Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times

Advertisements

A 22 year old young man was killed in New Limerick yesterday when his car hit a bull moose. He had two young children with him and thankfully they were not injured.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/linn...-accident.html

The first moose season starts on Monday the 27th. Good luck to the moose hunters out there. They need to be thinned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:54 AM

13,627 posts, read 10,029,608 times
But where do you draw the line?
How many, over how large an area?
Which animals come next?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
I was sort of chased out of the woods yesterday by a large, aggressive bull moose (acting like it'd charge, I wasn't going to stick around...). I wouldn't want to run into one in a car either. Deer can be bad enough, but moose are that much worse given their size. They're growing in population here too. More moose permits would be nice...moose is delicious.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
Which animals come next?
Do you live there?

Overpopulation is the issue. The deer are declining in Northern New England but moose are doing the opposite as the land turns to scrubby, poorly managed forests. The land can only support so many before it damages habitat (and then starvation/die off happens) and before its dangerous.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:42 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Which animals come next?
Deer and Moose are the biggest threat to motorists. I'd say there is your line. Hitting a fox, raccoon, or a porcupine won't damage your car enough to kill you. The entire state should be open to Moose if there is enough of a population to warrant hunting in that area. The State HAS added more hunting zones in the Western part of Maine and in coastal areas as the population of moose has spread.
It is not a question as to wheteer the deer and moose hunting seasons are necessary. They undoubtedly are for a variety of reasons. One of which is to keep the herd numbers in check. Plus they taste great!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Do you live there?

Overpopulation is the issue. The deer are declining in Northern New England but moose are doing the opposite as the land turns to scrubby, poorly managed forests. The land can only support so many before it damages habitat (and then starvation/die off happens) and before its dangerous.

No I don’t.

But if you allow culling for the sake of safety by avoiding accidents and human contact, then what comes next.
Ok I am in the UK, and really we don’t have any dangerous animals here, although I do remember a biker being charged head on by a Stag, and there are numerous accidents involving Deer. But largely accidents can be avoided, that is, if you know of these animals habits.
I suppose that comes down to education, and you can’t expect the average person to know what us forest dwellers know.
Well, it’s back to the forest management again, now that could be a good place to start.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Generally on line with the foreleg and about 1/3 of the way down between the back and the brisket for a heart/shoulder shot placement.

Quote:
How many? Depends on what Fish and Game determine need to be culled from the Moose population to maintain a healthy population.
Over how large of an area? The whole state. Numbers will vary in different regions due to Moose population numbers in those regions.

Quote:
Which animals come next?
Whichever ones are a threat to the human population and also which ones are tasty when marinated with various herbs and spics. Given of course that the animals population would support a hunt, while also maintaining a healthy and vibrant population of said game animal.

On a side note I take it you have never seen an animal that has died due to starvation caused by overpopulation? If you had, then you would know how important hunting is to maintaining an animal population that causes the least amount of suffering for the greatest number of the animals in question.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Deer and Moose are the biggest threat to motorists. I'd say there is your line. Hitting a fox, raccoon, or a porcupine won't damage your car enough to kill you. The entire state should be open to Moose if there is enough of a population to warrant hunting in that area. The State HAS added more hunting zones in the Western part of Maine and in coastal areas as the population of moose has spread.
It is not a question as to wheteer the deer and moose hunting seasons are necessary. They undoubtedly are for a variety of reasons. One of which is to keep the herd numbers in check. Plus they taste great!
Maybe I just like critters.
I find the person driving behind me to be more of a threat when I am confronted by a herd of Deer.
I have confronted a herd of Deer on foot, they run away, but I suppose I can’t comment on Moose.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
No I don’t.

But if you allow culling for the sake of safety by avoiding accidents and human contact, then what comes next.
Ok I am in the UK, and really we don’t have any dangerous animals here, although I do remember a biker being charged head on by a Stag, and there are numerous accidents involving Deer. But largely accidents can be avoided, that is, if you know of these animals habits.
I suppose that comes down to education, and you can’t expect the average person to know what us forest dwellers know.
Well, it’s back to the forest management again, now that could be a good place to start.
Thinning the herd will make humans safer and improve the health of the animals left. Walking around the woods in the winter, I often see starved deer, etc., in bad winters or in years the hunting season went poorly and few were taken.

Maine and Northern New England in general, are very different from the UK. We have few large cities, and we're still quite rural and even, in some parts, approaching a wilderness-like state. We're gaining forest not losing it. There's no shortage of wildlife here and thinning them will help the populations.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:14 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Maybe I just like critters.
I find the person driving behind me to be more of a threat when I am confronted by a herd of Deer.
I have confronted a herd of Deer on foot, they run away, but I suppose I can’t comment on Moose.

Picture a deer that is, minimum, 5 to 6 times larger than you are used to seeing and doesn't really have a single thing to be afraid of in their natural environment. Moose can either run away, stand there, or decide it is you that has to leave and they will run you off if necessary to get you to go; it all depends on the individual animal and the "mood" they are in that day which one they choose. If you have never seen a Moose or encountered one on a dark road at night, then you really have no clue about the reality of the situation and your arguments really have zero basis in fact, just supposition and personal feelings.

I like animals as well, love animals. There is nothing better than sitting on a rock along the edge of the Allagash River and watching a Moose Mother and her baby in the water 15 feet away and not even aware that you are there. There is also nothing worse that seeing those same animals knocking on deaths door because there isn't enough feed to get them by a winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine