Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
As a natural state agricultural product it should be legal by default.
I agree. Because it is definitively mood-altering, just like alcohol, the authorities can establish a level of impairment and screen vehicle drivers for safety, just like alcohol. Legal age limits can be established, just like alcohol and tobacco.

I have told many people that there are native hallucinogenic weeds that one could ingest and be a real health hazard but are uncontrolled by the law. where do you draw the line on personal choices?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 07:49 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
I get a kick out of all this hullabaloo about a natural plant when anyone can walk into any head shop and get its synthetic equivalent "Spice." A quick glance at the difference in behavior of some pot smokers and a spice smoker is pretty apparent for those of us who've seen it first-hand.

A pot smoker giggles, eats, and falls asleep - pretty much in that order. A spice smoker often acts like a paranoid schizophrenic off their meds. Still, since it's labeled "Not for human consumption" it can be sold like a pack of gum. This is exactly how we got into the mess we're in with bath salts abuse in this state.

I mean after all, "Spice" isn't a drug, it's an herbal incense.

Marijuana is a drug. Oxycodone is a drug. Both have pain relieving properties except marijuana typically has much less addictive properties. Mary J has been around a lot longer and used as far back as the days of the Medicine Man. It got a bad rap because a generation of humans turned on, tuned in, and dropped out. I wonder if it would be a leading pain reliever had this not happened?

Be that as it may, my DH (who comes from a long line of tractor-riding, earth-turning, crop-growing farmers) said that he'd like to plow up the front field and grow medicinal weed.

I told him that around these parts, we'd have to invest in barbed wire fencing and a pack of Dobermans first. At least we could write them off as a business expense.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:02 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
I read this entire thread, and I'm still wondering when I'm going to see the evidence that Section 8/welfare recipents/EBT card holders hold a disproportionate number of the MM cards.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I read this entire thread, and I'm still wondering when I'm going to see the evidence that Section 8/welfare recipents/EBT card holders hold a disproportionate number of the MM cards.
Have a nice wait. I still think more people self-medicate with dope that no one would ever even suspect would.

They just don't advertise it. Appearances dontcha know.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:57 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Because it's B.S.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Because it's B.S.
Yes it is!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,201 times
I just don't get it all the problems Maine has had with pills and everything else now they add pot to it

Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryholbrook33 View Post
I just don't get it all the problems Maine has had with pills and everything else now they add pot to it
Maybe pills would be an easier problem to address if we didn't spend so much money chasing down and prosecuting people with an ounce of weed in their pocket.

Then again, without weed we wouldn't have the thriving prison industry we have in this country now would we?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryholbrook33 View Post
Well the difference with pills is that they were originally designed for short term use

They were meant for temporary pain relief (as in long enough to get over the pain of a serious injury or surgery) and as the last measure of pain control for those who were dying. They were schedule I drugs and those were originally VERY tightly regulated. Now? Not so much. Schedule I drugs were always considered the most dangerous. Granted, the last I knew marijuana was also considered a Schedule I drug, but I think that may change as more studies are done about its possible uses.

Narcs have been proven over and over to be highly addictive, more potent, and more destructive - much more so than marijuana (IMO). Marijuana has been proven to relieve chronic pain and improve the appetite of people undergoing chemotherapy, diagnosed with HIV and those who suffer from MS, Parkinson's, or other neuromuscular diseases with far less of a detriment to the patient or society in general.

Fast-forward to today where they are prescribed for long term usage for chronic pain. Not all methadone patients are those who are hopeless drug addicts who started out with a little weed. Many of them were prescribed narcotics for chronic pain, and now want to get the heck out from under them.

One of my BFFs is a nurse practitioner. The absolute last thing she will prescribe for chronic pain is a narcotic (and only then a very short course of it until the pain clears, or there is an alternative nonnarcotic which will work well for the patient). She hasn't hesitated to boot a patient who has proven themselves to be untrustworthy and has played the ERs (or her) for a fix. There needs to be more practitioners like that IMO.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Dr.'s prescribe opiates. Opiates are addictive and debilitating. I have a bottle full of "pills" I rarely take as they make it hard for me to function. I also found out that they contribute to Urinary retention, which causes U.T.I.'s. In my situation, U.T.I.'s can be a much more serious issue than any side effects from M.M.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine