Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:46 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times

Advertisements

She started at $33K a year, raising 3 teen kids with no spousal support. She also drove a school bus to supplement that, had a car that was paid for and a $348/mo HUD mortgage. It wasn't easy, but we made it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 02:12 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times
Each municipality or school district is responsible for its own hiring of teachers. Local pay is most likely contract negotiated by the teachers union. Some districts pay better than others. But all are fairly similar with starting pay and top pay and that you get more with a ma degree ect. A school district can and will often start you at a hire step, one that is more reflective of your experience. But as far as I know if you are being hired as a full time teacher you will be part of the union and have full rights to all benefits described in their contract. If are not certified I could see where they might use you to fill a position for a year but you would probably be hired as an ed tech and not a full time teacher. Then you would be paid as an ed tech and governed by their contract

Old 07-29-2007, 05:25 PM

23 posts, read 142,332 times
not an ed tech, guys, a full time teacher. certified, state license,k-8 special ed teacher.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:59 PM

222 posts, read 529,935 times
Default Maine Teaching

Hi-
I came to Maine after teaching in Ca and Texas and I applied to two jobs and got offered both. But I only applied in two districts that I knew very well and had visited. I also applied in the area where I owned land. I never experienced any "outsider" bias. Though my salary was a few thousand less with the 100% medical coverage I actually have a better bottom line. I think if you want to teach in Maine-pick an area you love and get to know the area and the climate of the people, visit and then apply.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loges View Post
Well, this stikes close to home... I was amazed that I could obtain a teaching certificate without having passed PRAXIS tests, but in Augusta when I went to apply I found there were "emergency conditions" that warranted an immediate placement of teachers in the Greater Portland area. The Departmnt of Education said they were having such trouble keeping or hiring teachers in certain disciplines they were relaxing the rules....( see ed. tech position nonsense in Maine schools)...
Trouble came when after I was granted a k-8 special ed certificate and went to the hiring place...(unnamed): the fellow behind the desk was rude, and quite a curmundgeon if I have ever met one- he said that IF I got the job it would be for 24,600 dollars a year (paltry) that would be first offered to a local.
GEEZ
Sorry for all the confusion, but this post sure sounds like you were saying you ONLY had the tech certificate. If you are a licensed teacher, why would you have to get that? Just curious how it all works.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Trouble came when after I was granted a k-8 special ed certificate and went to the hiring place...(unnamed): the fellow behind the desk was rude, and quite a curmundgeon if I have ever met one- he said that IF I got the job it would be for 24,600 dollars a year (paltry) that would be first offered to a local.
GEEZ
what do you mean "the hiring place"? exactley where did you apply for a job?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:39 AM

23 posts, read 142,332 times
Default yea i was confusing

I was confusing. In CT, one needs a masters degree, as well as a series of testing called PRAXIS to teach. I went to Maine looking for teaching position only having finished my first year of grad school in education...I was expecting to only get an ED TECH position, thinking although Maine does not require a completed masters to teach, I had not taken any of the PRAXIS tests yet...
In augusta the dept. of ed had "emergency status" for teachers, meaning they could not fill the spots with professionals. They were increasingly turning to ED TECHS- and this was causing problems..SO, they were lowering the standards by which one could be granted a FULL TEACHING CERTIFICATE in the State of Maine, which was no different or less potent than any other teaching certificate. A teaching certificate is a teaching certificate, period. I won't disclose who did not hire me, I don't like that animosity stuff, I think he or she may have had reasons not to hire me and may be a swell person, that does not change the fact that starting teachers salaries at the time I applied for full time accredited teachers was 24,600 dollars a year, and an absolute joke.
No wonder they can't keep professionals in Maine. Who the hell would work for almost minumum wage as a teacher?? Five billion dollars allocated for each worthless nuclear submarine we continue to build after the cold war, and teachers get paid the same as someone who works the fryolator at McDonalds. Gooooood priorities.
The reason Maine schools are ranked so high, is because they are homogeneous, not because of the quality of the instruction.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 AM

"The reason Maine schools are ranked so high, is because they are homogeneous, not because of the quality of the instruction."

The fact that they are ranked so high suggests, realistically speaking, that the quality of instruction is above the standards of other schools in the nation. If your definition of "homogeneous" is "standardized, uniform, consistent," then they are supposed to be consistent with other schools, yet the kids are scoring higher on standardized tests routinely. I'm guessing that has something to do with the quality of instruction, unless, of course, the kids are learning by themselves.

So, I don't quite understand your comment.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:48 AM

I have never read where Maine schools are ranked high compared with other new england states. You cannot compare the states standardize testing IMO because each state is responsible for creating their own. But if you look at SAT scores, graduation rates, higher education rates. Ma is better, Nh is better. Maine only had 3 HS that were rated in the top 1000 schools. Cape elizibeth, Yarmouth, and bangor. I have not been impressed with Maine's educational system. What I do like is that there is way less problems in our schools compared with some other states but unfortunately that will change.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:13 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Quote:
...The reason Maine schools are ranked so high, is because they are homogeneous, not because of the quality of the instruction.
As a teacher I am entirely offended by your remark. I have not been in the schools for 5 years now, having gone into social services and recently completing another Master's. I am so shocked that a teacher would even make a statement such as this, knowing what is involved in the daily structure of the classroom and the planning and development that goes into lessons plans. That by far makes our schools far from homogeneous. Add in the personalities of students and teachers....have you ever been in a classroom in a teaching position beyond student teaching?? With an attitude such as this, it's not difficult to understand why you did not get the job. How would one EVER disguise that feeling? A teacher should never, ever underestimate his/her impact on a student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine