Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,086 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I live in Iowa, and plan on moving to Maine this spring or so. As expected, I have questions. I've done a good deal of research before now, but there are always new question, or even questions I'd like to hear a real resident reply to.

Forgive the number system for my questions... How else can I ask them without a wall-o-text, lol.

1. Which community college campus is generally considered to be the best? If it's anything like my area there are definitely good ones and not-so-good ones.

2. Is it really true the winters are better along the coast? Iowa isn't exactly without harsh winters, I just wonder how much worse they really are.

3. The bugs, is there a section of the state that has them the worst?

4. What types of music are popular with the 20-somethings? I know, broad question, but I figured I'd ask. I prefer metal, and honestly country makes me want to hang myself. Country is popular here, so I'm hoping...

6. Would my Iowa non-accent make me stand out like a sore thumb? Or does my lack of an accent mean the locals might not notice? (Iowans don't have an accent, right?)

7. What city would you recommend for a 20-something trying to get a community college degree. I'm thinking about factors like ease of finding a roommate and a job to keep me going until I graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igonortheast View Post
Greetings,

I live in Iowa, and plan on moving to Maine this spring or so. As expected, I have questions. I've done a good deal of research before now, but there are always new question, or even questions I'd like to hear a real resident reply to.

Forgive the number system for my questions... How else can I ask them without a wall-o-text, lol.

1. Which community college campus is generally considered to be the best? If it's anything like my area there are definitely good ones and not-so-good ones.

2. Is it really true the winters are better along the coast? Iowa isn't exactly without harsh winters, I just wonder how much worse they really are.
As for #1. I have no idea if there is any rating system.

#2. Islands and peninsulas may see slightly warmer temps due to warmth from the currents. However they get fog, that inland does not get.

Also to simply say 'inland' or coast is mis-leading. One area inland may be vastly different from another area inland.

Quote:
It does sound like it. From the posts here, I would say that tourist areas get bugs the worst.

Quote:
... 4. What types of music are popular with the 20-somethings? I know, broad question, but I figured I'd ask. I prefer metal, and honestly country makes me want to hang myself. Country is popular here, so I'm hoping...
One of our sons is into Weird Al and anything country. The other son is into metal and slam-poetry stuff.

Quote:
6. Would my Iowa non-accent make me stand out like a sore thumb? Or does my lack of an accent mean the locals might not notice? (Iowans don't have an accent, right?)
I have no idea. I am from California.

All you Easterners sound the same to me.

Quote:
... 7. What city would you recommend for a 20-something trying to get a community college degree. I'm thinking about factors like ease of finding a roommate and a job to keep me going until I graduate.
Why 2-year? Why not 4-year?

I like what I have seen from Unity College, and from U.M. Orono

Old 06-23-2011, 07:15 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igonortheast View Post
greetings,

i live in iowa, and plan on moving to maine this spring or so. As expected, i have questions. I've done a good deal of research before now, but there are always new question, or even questions i'd like to hear a real resident reply to.

Forgive the number system for my questions... How else can i ask them without a wall-o-text, lol.

2. Is it really true the winters are better along the coast? Iowa isn't exactly without harsh winters, i just wonder how much worse they really are.

well, if you look at a map, you will see that there are literally hundreds of miles between portland (on the se coast) and fort kent (northern, and inland), so generally speaking, yes, the winters on the coast will be somewhat milder than in other parts of the state.

hard to say, but if you are directly on the coast (and never venture into a stand of trees) a sea-breeze will often prevent bugs from bothering you too much.

4. What types of music are popular with the 20-somethings? I know, broad question, but i figured i'd ask. I prefer metal, and honestly country makes me want to hang myself. Country is popular here, so i'm hoping...

6. Would my iowa non-accent make me stand out like a sore thumb? Or does my lack of an accent mean the locals might not notice? (iowans don't have an accent, right?)

i still have traces of 'southern drawl' picked up during the years i lived in ok and tx, and no one anywhere here has commented on it.

7. What city would you recommend for a 20-something trying to get a community college degree. I'm thinking about factors like ease of finding a roommate and a job to keep me going until i graduate.
~~~z

Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
1. Eastern Maine Tech in Bangor

2. Yes

3. It doesn't go by sections. It goes by seasons.

4. There is not a lot of metal music in Maine, but maybe I don't get out enough.

6. Nobody cares about accents. We care what you do.

7. Bangor

Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 PM

90 posts, read 171,669 times
#1 University of Maine in Augusta is reasonably priced and decent
#2 Yes but it isn't violently cold or long unless you are in the western mountians or the top 1/3 of the state.
#3 If you are near water, woods or swamps in the spring untill late july then yes.
#4 Metal is there if you look for it but country is big up this way.
#6 Nobody cares just don't be a dick or arogent and you will fit in just fine.
#7 Augusta but If the city is more your thing then I would go to portland. It would be easyer to find work I'm sure.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 PM

325 posts, read 706,167 times
Dunno about Portland being a lock for finding work. I recently moved to Bangor after having given up on Portland for work and got a job almost immediately.

I would consider Bangor first.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:11 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
My apologies for the particular shade of green in my post above. It *is* somewhat hard on the eyes, as someone has pointed out. It was not supposed to be quite that color but something apparently glitched while posting- all my capital letters disappeared too (and I have a sneaky suspicion that it is unlikely that I will ever be mistaken for e e cummings).

Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times
Thanks for the explanation Zymer, I was beginning to think my vitamins had been tampered with.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
Since you are obviously 20 something, this is a long distance to come to get to Maine. Do you have a job, or some source of income? There are more people in greater Philadelphia than in the entire state of Maine. You need to line up some place to work before you come back east because you may not be able to find one when you get here---if you actually need to work. There is no guarantee that you can find something that you want to support yourself, especially if you want to live far from Portland, Augusta or Bangor.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,086 times
Thanks for the replies, it kind of looks like Bangor or Portland are places to research. I want to be near the coast, and close to Mass, so..

Honestly I'm just sort of planning on "going", I can definitely afford to stay with a cheap roommate until I find gainful employment. If I wait too long I'll end up getting stuck here forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine