Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:19 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,774 times

Advertisements

6th inning Yanks are behind Detroit 10 to NOTHING!!

looks like we'll be 8 games up after tonight!!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:12 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Hmmm.....The packers are pretty only popular in the Wisconsin. Minnesota and Illinois sure as heck don't root for them. Well, most don't anyways. Neither do those in Indiana. As for the Falcons, don't forget that there are other teams in the South.

I can understand that watching the Red Sox on tv might have somehting to do with it, but so might the amount of tourist from Boston as well.
Don't want to get into a big argument here, but you raise some interesting points. The Packers were probably my weakest example of other teams with a following beyond their local city, or state, but I do understand that a lot of residents of the U.P. are Packer fans, so apparently they do get some following outside of WI. As for all the relatively new teams in the South, it would be interesting to know--and might cut right to the heart of the question about why people are sports fans at all, as well as fans of particular teams--what happened to people in, say, NC who might have followed the Atlanta teams for years when Charlotte began getting pro teams. Another example of that would be the NFL teams in J'ville and the Tampa Bay area. I always used to hear that the Dolphins were all of Florida's team. Wonder what happened when they added a couple of teams in other FL cities.

Now here's one to show the power of television, specifically which team's games are featured in an area, on the way people in that area will follow the featured team. Supposedly there are people just a bit older than the Boom generation in BOSTON and vicinity who are fans of a NEW YORK team. That team would be the Giants. I read about this one in the Globe back when the Giants won those couple of championships when Lawrence Taylor played for them. In the '50's, when the Redskins had left Boston a number of years before and the Patsies did not yeat exist, the Giants were the NFL team featured in the regional games in New England. So, that's the team they pulled for there. Oh, the power of the boob tube!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:39 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
6th inning Yanks are behind Detroit 10 to NOTHING!!

looks like we'll be 8 games up after tonight!!
16-0! GO TIGERS! GO SOX!

A-rod the poor sport, too bad suckah! That guy would get kicked out of little league, I've seen him resort to such adolescent stunts as knocking the ball out've the 1st baseman's glove, shoving a guy trying to field a ball. He's a child.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:53 AM

I agree....and the guy's GOT talent, but all that attitude just overshadows it. It's always about attitude in the end though isn't it!?

still want to be up a few more games though... can never be far enough out for me!!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I agree....and the guy's GOT talent, but all that attitude just overshadows it. It's always about attitude in the end though isn't it!?

still want to be up a few more games though... can never be far enough out for me!!
I often used tennis champion--professional would be a better term, perhaps--Arthur Ashe as an example of doing the right thing when I was working group with adolescents.
He was known to correct the line judge when a call was wrong, even when he would have been better off points-wise keeping his mouth shut. He certainly never tantrumed out like McEnroe.

I think of Ashe from time to time when I see a ball player having a fit vs. the ump for a wrong (perceived or actual) call.

Ashe was a man of integrity, which is more important than a man winning a call, or a game.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Default a positive thought

Here's a positive thought, which we can use after the darkness that has descended upon Sox fandom in the past three days: Under the lunar eclipse, on that certain October night three years ago, everything changed . . . for the better. Yes, the past three games have been a downer. Yes, in this season when there seem to be a few top teams of similar quality, without one that stands out as clearly THE best team in baseball, there's a good chance that the Sox will get close but then fall short, and that would be disappointing. But now, it's easier to relax and just enjoy the ride, no matter where it might lead. Now the desperation is gone. Now, we've LIVED TO SEE IT. Those old enough to know what I mean . . . know what I mean!

During that moment that changed it all I was watching on television, but I've heard the recording from the radio enough times so that now Joe Castiglione's words are burned into my psyche: "They're all up on the top step of the dugout, lined up along the railing. They're ready to run onto the field the moment it happens! Foulke to the set. The 1-0 pitch . . . SWING, and a ground ball stabbed by Foulke. He has it! He underhands to first, AND . . ."

Yes, everything is different now. Aaaah, bless those Idiots.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Here's a positive thought, which we can use after the darkness that has descended upon Sox fandom in the past three days: Under the lunar eclipse, on that certain October night three years ago, everything changed . . . for the better. Yes, the past three games have been a downer. Yes, in this season when there seem to be a few top teams of similar quality, without one that stands out as clearly THE best team in baseball, there's a good chance that the Sox will get close but then fall short, and that would be disappointing. But now, it's easier to relax and just enjoy the ride, no matter where it might lead. Now the desperation is gone. Now, we've LIVED TO SEE IT. Those old enough to know what I mean . . . know what I mean!

During that moment that changed it all I was watching on television, but I've heard the recording from the radio enough times so that now Joe Castiglione's words are burned into my psyche: "They're all up on the top step of the dugout, lined up along the railing. They're ready to run onto the field the moment it happens! Foulke to the set. The 1-0 pitch . . . SWING, and a ground ball stabbed by Foulke. He has it! He underhands to first, AND . . ."

ahhh....thank you for that post....I feel much better! REALLY!! I can hear Joe's voice too, and that feeling....there's no description for it! Our local radio station carries all the games, and that's part of the run of commercials. The other part of the good news is they only went down 1.5 games.....but seriously!! could you believe that call with Jeter and Euk???....nope, nope, I'm going to reread what you said ogre....

Last edited by mollysmiles; 08-30-2007 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: spelling :)

Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Don't want to get into a big argument here, but you raise some interesting points. The Packers were probably my weakest example of other teams with a following beyond their local city, or state, but I do understand that a lot of residents of the U.P. are Packer fans, so apparently they do get some following outside of WI. As for all the relatively new teams in the South, it would be interesting to know--and might cut right to the heart of the question about why people are sports fans at all, as well as fans of particular teams--what happened to people in, say, NC who might have followed the Atlanta teams for years when Charlotte began getting pro teams. Another example of that would be the NFL teams in J'ville and the Tampa Bay area. I always used to hear that the Dolphins were all of Florida's team. Wonder what happened when they added a couple of teams in other FL cities.
I think that most in the UP are hardcore college ball fans first, then probably Lions fans second. Yes there are some Packers fans up there but the regional rivalry is between the Vikings and Packers. You will see people wearing Packers gear in the Twin Cities, but they are most likely all from Wisconsin.

In the league, I believe that the rival Twins team is the Tigers, but in the hearts of every Twins fan it is the Yankees, and to a lesser degree-the WhiteSox.

I really don't understand why people get so patriotic over a particular team, it makes no sense if you really think about it, but at least it's not soccer (futbol).

Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,155 times
Quote:

this was the highlight of the MFY's season cause they aint goin anywhere in OCT except to the golf course

Old 08-31-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
this was the highlight of the MFY's season cause they aint goin anywhere in OCT except to the golf course
woo hoo! good post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine