Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 04:16 AM

474 posts, read 793,128 times

Advertisements

Thank you. It is beautiful,isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 06:09 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,324 times
Default nodding wake-robin...

or Trillium, by another name:

Prayer circle:

stinking Benjamin, or Trillium, by another name:

Old 04-18-2010, 07:36 AM

Very nice. What camera are you using for those macro shots? When I lived in Michigan the dark ones smelled terrible and the white did not. Is that true here too?

John

Old 04-18-2010, 09:05 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,324 times
chiles, in answer to your question about the different Trillium scents...I don't have any personal experience with white Trillium. I looked at a favorite wildflower book (Johnson, Judith B. The Heritage of Our Maine Wildflowers. Ed. Bruce E. Fowles. Rockland: Courier Of Maine Books, 1978.), and its author comments only on (what she calls "red," I call "purple") Trillium erectum. She says, "Flower smells like a wet dog."

The white Trilliums she has listed for Maine include Trillium undulatum; Trillium cernuum; and the only true white Trillium, Trillium grandiflorum, white is recorded only in Franklin County. Granted, her book was published in 1978; perhaps Trillium sp. have since moved around/ been recorded elsewhere in the state. But probably they smell the same?

The camera: Nikon Coolpix L20 - point & shoot; way better than me; I lost the manual & am not faithful about going online to read the manual on the Nikon site, so I'm not learning how to use my camera; I won't wear my glasses out & about as I should, therefore most photos are always blurry!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:37 AM

I don't think wet dogs smell that bad-the purple Trillium were awful the white was either ok or had no smell ( it was a long time ago)

Is that the Coolpix L20? I'm looking for a smaller more compact camera

Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 AM

Pictures of Kelley on the Amphitheater Trail and Cedar Swamp Mtn.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:37 AM

387 posts, read 607,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
chiles, in answer to your question about the different Trillium scents...I don't have any personal experience with white Trillium. I looked at a favorite wildflower book (Johnson, Judith B. The Heritage of Our Maine Wildflowers. Ed. Bruce E. Fowles. Rockland: Courier Of Maine Books, 1978.), and its author comments only on (what she calls "red," I call "purple") Trillium erectum. She says, "Flower smells like a wet dog."

The white Trilliums she has listed for Maine include Trillium undulatum; Trillium cernuum; and the only true white Trillium, Trillium grandiflorum, white is recorded only in Franklin County. Granted, her book was published in 1978; perhaps Trillium sp. have since moved around/ been recorded elsewhere in the state. But probably they smell the same?

The camera: Nikon Coolpix L20 - point & shoot; way better than me; I lost the manual & am not faithful about going online to read the manual on the Nikon site, so I'm not learning how to use my camera; I won't wear my glasses out & about as I should, therefore most photos are always blurry!

I have an L19. Here she is: Nikon | Imaging Products | Product Archives - Digital Compact Cameras : COOLPIX L19 . Apparently it is NEARLY the same as the L20, since the Firmware Upgrade lists that firmware for one is compatible with the other.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. It was nice here early last week, so yep, I went out to shoot some shots. Finally getting warm here in my neck of the woods. The leaves aren't out yet, but I saw some buds exploding.

One of the buds on some kind of tall plant in the backyard:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Draconiator/RSCN5447-1.jpg (broken link)

On the same plant, lower down:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/Draconiator/DSCN5444.jpg (broken link)

This one is my computer wallpaper now:

Some moss on a mountain ash:

I was sitting WAAAAY in the back of our yard, and thought this old log-chair was perfectly framed. :

And here's a shot of how nice it was. The leaves aren't out yet:

So yep! Nikon makes GOOOOD products.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:26 AM

Seems to do a good job. Thanks

Old 04-26-2010, 09:05 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default Sand beach, Acadia

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9893/barharb4181030small.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default Bangor from Brewer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine