Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 AM

565 posts, read 935,576 times

Advertisements

I read the TOS multiple times, i'm not really trying to debate the effectiveness of marijuana as a medicine. I guess people could try to put their fingers in their ears and yell and pretend not to hear about this topic. But everyone voted for this.... multiple times. Curious what all the locals think; how is it effecting your town and community? Do you think it has potential to bring revenue, business and people to the state, or would you rather not have people at all if they are medical marijuana patients and caregivers??

I'm a bit biased on the whole subject because I am a patient and trying to become a caregiver. I was able to use marijuana to stop taking opiate and other narcotic pharmaceuticals. I haven't taken any rx's in over 2 years now and I was talking 4 different rx's, 3-4 times a day before that for almost 5 years. I did physical therapy, occupational therapy, chiropractors and pain management.... nothing worked, they just kept trying new pharmaceuticals combinations on me. I am not even 30 years old yet, in my short time on this earth i've met a buncha people that are addicted or dependent on prescription meds, especially older people. Most don't even realize the dependance because its doctor approved, you got the medicine from your doctor.... everyone thinks their doctor is looking out in the patients best interest right??

The pain still exist today but i deal with it, it's manageable. I get a good night sleep most nights. I've learned the thing that helps me the most with my pain is regular stretching and exercise.... If I skip stretching in the morning for some reason I will pay for it all day.

Anyone with questions about the Maine Medical MJ program, let me know and I will do my best to answer your question or at least point you in the right direction of getting an answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 05:01 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees
... how is it effecting your town and community?
I can not see it effecting this township in any manner.

Quote:
... Do you think it has potential to bring revenue, business and people to the state, or would you rather not have people at all if they are medical marijuana patients and caregivers??
If the powers decide to tax it, then I can see where it does have the potential to bring revenue to the state.

As I understand it the state did begin a process to authorize out-of-state organizations to one day be allowed to distribute. So any 'business' profits will be strictly profits for non-Maine corporations. Following the precedence set by Maine's gambling powers.

Will this draw patients to Maine? I can not imagine it. If you were a patient looking at moving and comparing each state where this treatment is legal was your primary focus, then I doubt if anyone would choose Maine over the California.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:16 AM

565 posts, read 935,576 times
Got a question about section 8 housing and MMMJ (maine medical marijuana).

I think I will be able to see who asked the question in time, but right now i only got a few comment messages and it doesnt show? I know another forum I use you can't see (who sends those message) until you have 50 posts. Regardless, here is what Americans for safe access says, they are a patient advocacy group:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.asamaine.org/law.html#housing

"Additionally, nothing in Maine's medical marijuana law specifically addresses whether or not a person can be a registered patient and live in subsidized housing. However, under federal law, HUD has clear regulations prohibiting ANY marijuana use in federally subsidized housing (the federal government does not recognize marijuana as being medicine). "
There was an act recently signed by Lepage, strengthening patient rights however it just says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/bills/bills_125th/billtexts/HP095101.asp
"A school, employer or landlord may not refuse to enroll or employ or lease to or otherwise penalize a person solely for that person's status as a registered qualifying patient or a registered primary caregiver unless failing to do so would put the school, employer or landlord in violation of federal law or cause it to lose a federal contract or funding. This subsection does not prohibit a restriction on the administration or cultivation of marijuana on premises when that administration or cultivation would be inconsistent with the general use of the premises. A landlord or business owner may prohibit the smoking of marijuana for medical purposes on the premises of the landlord or business if the landlord or business owner prohibits all smoking on the premises and posts notice to that effect on the premises."

More information on this can be found, it essentially removed the requirement for patients to register with the state and have a mmj "card" to be protected by the law. Now the doctors recommendation is good enough.Personally I don't think one would have a problem with section 8 and mmj here in state unless you were a problem tennant with something else and they just needed an excuse to kick you out.

News article about act:

New Maine marijuana law changes procedures | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

edited this post a bunch to make it easier on the eyes

Last edited by inthetrees; 07-13-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
It has been my observation that Section 8 residents already engage in consuming mass quantities of their drug of choice. Most of them also dose up with malt liquor, Allens LPR, and tobacco. Most of them are gainfully unemployed. Just one more excuse for the potheads to get in my face!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:10 PM

225 posts, read 344,686 times
First of all, that's an unfair observation of Section 8 residents (I am not); many of my friends have Section 8 for various reasons.

I live in a non-smoking building and approached my management by telling them I would not be smoking, but would possibly be cooking, vaporizing, or otherwise using MMJ. I stated that I didn't want any complaints about the "odor" and that the non-smoking "lease" should have a clause that states MMJ is legal, and it is possible to smell it, even if it isn't burning.

They get funding from HUD and they were more than willing to work with me, as long as I submitted a Letter of Reasonable Accommodation to them.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:04 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,397 times
No offense derp, but as a non smoker I'd be pissed if I lived in a non smoking building and could smell smoke from a neighbor.....cigs or pot. Just saying my opinion.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
No offense derp, but as a non smoker I'd be pissed if I lived in a non smoking building and could smell smoke from a neighbor.....cigs or pot. Just saying my opinion.
I live in a non-smoking building and approached my management by telling them I would not be smoking,

Old 03-30-2013, 07:46 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
It has been my observation that Section 8 residents already engage in consuming mass quantities of their drug of choice. Most of them also dose up with malt liquor, Allens LPR, and tobacco. Most of them are gainfully unemployed. Just one more excuse for the potheads to get in my face!
You know, "Section 8 residents already engage . . ." takes them all in. So a very large portion of Maine residents, forced there by economics, are gainfully unemployed, drugged up and drunk, and use any excuse to bother you? Really? Potheads in your face?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
People these days are very creative in how they obtain and enjoy their entertainment. Here's a good example:

'Lone Ranger' Story -Jay Thomas on Dave Letterman

Old 03-30-2013, 10:22 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Just saw where Rep. Diane Russell now has 32 cosponsors on her bill to legalize recreational marijuana in Maine.

Re: the economic impact of medical marijuana. The Medical Marijuana Caregivers of Maine is trying to raise money for an economic impact study. Its legislative liaison, Paul McCarrier, estimates that MM has created or supports 700 jobs in rural Maine for electricians, plumbers, carpenters, and others. Of course, he might be a little biased ...

FMI: Magazine 2013 February - Marijuana in Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine