Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
I thought we had a waiting list, someone has to die first before anyone else is admitted to the state. I've heard the list is very long.
I thought there was an exchange program to fill the slots vacated by young people leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 AM

39 posts, read 64,481 times
Lucky! I got in just before the new law was passed. I will try my hardest to learn English and be a good citizen.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It's a new law just passed today.
You now need a job and a sponsor to move into Maine.
You must prove you have a full time job and someone must vouch for your intentions.
You must be willing to assimilate into Maine culture and keep it as your primary way of life.
You will go through a three year probationary period where you must show you are willing to work as hard as Mainers, not take ANY welfare, adopt English as a primary language, and commit no crimes.
Then and only then will you join the long list of people yearning to be approved as new Mainers.
Good luck!
*gasp* Is my pre-approval still valid??

Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 PM

10 posts, read 19,316 times
I'm so glad I picked Maine, It surely sounds like a loving, welcoming state that follows the ways our forefathers wanted in our country when they fought for its freedom. GOD bless America, and especially the people from Maine.

Honestly, I may be a bit slow on the draw, but I would be ashamed to write some of the things that were written, some of you can say, I have no sence of humor, but its not funny. America is not what it was meant to be, and I should not have fought for it, I wonder what history will say about America during this time. I don't think it will be very good if its honest.

Last edited by profetarmageddon; 10-04-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 PM

846 posts, read 1,019,847 times
profetarmageddon I do believe the post was tounge in cheek fun, all these folks generally pitch in and help folk who ask honest, valid questions on this forum. They have a disdain for individuals who wish to come to their homeland and want to take, they prefer those who wish to contribute, that being said, good thing the Micmacs, Penobscots and Passamaquoddy didn't make the requirement list it would read alot different, I'm just saying......

Old 10-05-2010, 04:45 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
profetarmageddon I do believe the post was tounge in cheek fun, all these folks generally pitch in and help folk who ask honest, valid questions on this forum. They have a disdain for individuals who wish to come to their homeland and want to take, they prefer those who wish to contribute, that being said, good thing the Micmacs, Penobscots and Passamaquoddy didn't make the requirement list it would read alot different, I'm just saying......
Good thing the natives here before the currently considered native tribes (Penobscots etc) didn't make those requirement also.

Pro, best of luck to you, but you don't sound like you have a realistic plan for living in Maine. You might, and I hope so. We just see so many posts like yours where people are pursuing a fantasy and usually end up unemployed, on welfare, living under a bridge somewhere.

I'm not picking on you, but please don't come to Maine without a job in hand.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:44 AM

10 posts, read 19,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Thanks for the reply,
It dosnt seam like this should be necessary to say But I'm retired,I have an income, I'll do nothing but give. In short I moved to WV for the woods when I retired and had no insurence when my place burned down. I took what was left and came here. I originally was going to go to Maine I like it cold,but my sister, now gone, asked if I wouldnt go so far.
As far as a plan, that is what I am trying to do, create a realistic plan so I dont end up an idiot, having to live in my small travel trailer not knowing were to make my home.

Who would go anywhere without an income? Is Maine full of welfare idiots?I didn't think there was welfare any more.
I might not be quick on the draw so I dont use words like a car salesman,some people do their work with words, so they know how to use them, some people do their work with their hands and words are not what comes easy to them.

No matter what, More than anything I honestly appreciate every bodies comment, Thank you - GOD bless every one of you.That's not sarcastic, I mean it.

I guess I just picked the wrong flower.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 AM

325 posts, read 705,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profetarmageddon View Post
Thanks for the reply,
It dosnt seam like this should be necessary to say But I'm retired,I have an income, I'll do nothing but give. In short I moved to WV for the woods when I retired and had no insurence when my place burned down. I took what was left and came here. I originally was going to go to Maine I like it cold,but my sister, now gone, asked if I wouldnt go so far.
As far as a plan, that is what I am trying to do, create a realistic plan so I dont end up an idiot, having to live in my small travel trailer not knowing were to make my home.

Who would go anywhere without an income? Is Maine full of welfare idiots?I didn't think there was welfare any more.
I might not be quick on the draw so I dont use words like a car salesman,some people do their work with words, so they know how to use them, some people do their work with their hands and words are not what comes easy to them.

No matter what, More than anything I honestly appreciate every bodies comment, Thank you - GOD bless every one of you.That's not sarcastic, I mean it.

I guess I just picked the wrong flower.
I can relate, I lost everything in a arson-set fire three years ago. I came to Maine two years ago and it's been extremely tough finding a full time job. Even the part time one I had laid me off several years ago.

Maine is known as a "welfare" state; that may change depending on who gets elected Governor next month.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Seems to me we already have one welfare thread on the go; let's try and keep it that way.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 AM

78 posts, read 223,111 times
You had me going for a minute Maineah, very clever! Different posts here remind me of a town meeting I attended decades ago in a NH town that was small and comfortable. The hall was packed...there was a vote on the table to expand business and make the town more progressive (progress means different things to different people). We voted it down and the town moderator responded with "You are a big town with a small mind!" Thank you very much! Well, we didn't stop progress, but I'd like to think we are learning from these early mistakes. Maybe Maine never forgot and that is why so many of us are steering our boat in that direction.

My dad served as a Marine in WWII. He was tough on us and I resented that for a very long time but those survival skills never let me down. The result is I'm a highly educated, tough old yankee. Fortunately, never had to take but I've always had a lot to give and when I get to Maine I'll continue doing just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: