Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 04:12 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,724,031 times

Advertisements

Now the National Park Service is considering the North Maine Woods National Park because, "it's really dark out there". Hey, you can't make this stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 04:26 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,284,784 times
here is an article on the north maine woods

Maine North WoodsFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Maine North Woods is the northern geographic area of the state of Maine in the United States. The thinly populated region is overseen by a combination of private individual and private industrial owners and state government agencies, and is divided into 155 unincorporated townships within the NMW management area.[1]

The region covers more than 3.5 million acres (14,000 km²) of forest land bordered by Canada to the west and north and by the early 20th century transportation corridors of the Canadian Pacific International Railway of Maine to the south and the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad Ashland branch to the east. It includes western Aroostook and northern Somerset, Penobscot, and Piscataquis counties.[2] Much of the woods is currently owned by the timber corporations, including Seven Islands Land Company, Plum Creek, Maibec, Orion Timberlands and Irving timber corporations. Ownership changes hands quite frequently and is often difficult to determine.

Its main products are timber for pulp and lumber, as well as hunting and outdoor recreation .

Included within its boundaries are two wild rivers of the Northeastern United States: the St. John and the Allagash. The North Maine Woods completely surrounds the Allagash Wilderness Waterway State Park.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:10 PM

2,725 posts, read 6,435,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Is this related to the continued job losses in mill towns that still had some remaining jobs. Did they close the paper mill in Rumford or is it still operating? Could you elaborate a bit more on the transfer of land ownership in the very rural areas of Maine? I know New Hampshire does not face many of these issues due to the fact that it is a much smaller state in land area and many of its unpopulated areas are comprised of national forest lands, state forest lands, and conservation lands.
10 years ago Meade sold 665,00 acres in western Maine and northern New Hampshire. Most lots consisted of 1000-10,000 acres. Meade reserved stumpage on 100,000 acres to supply the mill (Rumford) with pulp for 50 years. Wagner oversees the harvesting of these woods but have taken the approach of harvesting the easiest to get to wood first, making a logging operation exspensive for the local choppers.
Having large parcels in state land or conservationship looks nice on paper but does not put food on the table.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 AM

169 posts, read 283,685 times
I live on the edge of the North Woods and it's a great place, but it is not a place of great wealth. It is a large, relatively undeveloped place. I would say that the only real towns in this part of the world are Jackman, Greenville and Millinocket. There aren't any other towns that really are in the middle of the North Woods.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 AM

169 posts, read 283,685 times
I forgot Ashland, Bingham and Allagash, but the other towns are actually a ways from the North Woods. Rangely and Phillips could be included as well.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,921,697 times
That's the neat thing about Allagash; it's right in the Big Woods and it's at the "end of the road".

Old 11-25-2013, 03:49 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,284,784 times
one of the most scenic rides i drive is rte 26 from newry (outside of bethel) to colebrook n.h
go through grafton notch upton, errol, dixfield notch to colebrook...

went thru there today and a quiet, peaceful spectacular scenic- ride

and this is through the great north woods

i go up this way at least once a month....and i will head off on a tote road if i have 5 minutes and eat a snack or lunch, hopeful to see a moose or deer.... and today i got a treat, i saw a black bear , he meandered around the car, about 50 yards away, very cautious... his nose in the air,,

i got out of the car slowly, he is staring at me through low pine growth-he's far enough away so i have time to jump in the car if he charges (always think the worst) he was pretty good size
he just seemed curious- we stared at each other for 2 minutes-
i whistled and he bolted,,,,

Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 AM

2,725 posts, read 6,435,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
one of the most scenic rides i drive is rte 26 from newry (outside of bethel) to colebrook n.h
go through grafton notch upton, errol, dixfield notch to colebrook...
....then continue on 16 to 17 thru Rangeley and back to rt.#2-the moose loop.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:56 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,944,469 times
To answer the OP's query, from over two years ago: Yes, I believe that northern/western Maine constitute the most remote region east of the Mississippi.

Parts of far upstate NY might qualify, too, or parts of northern VT/NH...

Even north central Pennsylvania, outside of State College, is pretty remote..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine