up collars during rut battles? Or keep a band on their legs from getting them stuck on a tree, stump, etc? Maine has approximately 29,000 moose. How much is it going to cost to find, tranquilize and collar or tag the moose? Imagine the number of biologists it would require. That's a lot of money, a lot of man hours and a lot of people risking their health and safety on pissed off moose that aren't completely unconscious.

I think this is being over analyzed. Accidents happen. They're called accidents, not on purposes. A yearling bull nearly hit my daughter's car while she was parked. If we're being rational and realistic, there's only so much you can do.
That reminds me of the time my Mother-in-Law was nearly mowed over by a bull moose as she went to her mailbox to get the mail. She never saw him coming and he passed within two feet of her while she was looking at the mail! We have 'em right down here in Freeport! Every summer during the height of fly season several of them will take to my inlaw's pond to get the flies off them. My FIL always runs out with a camera to take pictures.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:49 AM

428 posts, read 554,200 times
This was another tragic accident. I am very sorry for the loss of this young man. That said, I believe that it is our responsibility to manage the herd primarily for its health and well being. Permit allocation is one of the tools used to manage the herd. In my opinion, motorist safety is a separate problem. I would be opposed to manipulating permit allocation in an attempt to reduce moose-vehicle collisions. I tend to side with those that say the answer lies with motorists and not manipulating the moose population solely for our safety. We tell folks that plan to visit us that it is best to be off the roads before dark. Reduced speed, heightened awareness and use of high beams may help if travel after dark is necessary. I can only speak for myself when I say that I am more than willing to share the road with moose and accept the accompanying risk in exchange for the priveledge lof living in an area where these creatures can be found and hunted (if fortunate enough to get drawn).

Kevin

Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 AM

Now a bus carrying a soccer team.....

Bus Carrying Maine College Students Hits Moose - Portland News Story - WMTW Portland (http://www.wmtw.com/news/25190297/detail.html - broken link)

Old 09-28-2010, 12:32 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Not everything is statistical, sometimes it is just wrong place, wrong time.
The first thing a researcher might do, is attempt to determine if the frequency of moose-vehicle collisions happen is higher than simple chance would dictate.

If so, then see if there might be something about vehicles--or certain vehicles--that cause animals like deer and moose to enter the road space just as the vehicle is approaching.

I was wondering: do lumber trucks collide with moose as often as cars do? You would think they'd be more likely to hit moose because of where the trucks operate and how fast they go.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
The first thing a researcher might do, is attempt to determine if the frequency of moose-vehicle collisions happen is higher than simple chance would dictate.

If so, then see if there might be something about vehicles--or certain vehicles--that cause animals like deer and moose to enter the road space just as the vehicle is approaching.

I was wondering: do lumber trucks collide with moose as often as cars do? You would think they'd be more likely to hit moose because of where the trucks operate and how fast they go.
Yes they do! I have seen what's left of a moose that was hit by a fully loaded log truck......hamburger!
It does a good job on the front end of the truck too.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yes they do! I have seen what's left of a moose that was hit by a fully loaded log truck......hamburger!
It does a good job on the front end of the truck too.
Would you think that people driving full sized pickup trucks more likely on average to be less hurt in a collision with moose?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
This was another tragic accident. I am very sorry for the loss of this young man. That said, I believe that it is our responsibility to manage the herd primarily for its health and well being. Permit allocation is one of the tools used to manage the herd. In my opinion, motorist safety is a separate problem. I would be opposed to manipulating permit allocation in an attempt to reduce moose-vehicle collisions. I tend to side with those that say the answer lies with motorists and not manipulating the moose population solely for our safety. We tell folks that plan to visit us that it is best to be off the roads before dark. Reduced speed, heightened awareness and use of high beams may help if travel after dark is necessary. I can only speak for myself when I say that I am more than willing to share the road with moose and accept the accompanying risk in exchange for the priveledge lof living in an area where these creatures can be found and hunted (if fortunate enough to get drawn).

Kevin
I don't mind driving slow.

I like driving slow.

But the problem is other drivers get PO'd at me for going slow, even though when I see another car coming up on me from behind, I move over as far as I can to let them pass, and the SOB's sometimes still point a certain finger at me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine