Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:55 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THFox83 View Post
I have lived in Maine for all but three years of my life, and I can tell you, Maine is pretty much just cold and isolated. That's it. Ultimately, Maine prides itself on its beautiful scenery and lobster because quite frankly, that's all Maine has to offer; no joke! Moreover, Maine is extremely quiet and sheltered, to the point where youngsters growing up in this state are not afforded a real opportunity to experience diversity, which I think could be a negative thing in the long run. However, if you do NOT like diversity, or you fear the "outside world" for whatever reason, Maine is the perfect place to move to, as it is pretty much all white, demographically. I can honestly say that the best years of my life so far have been the three years I spent living/working in California, because I was able to experience what I would call "real life". Furthermore, if you are not an outdoorsy type of person, Maine is not the place for you. Kayaking and skiing are only fun for so long. lol Personally, I have always enjoyed the fast-paced, active, and unpredictable nature of city life over the absurdly quiet and provincial Maine life. Honestly, Maine life is just way too slow for me, and if you have kids, they will be perpetually bored until they move out of the state (and most likely they will.... practically everyone from my graduating high school class lives and works out of state now... a class of around 260 people). Literally, everyone in my graduating high school class's primary goal after graduation was to get out of Maine; and I can understand why. Simply put: Maine is not a kid friendly state. The Maine Mall (the largest mall in Maine) would be considered a strip mall by other state's standards, there are not a lot of places for kids to hangout, and if your kids are not into the outdoors, I would highly consider buying them lots of books, their own TV, and a video game system, because that is how I managed to keep my sanity growing up in Maine. lol Additionally, the median age in Maine (last time I checked) is 42.2 years, the oldest median age of any state in the U.S. It is a great state, however, if your idea of a good time is sitting on a front porch swing at a secluded cabin somewhere in the wilderness watching a chickadee jump from branch to branch. As I have read in previous posts, I think it would be best to visit Maine a couple of times and have a job lined up before moving here, and be EXTREMELY sure you want to move here before doing so. White collar jobs in Maine are scarce. Mainers like the IDEA of bringing business to Maine, they just don't like the reality of businesses setting up shop in Maine because of environmental concerns, development, etc. etc. If you are in a trade profession or do manual labor, you will have much better luck finding employment. However, I would personally recommend looking into relocating to northern California, Oregon, or Washington state. All three have great scenery, better job markets, diversity, and city life. Maine is seriously soooo sheltered from the rest of the world: Maine news IS the news. When a high school basketball team's state victory monopolizes the local paper's headlines over the capture of Saddam Hussein, you know you are living in a secluded place. Honestly speaking, if you have kids, they will be complaining from the moment they get here about how boring Maine is. Seriously. No lie. Young people are leaving the state in droves. Sure, the crime rate is low and the schools are pretty good (Maine schools are above the national avg. on a number of standardized tests, but that is because kids study a lot because there is nothing else to do), but there are many other places in the U.S. with the same stats that offer much more. Basically, to conjure up an analogy, living in Maine is like watching a baseball game that has gone into never-ending overtime.
Not to minimize the effort of our troops at all, but this sounds pretty refreshing to me Anyone with access to a TV or internet can get the 'hard hitting' news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 AM

192 posts, read 394,418 times
Well living in small town Ohio, and planning a careful move to Maine I see little difference. I currently live in a small town that would fit like a glove in Maine. I have also spent 20 plus years in Columbus, and I agree Maine has no city like that, but for most that is the attraction. Are their undesirable locations in Maine, drugs, prostitution, and problems like everywhere else USA?......YES. Bored kids? YES. My current city has little attraction for kids, but I have found that they do just fine. If not I can usually find something for them to do Our paper also reports more on the local level, our recent fair, FFA, 4H, and the success of our sports team, local politics etc. I would much rather hear about that than Saddam since I feel that story is a little played out! During our many visits all around the state of Maine, I find Mainers to be much like the rest of the world. Is the economy a little more depressed yes it is, older population, yes, but young grad's are leaving the rust belt in droves as well.......always have. Comparing Maine to California well I have no input since I have never lived there, but I don't believe the local PD in Maine had to tear gas the crowds to leave a park or would even consider it? If you let me know what part of Ohio you currently reside in I can give you more detailed info as can the others Ohio transplants. I have also found taxes, cost of living, rentals, utilities quite similar. The only thing I couldn't comment on would be groceries as we haven't bought many there. Maine does get crap loads more snow than us, but as far as the temps they are close. We have visited 3 times in Winter, and if possible you should visit once during that time as well. If you like to keep to yourself for the most part, live a low key life while not trying to push personal beliefs on others you will enjoy Maine. If you want to make a hundred new friends in the 1st month.......well that may be a little harder. hummm that sounds like most anywhere in the USA. Gotta run, but good luck to you. My Daughter is having a membrship drive in the community today for the HS Marching Band. It's on our front page................Guess the Gadhafi story got bumped?

Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
I have lived in Maine for all but three years of my life, and I can tell you, Maine is pretty much just cold and isolated. That's it. Ultimately, Maine prides itself on its beautiful scenery and lobster because quite frankly, that's all Maine has to offer; no joke! Moreover, Maine is extremely quiet and sheltered, to the point where youngsters growing up in this state are not afforded a real opportunity to experience diversity, which I think could be a negative thing in the long run. However, if you do NOT like diversity, or you fear the "outside world" for whatever reason, Maine is the perfect place to move to, as it is pretty much all white, demographically. I can honestly say that the best years of my life so far have been the three years I spent living/working in California, because I was able to experience what I would call "real life". Furthermore, if you are not an outdoorsy type of person, Maine is not the place for you. Kayaking and skiing are only fun for so long. lol Personally, I have always enjoyed the fast-paced, active, and unpredictable nature of city life over the absurdly quiet and provincial Maine life. Honestly, Maine life is just way too slow for me, and if you have kids, they will be perpetually bored until they move out of the state (and most likely they will.... practically everyone from my graduating high school class lives and works out of state now... a class of around 260 people). Literally, everyone in my graduating high school class's primary goal after graduation was to get out of Maine; and I can understand why. Simply put: Maine is not a kid friendly state. The Maine Mall (the largest mall in Maine) would be considered a strip mall by other state's standards, there are not a lot of places for kids to hangout, and if your kids are not into the outdoors, I would highly consider buying them lots of books, their own TV, and a video game system, because that is how I managed to keep my sanity growing up in Maine. lol Additionally, the median age in Maine (last time I checked) is 42.2 years, the oldest median age of any state in the U.S. It is a great state, however, if your idea of a good time is sitting on a front porch swing at a secluded cabin somewhere in the wilderness watching a chickadee jump from branch to branch. As I have read in previous posts, I think it would be best to visit Maine a couple of times and have a job lined up before moving here, and be EXTREMELY sure you want to move here before doing so. White collar jobs in Maine are scarce. Mainers like the IDEA of bringing business to Maine, they just don't like the reality of businesses setting up shop in Maine because of environmental concerns, development, etc. etc. If you are in a trade profession or do manual labor, you will have much better luck finding employment. However, I would personally recommend looking into relocating to northern California, Oregon, or Washington state. All three have great scenery, better job markets, diversity, and city life. Maine is seriously soooo sheltered from the rest of the world: Maine news IS the news. When a high school basketball team's state victory monopolizes the local paper's headlines over the capture of Saddam Hussein, you know you are living in a secluded place. Honestly speaking, if you have kids, they will be complaining from the moment they get here about how boring Maine is. Seriously. No lie. Young people are leaving the state in droves. Sure, the crime rate is low and the schools are pretty good (Maine schools are above the national avg. on a number of standardized tests, but that is because kids study a lot because there is nothing else to do), but there are many other places in the U.S. with the same stats that offer much more. Basically, to conjure up an analogy, living in Maine is like watching a baseball game that has gone into never-ending overtime.
Maine is not a kid friendly state??

Reminds me of the old saying, if you are bored, then you are boring

I grew up in the state, as did my son, and their's plenty to "do" all around.
I had to do chores growing up, and I got an allowance for it- it wasn't given as it is today-the more outside work I did, the more i got paid- A very good lesson early on, makes you appreciate what you have,
many kids were in my neighborhood, back in the day when you could play outside, and your mother came hollering for ya- dinner is ready (suppa)
we played all the kids games outside, and when it snowed, we went sledding
I seem to remember studying and reading alot to, and playing sports at school, and going to the Y
in the summertime, theirs never enough hrs in the day, we went with our friends to, funtown, beaches, camps, fishing, some of us even worked in summer for extra money- I remember playing chess and ping pong for hours-and we loved it-
My son grew up in a different generation, I remember atari in my late teens, and it wasnt all that exciting to me- but i did like the chess cartridge we could play on tv
my son, (late teens now) grew up in the electronic game age- gameboys, video games, and even computers, however, up until the age of 13, he loved to go play a game of pick up basketball, or to the town park and play soccer, and football with other kids
always plenty to do, his fav thing was to go fishing/atv-ing, it was great time between father and son, I miss it,
and snowmobiling, and sliding, we had a blast in the wintertime- he had some friends that didnt have (outdoor(sy) parents, and they loved to come over and go sledding, and sliding,
also remember sleeping out in a tent, and having bonfires
I taught many kids how to fish, not just boys, but girls that liked it

whenever I hear 'NOTHING' for kids, pardon the expression, but thats b.s.

I could go on and on,

Also not all kids-"move away"
my son is in a pharmacy college in maine-he could have went out of state if he wanted to, he may even (gasp) stay and work in maine too, it's his decision.

As far as being sheltered, you may have a slight point comparatively, but if you saw my sons graduating class, you wouldnt be so quick to paint the state with a broad brush

Old 10-29-2011, 07:55 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
For the last 33 years I've lived in Southern Lancaster County, PA---Amish Country. My daughter said she would never come back here again, and then she moved to Oakland CA to be in a city. After living there for three years with her husband, they want to move to a small town with low taxes, and no crime and not a lot to do. But if you are not retired most of Maine north of Portland is too staid for you probably. But if you are, then there are lits of things for seniors to do.

But then I grew up in Carlisle, PA. It was a pretty boring place for me as a kid. I think every place is boring for many kids today, unless you live in NYC or Philly or Sanfrancisco.

I don't think my son will ever move to Maine. There aren't a lot of opportunities for PhD level nuclear astrophysicists.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:47 AM

163 posts, read 295,448 times
Quote:
I don't know if times have changed that much, but growing up in the sixties I had the happiest and most fun filled time of my youth in Maine. As a matter of fact, I would say that Maine is about the best place to grow up. As an adult, trying to make a go of it, maybe not so much.

If you are into all of the latest electronic bs, I guess Maine would be less than ideal, as people in Maine are not as dependant upon those kinds of toys to amuse themselves. I know, I'm generalizing alot. Just my experience.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:38 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,536 times
Quote:
Maine sounds like the perfect place.

I sure wish I had grown up in Maine instead of New York City.

There's more going on in a small pond or in an acre of forest or in a tidal pool than in all of Manhattan, if you know how to look.

Although I will admit there are plenty of cheap thrills in Manhattan, although the price of those cheap thrills is as dear as it can be.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva2011 View Post
low crime is a high priority.
The worst town in Maine is better than the best town in Ohio.

I live in Ohio now and can't get back to Maine fast enough.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
Me and my sisters kids grew up in CA. My son is going to school out here still. My sisters sons now live in Kansas City, MO (musician) and Cornelius, NC (contractor).

Our brothers kids grew up in central ME. They both still live at home. They have a hard time finding and keeping jobs. They have abbreviated opportunites compared to my sisters sons and my son. But they are so attached to my brother and Maine living that they would never live more than a couple hours away from him. I think they'll probably be living with him for the next decade.

But I also know that our cousins and other relatives kids that grew up in Maine have gone on to college and returned to their homes in Maine. Most of my relatives that have always lived in Maine have all their family near them. My family that split coasts from CA to Me was the anomaly. Most stayed in Maine.

I don't know about Ohio much I'd listen to an expert...woxyroxme.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I don't know about Ohio much I'd listen to an expert...woxyroxme.
Aww thanks!

Dramamama and I made it back to Eastport in August, we are counting the days when we will be making the trip in a u-haul.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:58 PM

13 posts, read 15,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Then maybe you should leave.

Not meant to be harsh, but if you do not want to be here, do you need assistance packing?

Everyone should able to live where they want to live.
I would love to leave Maine, but unfortunately I cannot afford to move out of the state because I do not have the money to do so. Why am I in my present pecuniary dilemma? Because I have not been able to find full OR part-time employment in this state for over a year. Why? Because I am not a (a) truck mechanic (b) construction worker (c) farmer (d) lobsterman or (e) warehouse worker (although I applied for a job to work in a warehouse, but I was turned down because I was over qualified). Like I mentioned in my previous post, Mainers HATE businesses coming to this state, which is why Forbes ranked it the worst state in the U.S. to do business in (in part also to the high tax rate and lack of skilled, educated labor..... which employers in Maine don't want, ironically). When I moved out to California a few years ago, I found a job (a good job that I enjoyed!) within WEEKS of living there, whereas it has been over a year since I have been back in Maine and I can't find any work (literally, ANY, in addition to work suited for my degree). I have searched online, the newspaper, job fairs, talked to professionals, been to three different staffing agencies, and still nothing. Moreover, apparently in Maine, when employers post a job ad for employment, it must be a Maine thing that employers are not supposed to call you back or provide you with an update regarding the status of your job application. Very professional, and logical: post an ad seeking employees, then not hire anyone. Good use of company funds... *rolls eyes* So basically, it's because of the terrible job market and lack of opportunity in this state that I cannot earn money to move out. Otherwise, I would leave in a heartbeat! And when I do, you can help me pack. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine